• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best spotting scope with reticle?

Neff991

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2017
Ft Plain NY
Im getting a great deal on a MK4 from Leupold and I think its a pretty damn good spotter but I would like to hear others opinion. I'm surprised more companies dont offer it.

Reactions: LG65CM
Plus one for the hensdolt 60 for use in long range deer hunting and competition

Hensoldt Spotter 45 or 60.

I've yet to see a bushnell, Vortex, etc. come close to matching it and trust me as a sniper instructor, I've spent way more time behind spotters then I have ever wanted to. Only thing the comes close (but still aways back) is the old Leupold 12-40x60mm Gold Ring with the reticle but I don't thing they make them anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Painterbolt
i just bought a mark4 20-60x80 a few months ago...we set it up after a match not long after i got it side by side with a vortex razor hd 20-60x85 and a swarovski 20-60x85 and 9 guys looked through them...the vortex was dismissed right away by all 9 guys... 7 of the 9 said the leupold was clearer brighter and had a sharper image...obviously the owner of the the swarovski thought his scope was much better...i though my leupold was clearer brighter and had a sharper image but i thought the swarovski had a little better color.

Those towers are about 5 miles and the sun was just to the right of them...

Attachments

• 6A9F4CB3-499C-4910-9C97-F2B6FC35C651.jpeg
    6A9F4CB3-499C-4910-9C97-F2B6FC35C651.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 609
Absolute best, spotter 45. Best for the money/second best Leupold MK4.

Swaro has had one out with a reticle and their glass is phenomenal but I haven't played with the the reticle model enough to give an opinion, I only briefly glanced through one last year with nothing else to compare it to at the time.

If I was ROing a stage and starring through glass all weekend I'd want nothing short of the Hensoldt or a Swaro for glass quality. For occasional spotting I'd rather put the $3K towards something else and get the Leupold. Natchez has some killer deals on them with Horus reticles right now which is the way to go IMO.

I sold my MK4 spotter last year to upgrade to a spotter 45 and still haven't made the purchase. I just haven't missed having a spotter with a reticle nor have I found myself using a spotter at all.

Another option is high powered binos like the Swarovski SLC 15's. A buddy of mine shot a 22 match with me last year, beat me with my own rifle and got a set off the prize table and after playing with them a little I'm sold and will probably be buying a set for myself. You get a ton of FOV for viewing/finding multiple targets, enough magnification for spotting, and enough magnification to pick up/read mirage.

minox also has a spotting scope with a reticle minox MD 80 ZR and if its anything like their rifle scopes they would be very nice

I have a Henny Spotter 60, which I still love, but I just spent some time behind the Swaro STR 80, and.....
  • Swaro is brighter, with its 80mm objective
  • Swaro has a reticle that illuminates bright orange, even in bright daylight. Henny cannot illiminate like this.
  • Swaro has reticle elevation and windage hash marks at many fractional points. Henny is a staight and weird L-shaped Mildot, which is less than ideal.
Henny is a much more compact package than the Swaro, if you need to pack it. This is good. Not sure about the relative weights...

Just sayin'. The Swaro is NICE!

Last edited:
I have the Swarovski STR 80 I like that you can turn off the retical when not in use. It is a very nice feature if you’re going to use your spotter at the range as well as in the field hunting.

Been going back and forth between the STR and STX, like the modularity of the STX/ATX to change objectives if you wanted but I want that reticle. I like the fact I can turn the reticle off when I just want to glass and can turn it back on when you are at the range or a match.

i just bought a mark4 20-60x80 a few months ago...we set it up after a match not long after i got it side by side with a vortex razor hd 20-60x85 and a swarovski 20-60x85 and 9 guys looked through them...the vortex was dismissed right away by all 9 guys... 7 of the 9 said the leupold was clearer brighter and had a sharper image...obviously the owner of the the swarovski thought his scope was much better...i though my leupold was clearer brighter and had a sharper image but i thought the swarovski had a little better color.

Those towers are about 5 miles and the sun was just to the right of them...
I just bought another ARD for my Leupold GR, the normal retail is about $233.00 but I just got another one for around $70.00

I have the 12x40 Mark 4 spotter, it does everything I want at a great price point. Its has good glass, it’s compact, supported by the aftermarket and it’s got good eye relief. Are there better out there sure, but the money you save over a swaro or Hensoldt will buy you a lot of other gear!

