• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Small Bore 1,000yd Bolt Gun?

NSKYLINE34

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2022
Seattle
Wanting a small bore bolt rifle for my fiancé and will only be used for fun poking holes in paper and will never be used for competition. I was thinking a 223 because it’s cheap to shoot and low recoil, but then started reading about the 224 Valkyrie - really liked loved everything I heard about it, but seems like it’s not very popular for some reason and I can’t find hardly any factory rifles? i read about a savage 110 in the 224 and was ready to buy one…but I guess they don’t make it anymore so that’s a little harder to do…

I’d like something that is in the $1000 or $1500 with a chassis (not including glass) and would be great if it could reach out to 1,000yd or so at its limits. This is purely something I want to be low maintenance and really reliable and fun for her to shoot.

what caliber would you guys recommend?

She’s not super scared of recoil, but I want something with low recoil so she will shoot the heck out of it and have fun.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
how is the recoil on a 243 or a 270? Only reason I ask is I’m sitting on several thousand rounds of each. (I inherited them)

Is there a happy medium (recoil wise) between a 223 and 308 that’ll reach out to the 1,000yd mark well?

well maybe I’ll have to shop for a 243 - I know a 223 can get to 1,000, but has about zero splash out that far. If that 243 is a better bet, then maybe we can give that a try. I don’t have anything in 243 and am sitting on a pile of Ammo.

I was thinking something like a Tikka or a savage with an AccuTrigger - something with a nice action that can end up going in an MDT chassis down the road…

Reactions: Newbie2020
Have one - little too much sauce even with the hellfire brake.
6mm whatever variant you prefer. I love my 6cm and you can get good factory ammo in 6cm. It has very little recoil, much less than 6.5cm and you could do BR or some other too if you are going to load it for her.

Reactions: NSKYLINE34
well maybe I’ll have to shop for a 243 - I know a 223 can get to 1,000, but has about zero splash out that far. If that 243 is a better bet, then maybe we can give that a try. I don’t have anything in 243 and am sitting on a pile of Ammo.

I was thinking something like a Tikka or a savage with an AccuTrigger - something with a nice action that can end up going in an MDT chassis down the road…
Tikka over savage any day

6mm whatever variant you prefer. I love my 6cm and you can get good factory ammo in 6cm. It has very little recoil, much less than 6.5cm and you could do BR or some other too if you are going to load it for her.

Not too familiar with any of the 6mm’s. Been doing a little reading on them, but still seems like the 224 Valkyrie is better - shocked it never really caught on.

Is there a Tikka rifle/action in particular?
Ctr for me

Dropped in a krg bravo
IMG_5098.jpeg

Also look at a slip on limbsaver recoil pad with whatever you end up with. It will increase length of pull a little, but will absorb ~50% plus of felt recoil. A Good set of earmuffs is in order too.

Not too familiar with any of the 6mm’s. Been doing a little reading on them, but still seems like the 224 Valkyrie is better - shocked it never really caught on.
cz make's a model 600 in 224 valkyrie bolt action . I saw a guy on the valkyrie face book page today all giddy because his rifle come in .

cz make's a model 600 in 224 valkyrie bolt action . I saw a guy on the valkyrie face book page today all giddy because his rifle come in .
Oh heck yea! I’ll have to check it out - what’s the aftermarket part availability for it them?

How would the 224 compare to the 243 in range and recoil?

I'd say the 6mm is preferable but the .224V is definitely a cool round and it's getting more popular in bolt guns too. The 6mm allows a bigger bullet so if she's really going to shoot 1000 yds then I'd do that. All that said, if you are actually sitting on a ton of .243 ammo then go with that.

Wanting a small bore bolt rifle for my fiancé and will only be used for fun poking holes in paper and will never be used for competition. I was thinking a 223 because it’s cheap to shoot and low recoil, but then started reading about the 224 Valkyrie - really liked loved everything I heard about it, but seems like it’s not very popular for some reason and I can’t find hardly any factory rifles? i read about a savage 110 in the 224 and was ready to buy one…but I guess they don’t make it anymore so that’s a little harder to do…

I’d like something that is in the $1000 or $1500 with a chassis (not including glass) and would be great if it could reach out to 1,000yd or so at its limits. This is purely something I want to be low maintenance and really reliable and fun for her to shoot.

what caliber would you guys recommend?

She’s not super scared of recoil, but I want something with low recoil so she will shoot the heck out of it and have fun.

Thoughts?
Get a bolt-action in 6mm ARC... If you handload you can load Nosler 115 RDFs that will be able to reach out there at long distances on targets. Virtually zero recoil. And long barrel life. It would also be fine for deer hunting out to about 300 yards with proper shot placement. With a 16" barrel, I'm getting 2,575 FPS MV average with the 115 RDF's and LeverEvolution powder.

