• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best starter AR

witchazel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2017
Guy from my church wants an AR. He is a non-shooter wanting to become a shooter.It has been a while since I bought an AR. What is a quality AR that will be reliable and not give him problems?

My first was a Rock River Varminter. I bought it 10 years ago and still have it today. It's never given me a bit of trouble. Accurate, reliable and reasonably priced.

They'll all go boom... real question is what's his budget ?! And if he's really wanting to get serious, buy once cry once...

Colt 6920. You get the quality and reputation of Colt, and they are competing actively in the market. $750 +/- gets you a full AR with Mike-spec everything.

for less, you can get other great weapons. Rock River was mentioned. Stag is another good choice. PSA assembles a great firearm. Since this is his first, I would recommend Colt since he will know the name, and he will never have to ask about whether something will fit in his gun, or replacement or upgrade parts.

Yep definitely sounds like we need a little bit more info OP,
​​
If he wants to do some reasonable target shooting/varmint shooting than the Rock River is the place to start but if you just want something to blast or shoot for fun, plinking then the Colt will fit the bill

You didnt tell is budget or intended uses, so we cannot help. But Compass Lake Engineering can do just about anything.

Those Larue upper kids + any cheap lower will come in under 900 if you build it. Full featured, just need sights. No point in buying basic and then dumping a ton of money into it over time.

Stag Model 3 Typhoon, $895 as is, but today and tomorrow, Labor Day Sale discount $100.

Needs a sight, Vortex SPARC AR.

Incidentally. for $477 (and take off $50 for the Labor Day Sale) he can get the Stag Model 6 Super Varminter Upper; simply the best Bull Barrel 5.56/.223 AR MR/600yd Range implement I have found to date.

I just bought the Model 6 Super Varminter Rifle Kit yesterday for $562, with the $100 discount and UPS Ground shipping. It provides everything, including the two-stage trigger, except a stripped lower. The entire rifle lists at $1054.

Greg

My first was a DPMS Sweet 16. Bought it almost 20 years ago and she is still going strong.I am not sure they still make that model, but I am sure they have something similar in budget.