• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Solution for Thermal/NV on a medium range do-all rifle?

WindstormSCR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2021
Maryland
So in the context of someone relatively new to the full NV game who is looking to spend money wisely, what solution would be considered the best option for NV and/or thermal on a rifle that normally rolls with a 2.5-20 NX8 and offset RDS?

Ideally NV/Thermal fusion would be the holy grail, but if I had to have one or the other I don't really have the present experience to say which of the two is better for my use case, thus the question.

Rifle is a 20" .308/6.5CM (barrel interchangable) MDRX, and shots could be as close as 10m or as far as 950m. The Scope is on a Bobro Engineering mount, so can be removed if needed without losing zero, the RDS is on a torqued arisaka canted mount.

Tried to do some research into the profusion of clip-on and dedicated scope topics here, but the more I read the more I felt making a thread seeking advice was appropriate.

As far as things already settled on more or less: single PVS-14 helmet mount, and a raid-xe for on-rifle LAM/illum

not averse to pricier items if it's in the "buy the right thing once, cry once" kind of category, even if it may take longer to attain.

Sounds like you've got your short range solution covered with the -14 & Raid.

For ranges beyond the effectiveness of a laser, you're either going to want a dedicated sight or a clip-on. The C35 would get my vote, but any choice you make will still change your goal of "up to 950 meters" capability. There are only so many pixels that illuminate target heat signatures, and even stationary geometric fixed objects can be difficult depending on size. You could step up to a ClipIR-LR as well.

From a NV perspective, you won't pick-up targets nearly as fast as you would otherwise with Thermal. Generally speaking, Thermal is the way to go if you are targeting fleshy creatures. Shooting steel on a square range or in area with sufficient illumination (on your rifle or otherwise) where PID is critical, NV applications are typically king.

Generally speaking, the high priced items extend your capability in the long range realm. You also get more desirable features. Just remember, the tighter the FOV, the further you will be able to accurately see and shoot at a refined aiming point.

After your PVS-14 and laser acquisition, I'd look hard at a thermal device.

Give me a call if you want to talk shop.

Preston

Reactions: DIBBS
Sounds like you've got your short range solution covered with the -14 & Raid.

For ranges beyond the effectiveness of a laser, you're either going to want a dedicated sight or a clip-on. The C35 would get my vote, but any choice you make will still change your goal of "up to 950 meters" capability. There are only so many pixels that illuminate target heat signatures, and even stationary geometric fixed objects can be difficult depending on size. You could step up to a ClipIR-LR as well.

From a NV perspective, you won't pick-up targets nearly as fast as you would otherwise with Thermal. Generally speaking, Thermal is the way to go if you are targeting fleshy creatures. Shooting steel on a square range or in area with sufficient illumination (on your rifle or otherwise) where PID is critical, NV applications are typically king.

Generally speaking, the high priced items extend your capability in the long range realm. You also get more desirable features. Just remember, the tighter the FOV, the further you will be able to accurately see and shoot at a refined aiming point.

After your PVS-14 and laser acquisition, I'd look hard at a thermal device.

Give me a call if you want to talk shop.

Preston
Thanks, I took a look at your site and that C35 is hard to beat for value and cost. I think the best thing I can do for now is do what you suggested and do the PVS and LAM first, and build my experience with it before looking at other things.

I suppose a tangentially related question that others in the same boat may have but may not have asked outright: In the opinion of the 'experts' is it a better move to save and go with a dual-tube device to start with if you eventually intend to go binocular, or is starting with a single PVS and then using a bridge mount the better entry? especially if the plan is to eventually use something like a PAS-29 with one of them. Price seems to work out about the same either way.