I have one for coyote hunting & target shooting, but it's a little more than your $1,500 budget. But if you can spend more, I highly recommend it. It comes already in a chassis, and with a 20MOA rail, an MDT magazine, and a TriggerTech trigger. So, pretty much slap a scope on it, and rollout.

Same rifle in Night time Mode vs. Daytime Mode...

IMG_3442.jpeg
IMG_8875.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh heck yea! I’ll have to check it out - what’s the aftermarket part availability for it them?

How would the 224 compare to the 243 in range and recoil?
224 Valkyrie can reach to 1,000 yds under good conditions but spotting splash or trace will be difficult. 243 will Buck cross wind better and give more discernible splash. Tikka CTR comes in 243 and will retain its value over time.

Not sure I’ll have to dig it back out. I remember it being a whole lot of misc stuff when I looked a couple years ago.
OK, if it's not 1000yd stuff and a hodge podge of types you might sell that ammo off and get the 224V or hold out for 22ARC availability. In re .223/5.56...I can see 1000yd splash no problem with 77SMK 5.56 loaded to 2725-50fps. 18" AR15. (TX canyon walls) Get a bolt gun with 24" barrel shooting the 77-80gr bullet class and you will have a 1000yd 5.56 no daggum problem.

Sounds like just running the 243 ammo for now might be the way to go. it is a lot of misc ammo, but I want her to be able to get a lot of trigger time and learn a lot - what works and what doesn’t. Then if she keeps loving it - then we will go with something like an MPA or similar. I just want her to put 1-2k rounds down range with something so everything becomes second nature.

I just say I want something that can reach to 1,000 for her to have growing room. She has an AR15 with a 24” barrel in 223 that she runs out to 400-500yd. So wanting her to take the next step and see if she likes it. She’s a hell of a shot so im curious how she will like a bolt gun.

If the 243 is a little too much recoil then I’ll add weight and/or a brake… or worst case I’ll add another rifle to the collection.

We do reload - but I’m not big into it - only do it because it’s a little cheaper and I can reload hand gun rounds lighter recoiling etc. too busy with desert racing to really dive into it and give it the attention it needs to get really good at it. lol

Last edited:
Sounds like just running the 243 ammo for now might be the way to go. it is a lot of misc ammo, but I want her to be able to get a lot of trigger time and learn a lot - what works and what doesn’t. Then if she keeps loving it - then we will go with something like an MPA or similar. I just want her to put 1-2k rounds down range with something so everything becomes second nature.

If the 243 is a little too much recoil then I’ll add weight and/or a brake… or worst case I’ll add another rifle to the collection.

We do reload - but I’m not big into it - only do it because it’s a little cheaper and I can reload hand gun rounds lighter recoiling etc. too busy with desert racing to really dive into it and give it the attention it needs to get really good at it. lol
Remember, barrel life on the .243 Win is not that great. That's a lot of powder and flame being pushed down a small hole. You will probably be lucky to get around 2K rounds of accurate barrel life from one.

Remember, barrel life on the .243 Win is not that great. That's a lot of powder and flame being pushed down a small hole. You will probably be lucky to get around 2K rounds of accurate barrel life from one.
Honestly - if she shoots the barrel out of it - we are going gun shopping to celebrate! :)

My goal is to shoot the barrel out of my 6.5 CM…I’ve still got a wee bit to go lol

You should Google a recoil calculator and plug a few different options in. Is it the noise or recoil that bothers her?

The 6.5cm is a fairly mild round especially with a brake. Adding weight, a stock that fits will do just as much to reduce the recoil as dropping down to a 6mm.

If you already have the ammo the 243 is a easy decision.

Honestly - if she shoots the barrel out of it - we are going gun shopping to celebrate! :)

My goal is to shoot the barrel out of my 6.5 CM…I’ve still got a wee bit to go lol
Checkout one of these... a fast twist Tikka with stainless barrel.

Just keep in mind barrel life is ± 1,250 rounds. Actually never mind that last bit...😄

I built my nine year old daughter a 224 Valkyrie bolt gun for the reasons you describe and for about $1500 in its first iteration.

I used a Stiller Scout from PTG (yes, I’ve had the same issues as everyone else with PTG, but i have two laser reamers and one good action). The action in 6.8 SPC bolt face was on sale for $600. After a custom reamer to avoid factory reamers issues, a Bartlein Rem Varm contour, and a take-off Bergara stock we had a rifle. Its an absolute laser and my daughter warms up at 500 yards before stretching it out. Factory ammo is ok out to 700 yards, but beyond that the ES starts to have big effects. With the little bastard brake and 13 lb weight, it recoils like a 22 mag or similar.

