• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best Spotting Scope...$300-$500 Range

He Shoot Me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
No. Cal.
I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm trying to get set-up for hunting this season, and I need a little advise. From what I've read in the Hide the Bushnell 1500 looks like looks like the range finder for my price range. Now I would like to hear your opinions on spotting Scopes. I did see Lowlight's thread on the Bushnell, but I'm afraid it may not be available anytime soon.

Thanks,

-Pat

Re: Best Spotting Scope...$300-$500 Range

Thanks you guy's.

I've been doing a little searching and that Konus keeps popping up. I'll have to take a closer look at it.

If the Bushnell comes out in June I could wait for it. I'm looking forward to L.L.'s review this weekend.

-Pat

I have a Konus 80mm spotting scope. It is surprisingly clear and bright. I actually compared it to my dad's fixed 20x Leupold Gold Ring. With the Konus turned down to 20x we couldn't see any difference in brightness or clarity. We know there had to be some but we couldn't see it.
I use mine a lot in Bullseye pistol. I have no trouble seeing .22 holes in a black bullseye at 50 yards. Sometimes it gets cloudy and/or late and the light gets dim. The scope surprises everyone who looks through it.
There is a guy who sells the Konus scopes with the guarantee that if after a year you don't like it he will buy it back. I don't think he has had to buy one yet.
The only downside to it, and this is common, is that the tripod sucks wind.
The upside is pretty good optics, a 45* eyepiece with a ring that allows the body to be rotated. I have used mine prone, sitting and standing with no problems. The eye relief is alos very good. I use mine wearing glasses and it is easy to see even cranked up to 60x. .223 bullet holes are easy to see at 200 yards if on a light colored bullseye- nothing can see them at that range on a black bullseye.
The 80mm is a great range scope but might be a little big and heavy for hunting. Konus makes smaller scopes but I only have experience with the 80mm.
I honestly believe you would need to go to a much more expensive scope to get a better scope.

Jim

If its gonna be a fiels scope the Konus is to big and I question its integrity for field conditions.

Eric look through one of the Leupold Sequoia scopes before you buy one. Before I bought the Konus I looked around everywhere. I checked out every scope in stock that was on someone's shelf.
I wanted a Sequoia until I looked through one. It's eye relief is very short. I couldn't use it wearing glasses, even uncorrected shooting glasses. The optical quality seemed disappointing too.

This is definately a subject where you should go to the range and check out what everyone else is using. At my club if someone asks to look through a scope to see if they like it we are happy to help. Check at your local range and look through as many as you can before deciding.
Don't buy because of price alone.

Jim

If you keep you eyes on Ebay every once in awhile you will see one!

Bausch & Lomb Balscope Sr.!! I have my Grandfathers and with the 20x eyepiece it's clearer than any other scope I have including the Kowa. You can see them on there for $200-$400!

My Long range glass is a set of Oberwerk BT-100's. You can interchange standard 1 1/4" telescope eyepieces to change the power! This glass I picked up for $500. However, they list for $1800+ but are worth every penny. You can catch these on Ebay every once in awhile for a good $$$.

Terry