The Hensoldt is the nicest, everyone says that. I was gonna save for one but a divorce disrupted that, figured I'd have to save for a while to get the Leupold. Wanted the 60x, probably would have settled with the 40x. But I ended up with a USO spotter for $600 and I doubt there's a tougher one. Glass is nice in it and with this little custom eye cup the eye relief isn't a problem. Has the same milGAP reticle I have in two scopes on two of my nicest rifles, so that was a plus for me. And even if I'm able to get a nicer spotter somewhere down the road, this one is still a great field setup. Just wish I could find an ARD and another cap to fit it; may have to get ingenious.

The Hensoldt and Leupold also have a lot more aftermarket stuff made for them. You can mount LRF's and spotters and reflex sights and even a damn cup holder. Different covers, adapters, you name it. Nothing for the USO and I bet there's nothing for that Bushnell either. Or any of the straight spotters. I was lucky and a member here made me a really nice mount the spotter will fit in and the LRF will sit on top. But you won't find anything like that at a store, the best solution I could find short of the custom one was a dual camera mount where they go side by side, which sucks for obvious reasons.

The Optolyth TBG 80 is one that is often overlooked. A fixed 30x eyepiece is available with a mil scale in it. The mil scale is L shaped and leaves the center of the field of view open. The reticle rotates 360 degrees independent of the lock ring, so can be oriented at any point around the field of view.

For field use, I use a Leupold. Where weight s not an issue, I have a NF 20-70. Truly awesome scope.

eta: sorry, the NF does not have a reticle. :-(

I have a folder full of research info on spotting scopes, including the types bird watchers use. I ended up buying the Luepold Mk4 20-60x80 w/TMR. Was lucky as Optics Planet had them on sale plus it came with a $250 gift cert. I am totally satisfied with my choice. It is clear and sharp through-out its zoom range. Does not get 'fuzzy' at 60. If you can get one at a good price as you mention, I'd go for it.

Makes me wonder if Leupold is about to release a Mk 5 spotter. Scopes and binos are already out, so it stands to reason that there is something going on to instigate clearing out the Mk 4 spotters...

Just thinking out loud here...

Reactions: 96C
What covers/cases are people running on their STR 80’s? Per eurooptic Swarovski does not make a stay on case for this model.

Makes me wonder if Leupold is about to release a Mk 5 spotter. Scopes and binos are already out, so it stands to reason that there is something going on to instigate clearing out the Mk 4 spotters...

Just thinking out loud here...
Of all the Mark 4 stuff Leupold has their 12-40 spotter is probably the best thing they have. I had one for a couple years and really love how compact it is. the mag range is perfect for most match applications and ranges. I did drink the Kool-aid and bought a Swaro STR 65 with the wide angle eyepiece. At times I wish I had less mag range than 25, for better field of view when switching target to target but the glass is no comparison to the Leupold. I used the STR for hunting this fall and loved how I could use it without the reticle for a clearer picture watching elk at 2 miles away, the leupold would have made that very difficult with the reticle always in view.

I would have no hesitations buying a Leupold Mark 4 as a dedicated spotting scope though, I wonder how they would actually improve on that design with a mark 5 option.

I've seen the STR 80 25-50X Wide Angle, the Leupold Mk 4, and both the Hensoldt Spotter 45 and Spotter 60.

I chose for the Spotter 45. I like the Horus H32 in the Spotter 45 much better than the L-shaped reticle in the Spotter 60. The Spotter 45 has a wider field of view than the STR 80 Wide Angle at the same power; plus, the STR 80 eats batteries fast. The STR 80 is quite a bit bulkier than the Hensoldts, too.

IMG_0298.jpeg

Of all the Mark 4 stuff Leupold has their 12-40 spotter is probably the best thing they have. I had one for a couple years and really love how compact it is. the mag range is perfect for most match applications and ranges. I did drink the Kool-aid and bought a Swaro STR 65 with the wide angle eyepiece. At times I wish I had less mag range than 25, for better field of view when switching target to target but the glass is no comparison to the Leupold. I used the STR for hunting this fall and loved how I could use it without the reticle for a clearer picture watching elk at 2 miles away, the leupold would have made that very difficult with the reticle always in view.

I would have no hesitations buying a Leupold Mark 4 as a dedicated spotting scope though, I wonder how they would actually improve on that design with a mark 5 option.
Better glass.

I run a Hensoldt Spotter 45 now, but think a Mk5 (with the improved glass in that line) would be well received by the market.

I'd asked the same question a couple months ago. I looked and looked and looked some more for a Henny 45 for sale and haven't seen on up for sale in months. I ended up with a Leupy Mk4. Its great for the money, but I'd kill to have a Spotter 45!