• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best SR25 (16" 308) Optic?

zekers7

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2017
Im really torn here. Have a ATACR 4-16x right now but the field of view is small and its larger/more cluttered than it needs to be. Any other ideas? Rapid rounds on target to 800 yards or so. Razor HD 1-10x comes to mind, and have an eye out on the Athlon 1-10x but its more Christmas tree style vs a calibrated BDC.

The perfect optic would be a NF CQBSS in 1-10x format with the CMR-W reticle but not only do they not exist but the 1.1-8x arent available. Sig tango6 extended range 7.62 is great but only 1-6x (which is on the lower end of what im looking for)

I'm running a S&B 5-20US on mine but i'm going to move the S&B 5-20US to a new SR25 in 6.5cm

I have a feeling I'll be putting a NF 1-8 ATACR on it or maybe buying a Leupold CQBSS 1-8 (Haven't had a chance to put hands on the Leupold)

My buddy (@MNTC ) runs a S&B US 5-20 on his with offset RDS on his SR25, he attended a Knights school in LV earlier this year and rocked it with this combo, don't think he'll be changing anytime soon.

Keep in mind the Vortex Gen III 1-10 moa reticle is a bdc that only goes to 600 yards, for large frame AR I prefer to have something that can take me further than 600 so I'd recommend the mrad reticle (but this is not BDC). I have grown very fond of the new SAI 6 1-6x24 and the CX9001 reticle which is a blend of BDC and mrad out to 800, yes it is limited to 6x but optics are very good. Most BDC LPVO reticles are calibrated for M855 ball ammo and while many also say 7.62 ammo you definitely want to make sure that your rifle with your barrel and your ammo and your atmospherics work, because BDC reticles are calibrated for a specific barrel, with specific ammo and specific atmospherics - if it works then great, but if it doesn't now you have to compensate which removes the "speed" of the reticle and allows for the potential to miss under pressure, where if you train yourself to always learn your DOPE and mrad you eliminate those issues.

It seems like you'd prefer a calibrated BDC reticle more than a standard mrad tree reticle, if that is not the case then there may be other options for you. I think Leupold has some dedicated 7.62 BDC reticles.

Too bad Night Force doesn't still make the F1 Reticle LV.5. On my LMT MWS 18" stainless I have the NXS LV.5. Can dial or use the tree.

SR25
My buddy (@MNTC ) runs a S&B US 5-20 on his with offset RDS on his SR25, he attended a Knights school in LV earlier this year and rocked it with this combo, don't think he'll be changing anytime soon.

Keep in mind the Vortex Gen III 1-10 moa reticle is a bdc that only goes to 600 yards, for large frame AR I prefer to have something that can take me further than 600 so I'd recommend the mrad reticle (but this is not BDC). I have grown very fond of the new SAI 6 1-6x24 and the CX9001 reticle which is a blend of BDC and mrad out to 800, yes it is limited to 6x but optics are very good. Most BDC LPVO reticles are calibrated for M855 ball ammo and while many also say 7.62 ammo you definitely want to make sure that your rifle with your barrel and your ammo and your atmospherics work, because BDC reticles are calibrated for a specific barrel, with specific ammo and specific atmospherics - if it works then great, but if it doesn't now you have to compensate which removes the "speed" of the reticle and allows for the potential to miss under pressure, where if you train yourself to always learn your DOPE and mrad you eliminate those issues.

It seems like you'd prefer a calibrated BDC reticle more than a standard mrad tree reticle, if that is not the case then there may be other options for you. I think Leupold has some dedicated 7.62 BDC reticles.
Is the SAI fast enough to use inside of 50y @1x or would you prefer to roll into an offset RDS if you had one mounted ?

I'm diggin the reticle for DMR style activities but I can't tell if it can keep pace with more "dynamic" shooting 🤠.

Thanks. TP...

Last edited:
OP,
I'm in a similar boat.
I just did very well at a SPR match this past weekend with a NXS 2-10 and an offset SRO on a small bore AR. Targets out to 800yds. I might run the same on my large bore that I'm getting in.

