• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Spotting Scope for past 1 mile

Jimmy D in AK

Myrmidon
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Alaska (AK)
Hey Fellas, I’m currently running a Swaro STR-80 w20x-60x eyepiece. Is there an advantage to going to a larger objective (95mm?) or more power (say a doubler) for ELR spotting past a mile?

thanks

James

Not that I've noticed. Mirage/air quality is the big issue, and magnification does not help with that. I've got as far a setting up the 10" Meade with an inverting prism and it's not a huge improvement over my 80mm Pentax (though it is killer when setup with night vision).

Spotting at ELR ranges is more dependent on the backdrop, bullet weight/velocity and bullet type than it is on the scope itself. Small solids at low impact velocities on a plate surrounded by vegetation or wet earth are pretty much invisible. Hell, even if you hit the plate you may see nothing at all.

Large diameter, heavy bullets, especially of conventional construction, used with a dusty clear backdrop, a free hanging plate with a hit indicator make 7x binos usable for spotting at 2k meters. We use three section plate setups so they are light enough to move when hit, Magnetospeed hit indicators and then drag big circles around the target area when we do the XLR class and that works even with the smaller .30 cals.

Larger objective means more light so yes, there are advantages. However, you are always gonna be limited by mirage.

That being said, a good spotter and good conditions to see misses i.e. soft dry ground are more important in my opinion.

If you’re gonna go big, take a look at the 115mm. Got a buddy with one on the way. Can’t wait for the report. For the price it should be spectacular.

Reactions: Jimmy D in AK
Paul Phillips who is one of the best ELR shooters and probably the best spotter in the game prefers to spot using his rifle. If you are talking about spotting outside of a match then use a camera. You are just guessing far too often otherwise.

-Alex

Attachments

• IMG_2792.JPG
    IMG_2792.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
Reactions: Jimmy D in AK