One pic has modified mags shortened. 3 rounds at 100 yards factory, ammo when zeroing. Nothing really wrong with a Valkyrie, but a 6 CM is likely a better alternative for several reasons. I have a 224 AR for my son so my kids are shooting 224 Valkyries. AR is running a Craddick/Bartlein barrel.

IMG_7624.jpeg
RenderedImage.jpeg
IMG_7604.jpeg
IMG_0009.jpeg

Cerakote in house,

KG

Get a bolt-action in 6mm ARC... If you handload you can load Nosler 115 RDFs that will be able to reach out there at long distances on targets. Virtually zero recoil. And long barrel life. It would also be fine for deer hunting out to about 300 yards with proper shot placement. With a 16" barrel, I'm getting 2,575 FPS MV average with the 115 RDF's and LeverEvolution powder.

I have one for coyote hunting & target shooting, but it's a little more than your $1,500 budget. But if you can spend more, I highly recommend it. It comes already in a chassis, and with a 20MOA rail, an MDT magazine, and a TriggerTech trigger. So, pretty much slap a scope on it, and rollout.

Same rifle in Night time Mode vs. Daytime Mode...

View attachment 8306568View attachment 8306573
I have wanted one of these for so long - I love the look and feel. I’ve just read some stuff where the quality seems to be hit or miss…?

I have wanted one of these for so long - I love the look and feel. I’ve just read some stuff where the quality seems to be hit or miss…?
Yeah, that’s somewhat true, but remember, a lot things you read or hear are second-hand, some is personal bias, and the rest is bullshit…And somewhere in the middle is the truth. The internet should fall under the “believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see” advice.

They have recently completely rebuilt the entire company, customer service, manufacturing, etc… They’re not the same company they used to be. All 5 of my CA rifles shoot really well… Sub-1/2 MOA with handloads.

@christensenarms Jimmy can give you some more insight on how much of the company they revamped.

Reach out to me with any questions you may have. I will be very happy to put any questions or concerns to bed for you and anyone else. I shoot multiple of our rifles in PRS competition and have shot targets out to 1400 yards at matches.

As I have talked with @FuhQ about during our conversations as I got his issues resolved a lot has changed here at Christensen Arms over the past 6 months. Anyone that has given the new team here a chance can see that and has been very happy with the results.

Very respectfully,
Jimmy

Literally never occurred to me to just buy a barreled action and drop that into a chassis!

How would the Howa action/trigger compare to a Tikka?
To me, they are about the same with the Tikka being a little smother action wise. Both have grate triggers that can be moded with replacement springs if you need a trigger pull lower then 3LB.

I’m assuming this is basically a bolt together setup right, no machining required kind of thing?
Yes, both are drop in's when you order the correct inlets for the action that you have.

The 6.5cm is a fairly mild round especially with a brake. Adding weight, a stock that fits will do just as much to reduce the recoil as dropping down to a 6mm.
100% true with 6mm Creed being an almost reoiling round when it is in a semi heavy chassis with a break. If your current 6.5mm Creed has a threaded barrel, I would put a break on it and see how you like it.

Be already had a hellfire brake on his 6.5cm. So I was asking if it was the concussion from the brake or the recoil and didn't like. Double up the ear protection and add a little weight would be my first move.

Remember when shooting your hodgepodge 243 rounds you’ll need new dope for each bullet weight or brand of ammo.

I go with the 6.5 CM and the Savage.

Nicer to shoot and its going to do as good as a 308 given the same bullet type.

Have one - little too much sauce even with the hellfire brake.

My 10 year old nephew was shooting the rams at 550 and watching them fall in the scope the first time he shot it, prone with a bipod and rear bag. .243 would be less and just like shooting the 6mm's.

Be already had a hellfire brake on his 6.5cm. So I was asking if it was the concussion from the brake or the recoil and didn't like. Double up the ear protection and add a little weight would be my first move.
Yea, I missed that he has a hellfire break on it now and by what he says, it sounds like it still has too much recoil. Which I am surprised about since my Rem 20" 308 with a Hellfire in a KRG Bravo has almost no recoil.

@NSKYLINE34 Can you post a pick of your 6.5 rifle? Can you also weigh it? I am curious as to what kind of stock it is in.

Yea, I missed that he has a hellfire break on it now and by what he says, it sounds like it still has too much recoil. Which I am surprised about since my Rem 20" 308 with a Hellfire in a KRG Bravo has almost no recoil.

@NSKYLINE34 Can you post a pick of your 6.5 rifle? Can you also weigh it? I am curious as to what kind of stock it is in.
Maybe it’s the noise with a brake and not the recoil at all. I can’t stand brakes even with double ear pro. That concussion can cause as many problems as recoil for some.