SR25

Is the SAI fast enough to use inside of 50y @1x or would you prefer to roll into an offset RDS if you had one mounted ?

I'm diggin the reticle for DMR style activities but I can't tell if it can keep pace with more "dynamic" shooting ? 🤠.

Thanks. TP...
I wish the SAI was not a BDC. The reticle would’ve been perfect in a mil scale.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
SR25

I'm diggin the reticle for DMR style activities but I can't tell if it can keep pace with more "dynamic" shooting ? 🤠.

Thanks. TP...
Fast enough for "me" or fast enough for "you", that's always the difficult question. With the design of the CX9001 the four bullets that point toward center make it fast for me even without using illumination where the Vortex is relying on its nuclear bright illumination, two different styles but I think both are effective. I will say I think I am liking the four bullets of the CX9001 better than the traditional horseshoe style reticles that have dominated the LPVO market for years, cleaver idea and I appreciate the thinking outside the box on this one.

The nx8 2.5-20 is small, light, and the low end is nice on an AR. The glass isn't up to ATACR qualities, but the adjustable parallax is going to allow you to resolve finer images at say 1000m than say a 1-8 or 1-10.

If you want to jump higher I'd look at the S&B 3-20 US

This is gonna sound budget but the PA platinum ACSS is dead nuts on out to 800 on the BDC. Looking for more of a DMR roll

Reactions: Jsp556
This is gonna sound budget but the PA platinum ACSS is dead nuts on out to 800 on the BDC. Looking for more of a DMR roll
The PA platinum series are good optics. I like the Griffin Mil better than my NX8.

Primary Arms PLx 1-8x24mm W/ACSS Griffin MIL or the Primary Arms GLX 2.5-10 W/ACSS Griffin MIL

For the past 4 months I have been cobbling together components for my SR-25 build. I found a new Leupold Mark8 1.1-8x w/H27 reticle that will be in a Spuhr QD mount. I am waiting on a KAC 14.5" CC URX4 upper assembly to finish.

I have some of the optics mentioned on other 16" or shorter mounts. They each have their strengths.

11.3" Wilson Combat 6.8 SPC II
S&B 1-8X Dual CC MDR-T6 recticle w/ GDI mount

16" HK 5.56
S&B 3-20X US Tremor 2 reticle w/ GDI mount & Aimpoint T-2

16" LaRue OBR 7.62
S&B 5-25X H59 reticle w/LaRue LT111 QD mount
Good for 800 meter first round hits.

IMG_9599KAC SR-25 COMPONENTS NOT THE UPPER ASSEMBLY 06.13.21 copy.jpg

IMG_8414 copy.jpg

IMG_2325 copya copy.jpg
DSCN2896a copy 2.jpg
DSCN2740e copy 3.jpg

Reactions: charnicus
For the past 4 months I have been cobbling together components for my SR-25 build. I found a new Leupold Mark8 1.1-8x w/H27 reticle that will be in a Spuhr QD mount. I am waiting on a KAC 14.5" CC URX4 upper assembly to finish.

I have some of the optics mentioned on other 16" or shorter mounts. They each have their strengths.

11.3" Wilson Combat 6.8 SPC II
S&B 1-8X Dual CC MDR-T6 recticle w/ GDI mount

16" HK 5.56
S&B 3-20X US Tremor 2 reticle w/ GDI mount & Aimpoint T-2

16" LaRue OBR 7.62
S&B 5-25X H59 reticle w/LaRue LT111 QD mount
Good for 800 meter first round hits.

View attachment 7646076

View attachment 7646081
View attachment 7646077View attachment 7646079View attachment 7646080
How do you like the Leupold CQBSS?

I’d either stick with that the 4-16 ATACR or buy the 1-8 ATACR.

Is weight a factor?

Ended up going razor 1-10x on my scar and MK6 3-18x CMRW on the SR25. Couldn't be happier

Reactions: Itsadryheat