• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best Spotting Scope under $250?

Asmodeus

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Bucks County, PA
As the title says, I need a new spotting scope, and at the moment my budget is limited. I see a lot of stuff in my price range, but few have them in stock locally and the cheaper ones I've looked at have been pretty crappy.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a spotter in this price range?

Re: Best Spotting Scope under $250?

I would say Orion Apex. You can go Google it. Works for me out to 400 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angelone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@ I would say Orion Apex.

this is a astro scope!!
you cant shoot the man in the moon </div></div>

There is a spotting scope version.
http://www.telescope.com/control/pr.../~pcategory=spotting_scopes/~product_id=09820

Unlike low priced refractor based spotters, the Mak design is inherently apochromatic so you can run it at higher magnifications without getting purple fringing. Cheap spotters of the refractor design goes to pot rapidly after 35-40x.

I've been investigating this exact topic as well, and have only come up with several used Bushnell's on Ebay.

If anyone else has any opinions based on experience for scopes in this price range, I'd be most appreciative.

The 90 mm Orion looks like a good idea. It comes standard with the necessary parts for terrestrial viewing, and I already have good tripods available from my photography equipment. Plus I found an oprn box deal at an even better price.

I think I'll get a T-adapter too, so I can use it with my cameras.

And one extra hint, if you buy a 40mm Plossl eyepiece off ebay, you will get 28mm of eyerelief while getting a very clear 30x as well.

I've thread the Apex into my DSLR before through a T adapter and it is a passable telephoto lens.

Fixed power eyepieces (that are interchangeable) gives superior images to the zooms that come with low priced spotters.

search the net for ALPEN. I had a $1200 Kowa...I bought an ALPEN 20-60x 65. I put them side by side looking at the same things at the same distances on various power settings...The Alpen was Every bit as good as the Kowa and may have been a bit brighter even. I forgot the exact cost, but under $300. Needless to say..I sold that Kowa quick! I am not sure that the Alpen is as duable if it is dropped or sees rough use, but if you are just using it on the range...it will do everything you need it to do. I even could see 223 bullet holes at 300 yards on a clear day.

I ll put in my two cents worth. It may be slightly more than $250 but I have done some side by side comparisons of different spotting scopes at the local sportshouse. looking at bolts on signs across the parking lot and such with the spotters mounted on camera tripods. My vote is take a hard look at the vortex line

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">search the net for ALPEN. I had a $1200 Kowa...I bought an ALPEN 20-60x 65. I put them side by side looking at the same things at the same distances on various power settings...The Alpen was Every bit as good as the Kowa and may have been a bit brighter even. I forgot the exact cost, but under $300. Needless to say..I sold that Kowa quick! I am not sure that the Alpen is as duable if it is dropped or sees rough use, but if you are just using it on the range...it will do everything you need it to do. I even could see 223 bullet holes at 300 yards on a clear day. </div></div>

I agree, I compared my $169 Alpen to many and it stands along side them for a range spotter. I like it better than the new Bushnell and if some of the high profile team here would try one, I think Alpen would be a star here. I like the long eye relief, like 20mm, lot longer than most others. Yep it feels cheap but its small, bright and I can see 308 holes to around 350 on white stock paper, longer with shoot n c.