• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Best slug for smoothbore? Choke?

Biscuit

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Norther Cal
Might hunt a place that is smoothbore shotgun only. Never used a slug, need to buy some and get some range time in.

Re: Best slug for smoothbore? Choke?

smooth bore only? just curious but....why? Try brenneke's always had good luck with them.

i'll second "Smoothbore ONLY?!?!?" never heard that one, just sounded odd. I've seen many states/areas that are shotgun only with slugs only and no buckshot, but never a specification on smoothbore.

IN any case to answer your question, assuming this IS the case, you are in luck. get one box of each remington green box punkin balls, brenneke KO slugs, federal rifled slug and winchester "rack master" rifled slugs.

The brenneke and winchester have a "birdie"/stabilizer that stays attached to the slug (referred to as an "impact discarding stabilizer" that helps maintain bore alignment and stabilizes the slug in flight. the federal and remington are pretty much standard fare foster style slugs with a deep cavity in the back that sort of stabilize themselves.

in my experience, most smoothbores will throw the remington stuff fairly well, and will give you 6" accuracy out to 100 yards but the stabilized fare will tighten that up to 3-4" in some cases. 100 yard should be considered your max volley with these and that range for a smoothbore is considered by some to be a "hail mary" shot. keep it to 50 yards and you will hit with just about any of them, but do yourself a favor, your shotty may really prefer one over the other.

All this said, my FIL just picked up a smoothbore barrel for his 870 and it cloverleafs remington green box out to 50 yards and at 100 the slug is still stable and punches a nice round hole, but they are starting to wander a bit this far out getting 4-5" consistenly. Definitely "minute of deer"

good luck with your hunt
cool.gif

Remington's 3" slugs shot really well in the smooth bore barrel I once had.

that's the one part I forgot to mention. I really see no desireable benefit for going to 3" unless you are a masochistic recoil aficionado. The recoil delta from 2.75" and 3" (and even 3.5" if your gun eats them) is significant, and downrange performance is subjectivly near nil. we are not talking about 300 yard accuracy here, we are talking about a chunk of lead with the aerodynamics of a school bus. Just my opinion...I've thrown alot of slugs in the past 20 years and I just don't feel the magnum slugs are worthy of the punishment the shooter takes. Then again...it's not like you are spending hours at the range either. Aside from the initial "what does MY gun like to eat" session, the only time i take the slug gun to the range is to check zero before each season, and I purposefully take 3 slugs with me. I fire two, make adjustment, and confirm. The remaining 7 slugs from the 2 box purchase each year goes to putting 3 does in the freezer and 2 in the food bank.

Here in Cal, the people who make the laws have no idea how actual firearms work. The area I am considering to hunt is a multi-use area frequented by horse-riders joggers and granola people. The powers that be figured that limiting hunting to smoothbore only somehow makes it safer for all.

The only reason I am considering the hunt is that it used to part of a large ranch I used to work as a kid and I know of a spot only accessible by boat that has special memories and large meaty animals.

Does barrel length make any real difference in using slugs in a smoothbore...?

How did you know ?

is that the "urban" snow goose suppressed 12 gauge there?

But in all seriousness, i would consider 75 yards to be the maximum safe shot i would take on a deer with a smoothbore.....Always seems that whenever i've seen a big bastage i'm holding a smoothbore and he's at about 150 yards broadside....

Anyway, I digress.... Def. find what your gun likes to eat, even without rifling they can be temperamental.... Oh and never ever put a slug through a full choke, because you will no longer have a full choke...... I shoot slugs out of a 28" modified 870 barrel and it seems to do all right. I would also stick to 2 3/4" slugs, there's not even enough 'percieved' benefit to make taking that punishment worth it.