• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Small Distillery Bourbon

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
My uncle, that I hunt with in Tennessee, has influenced me into becoming a connoisseur of fine Bourbon. After a great day in the woods, we would end each evening with a highball of quality spirits. I have gotten away from Wild Turkey 101 and worked my way through the Austin Nichols line (Kentucky Spirit, Rare Breed, etc.). After years of bringing a new selection with me for each opening weekend, I think I have found the top of the mountain... Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve from Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery.

Anyone have a selection they could recommend?

Re: Best Small Distillery Bourbon

Yessir! That ol Pappy van Winkle is good stuff! I do know there is a retarded top that knows a thing or two about those older bottles as well.
I have a partial bottle of Pappy's 23 year old sitting here for special occasions.
If you like the Rye, Rittenhouse Rye from Bardstown has a 23 year old barrel too so long as you don't mind the $250 asking price.
Check out the Bardstown Whiskey Society. They hold the range for Elijah Craig(12 is the better one), Rittenhouse, Bernheim's, Evan Williams, and Parker's Heritage.

There are several very small stills producing some really old smooth stuff too. As I said, I leave those names up to that old retarded top because he is the subject matter expert in my not so humble opinion

I don't know alot about Bourbon but I have a bottle of Woodford Private reserve ontop of my fridge that's been treating me pretty well
smile.gif

I have top concur with Switch, the Rittenhouse Rye is fabulous !

Forget wine tasting, every time I am down in KY, I go distillery tasting. Only issue is the longer drives on windy roads, not like napa and sonoma where everything is right next to each other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have top concur with Switch, the Rittenhouse Rye is fabulous !

Forget wine tasting, every time I am down in KY, I go distillery tasting. Only issue is the longer drives on windy roads, not like napa and sonoma where everything is right next to each other. </div></div>

On a nice day that's less of an issue and more of a benefit
smile.gif

Thanks. I'll grab a bottle of the Rittenhouse Rye to bring with me to TN next week.

Well now you guys are touching on something I like!

I've got 4 years until my daughter graduates HS - I want to MAKE my own but I need some good quality spirits - if anyone can help PM me!

On the last child support payment month I will set aside ONE child support payment (It'll be about $750) for a bottle of the fienest bourbon I can get for $750.

All of my friends will be invited over for a shot of it.

How much is a bottle of the Pappy van Winkle ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Pappy is sure hard to beat. </div></div>

It truly is the smoothest sippin' whiskey I have ever tasted.

Toured Buffalo Trace this past year where Pappy is made. They also make another fine one under the name Blantons.

Any tried Joseph Finch?

Can't find it in the last 10 years or so...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I do know there is a retarded top that knows a thing or two about those older bottles as well.</div></div>
You didn't just say that!

The 15 yr old is the only one I have tried. Any more expensive than that starts to get outta my range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I do know there is a retarded top that knows a thing or two about those older bottles as well.</div></div>
You didn't just say that! </div></div>

Hey Doll Face, we have nothin but love for our favorite old retarded top. That's his own title here under his Screen Name
grin.gif

I will keep this to what is called small batch bourbons, that are on my shelf. In no order of preference as I enjoy them all.

Bookers, Switchblade will tell you about a walk around
Bakers
Basil Hayden
Knob Creek
Michters
Black Maple Hill
Four Roses Small batch
Hirsch Selection Small batch
Blantons Small Batch
Jefferson Reserve
Rowan Creek
Noah's Mill
Elijah Craig 12 and 18 year old. I prefer the 12

You taste all of these and I will send you some more to explore.

For an expensive bottle of bourbon, I highly recommend Evan Williams 23 year old. $350 a bottle.

Enjoy the tasting

grin.gif

Walk Around:

Take any old pint glass and fill it with ice to the top. Now take that bottle of Bookers and fill her up. Now you have something to walk around with while you are smoking meat and smoking good cigars on a nice sunny day!

If you ever have the foresight to find one of those great old bottles, find two or three friends and get some good cigars together. No one leaves until the bottle is empty and the cigars are done burning. Only toro size or Churchill will do for this small event, and the bottle has to be good
grin.gif

I highly recommends Switch's idea of a great old bottle, some really great cigars, shared with a couple of friends. An unforgetable event.

Besides, nothing like a couple hundred dollars up in smoke and downing a couple hundred dollars of bourbon.

This event is however not for amateurs.

Enjoy. Life is to be lived.

WD, he was looking for those high falootin bourbons. We all know Bulleit is great daily drinkin, but it is nowhere near the quality of the Rittenhouse Rye 23 year old in which lies the area he wants to play...top shelf man, top shelf!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I highly recommends Switch's idea of a great old bottle, some really great cigars, shared with a couple of friends. An unforgetable event.

Besides, nothing like a couple hundred dollars up in smoke and downing a couple hundred dollars of bourbon.

This event is however not for amateurs.

Enjoy. Life is to be lived. </div></div>

Oh man, that was a hell of a night. Sitting by a fire, good bourbon, Kristoff Maduro that burned clean to the nub. "No on leaves until the bottle is empty and the cigars are nubbed" Yessir, that is the way to do it! If you are new to cigars, might I recommend a bottle of Woodford's Reserve and maybe a few lighter smokes such as the Torano 1959 Exodus. When three amateurs can handle this, the next step would be maybe Camacho 1962's and Buffalo Trace or Knob Creek. The next step would be maybe a Gurkha 1887 and a bottle of BAsil Hayden. Once that is easily handled, then go after the $20+ cigars and the $300+ bottle. Baby steps
grin.gif

SOAB, now I'm heading out the door, heading to Dallas for a bottle of 23 year old Whiskey!!!! LMAO. Damn you guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WD, he was looking for those high falootin bourbons. We all know Bulleit is great daily drinkin, but it is nowhere near the quality of the Rittenhouse Rye 23 year old in which lies the area he wants to play...top shelf man, top shelf!
grin.gif
</div></div>

I like rye in my bourbon, and just haven't acquired a taste for the wheat recipe's like Maker's Mark or WL Weller, now I wouldn't pour it out of my glass if it were there. A snob I am not. High alcohol bourbons like Bookers, Bakers, and Knob Creek are very nice, but I like to enjoy my bourbon without getting looped that quickly, and they tend to be a bit heavy on the ending to my taste. I guess a sophisticate to bourbon I am not. I like Bulleit, Woodford Reserve, and Basil Hayden. But I will definitely put the Rittenhouse 23 year old on my list to try.

Ahhh yeah, the joys a bottle and a great smoke can bring! Time to go chainsaw some stuff outside then get ready to fire up some coals for a Hawaiian Style Throwdown.
We have Char Sui Chicken, Teriyaki Beef, Sticky Rice, Broccolli, and some Lomen will be brought by my friend Metalhead. AFter dinner, we will pour a few glasses of decanted 1990 Jack London Zin and toast one Major Rene Defourneaux as he enters into the halls of Valhallah where he has earned his seat. A glass will of course be poured into the ground for our departed warrior.
All who wear a Green Beret, a Tan Beret, or have tromped teh grounds of battle in an elite unit owe their elite births to this man and those he served with. It was they who started it all back in smoky rooms and ideas on how to do it.
Now let's break out the good stuff, and get to partyin, it's Saturday NIGHT!

Any bourbon that you like is good bourbon. Find your taste and enjoy it.

The local high-end hootch shoppe had a variety of the recommended bottles, but no Rittenhouse. But good news... I did score a bottle of the Booker's, that luckily enough, came ready to fly in a nice wooden box. The hits just kept on coming for me, as I got an opening morning of spring turkey season report from my Uncle. Good news abounds from the Upper Cumberland woods and the turkey to hunter ratio seems high this year. Many Toms were seen by the lucky few that made it to the hunting grounds this morning. I am counting down the hours until I depart and hope that the SWA baggage handlers take it easy on my checked bag containing the precious cargo. Hopefully, by Monday afternoon the Booker's will be unsealed to celebrate a successful venture against a worthy foe. I can guarantee that the bottle will be enjoyed, whether or not any feathers get cut.

Good hunting and enjoy your Bookers. This is high octane stuff, so a splash of branch and little ice is in order.

Enjoy

This might be a perfect opportunity to ask this. I am a "low-end" bourbon, ex-beer-swillin', sort and haven't advanced beyond the Knob Creek, Wild Turkey, Beam - Black Label and the like. But I did try the Elijah Craig 12 year-old...and didn't like it!:eek: I found it strange tasting, with a sort of peculiar "flowery" zing that just didn't agree with me.

So...

Should I just stick to the low-end "swill" I enjoy just fine? Or is the Craig experience non-typical of the higher-end/higher octane hooch?

Any and all advice from the experts welcomed!!

Try the 18, it's not as sweet as the 12, or look at the rest of the stuff like Elmer T Lee, Basil Hayden, Rittenhouse Rye(the regular one). As the the Knob Creek, that's good stuff. You may well enjoy the Booker's too. Check out the Maker's, and the Bernheim's as well, and don't forget the Bulleit. That should empty your wallet for a while as you try them out
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try the 18, it's not as sweet as the 12, or look at the rest of the stuff like Elmer T Lee, Basil Hayden, Rittenhouse Rye(the regular one). As the the Knob Creek, that's good stuff. You may well enjoy the Booker's too. Check out the Maker's, and the Bernheim's as well, and don't forget the Bulleit. That should empty your wallet for a while as you try them out
grin.gif
</div></div>

Sounds good thanks...there's worse ways to blow money!!

I didn't find the 23 but did get Basil Haden, Bookers, and Buffalo Trace....... The Basil is nearly gone now, shared with a few friends, now I'm bored at 2 AM, gonna go light up a Natural by Drew Estate. LOL

Damn Dearle, sounds like a good time!
I poured about a half glass* of Bulleit last night and smoked me a J. Fuego 777. Real dark oily Maduro with lots of rich taste notes. It had a small plug at about an inch, but a quick cut and relight and it was right on the money to the nub

* pint glass with ice...works easier for a larger cigar than a small highball glass will support, basically the equivelent of a half walkaround

Dry Fly, three interesting distillates. Would like to give the gin a try, now that spring is here. Time to break out the martini shaker and bleu cheese stuffed olives or the pickled okra.

Enjoy it all.

Dram, a bottle splits evenly three ways....drinking is serious business.

Anyone familiar with "Catdaddy Carolina Moonshine"? (Link) It was on the shelf at the shoppe next to the usual suspects and caught my eye. Maybe a trial is in order.

Good moonshine is hard to beat. What you are finding in the jars on the shelves of the hooch stores is "White Dog". This is the raw distillate of usually corn mash whiskey. Put corn mash whiskey in new charred white oak barrels and let is age and you have bourbon. The charring and oak gives it that nice brown color.

Still know some good ol boys in southern Indiana and Kentucky that make a litte corn whiskey...burns blue when you light it.

Enjoy it all

Good vodka, yessir! Currently enjoyuing the effects of Texas's Tito's and fresh squeezed OJ, or in the classic sense, a good ol Screwdriver.
Shine, well, shine is shine until it's aged as RJW says in a good burned oak barrel for a few years, or well, like 8 - whatever or however long a guy can wait. Maybe that's the reason we buy it instead of make it
grin.gif

** Update from God's Country Tennessee

Half a bottle of Booker's gone and a BIG bird in the bag. Mr. Switchblade and Mr. RJW, I tip my chapeau to you, sirs. My Uncle is quite pleased with the whiskey and a fine day in the woods ended successfully. Great friends made in the bonds of hunting and fine whiskey enjoyed. This is what makes the difference between simply living and enjoying life.

I loft my UT colored highball glass to you!!

No reason to toast ME! When it comes to Bourbon, I am truly a dillitante. I ALWAYS defer to the subject matter experts and from what I have seen, one RJW is that individual when it comes to Bourbon. Anyone that has learned from the Master's like Parker Beam and has learned all the things we are still learning when it comes to Bourbon should be given that due respect.
WE ARE NOT WORTHY!
I remember a day when I stood in awe of a cabinet that to my knowledge was not missing anything the Bourbon world had to offer. I tell you, it was like looking upon a heavenly thing. To open a single bottle of 23 year old and inhale the scent of dried apricot, caramel, vanilla and spice and just know this was what was waiting in heaven for good men was a memory I shall never forget. One day I too will have a cabinet that wants for nothing more, but that is still a few years off for this Bourbon tasting dillitante.
To Life, Liberty, and The Hunt Ladies!
grin.gif

Maker's Mark, and Bernheim, good wheat based Bourbon's. I have some great friends who only drink Maker's Mark...like dang fish! Bird and Faye love the stuff!
Now I know RJW will describe it much better than I but here goes:

Wheat whiskey is made from Winter wheat and known for it's softer, sweeter flavors and lighter finishes. When opened and poured into glass, these whiskey's should release a nose of vanilla, sap, graham and a bit of honey. On the palate one should find light acidity with a bit of charred oak and light toffee with a warming finish.

Both are lighter bourbon's that are currently not on my shelf, but I plan to find some Bernheim's and give it a try since I have a rebate coupon from Bardstown
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...what do you guys think of maker's mark...???... </div></div>

I love it! A good pard turned me onto it this year at Elk camp......

Apparently I need to get my hands on some Pappy Van Winkle. Unfortunately, it is hard to come by on the left coast...Thank goodness I will be stationed back east come December. Woodford Reserve is my personal favorite and at around 30-35 bucks a bottle it is down right affordable.

Josh