• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Best state for first time western hunts

TheDalmore

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2017
hey guys, looking for a few tips to start making some muley hunt plans. I’ve never been out west for hunts and have been trying to figure out my best chance for not only tags but also best chances for a successful hunt. Believe it or not but the hunting forum guys are less than helpful and thing by asking general questions that you’re asking for their personal honey hole. Reading through each states laws is confusing enough so I’m first trying to narrow things down to the state first. Most likely looking to go to either Idaho, Utah, or Montana. Seems like they are the most likely to be able to buy OTC tags. All of the draws are pretty much out of the question because everyone else has so many preference points already so I’ll never be able to catch up. So I’m mostly just asking if any of you have been in this position and how you decided on where you went and how long it took you before you were able to have success. I’m fully expecting the first trip to be more for scouting areas than anything, but still crossing my fingers to get lucky right out of the gate. Also, planning for hunting with a rifle but also considering muzzleloader. Thanks.

I live in Idaho. You can get over the counter tags in any of the western states pretty easy. One thing to be aware of is that Idaho does NOT have preference points. It kind of sucks in some ways because you can spend your whole life trying to draw a tag in the really hard to draw units, but it certainly keeps the playing fields level. There are a set amount of out of state tags per unit, so put in on the draw you want and your odds of drawing are just as good as any other out of stater who put in for the same tag. Also, in regard to Idaho the muzzleloader laws are VERY different from other states such as Utah. You pretty much have to use an open sight flint lock in Idaho.

Reactions: TheDalmore
I live in Idaho. You can get over the counter tags in any of the western states pretty easy. One thing to be aware of is that Idaho does NOT have preference points. It kind of sucks in some ways because you can spend your whole life trying to draw a tag in the really hard to draw units, but it certainly keeps the playing fields level. There are a set amount of out of state tags per unit, so put in on the draw you want and your odds of drawing are just as good as any other out of stater who put in for the same tag. Also, in regard to Idaho the muzzleloader laws are VERY different from other states such as Utah. You pretty much have to use an open sight flint lock in Idaho.
Yeah the muzzleloader laws were the biggest drawback from what I was setting with Idaho, but Utah was pretty lenient in that category. Thanks for the info.

Another vote for Wyoming. My home state is Idaho, likely always will be, but if I could stand to live in or near Jackson Hole I would. That's where most of my work would be. As far as opportunity for residents, Wyoming is king. Terrific game management heavily geared towards residents lends itself to great hunting and lots of opportunity as long as you have a Wyoming drivers license and address.

You could try and hunt California.... but you probably couldn’t bring any guns out here, or shoot real bullets for that matter. And you may contract something from a homeless person, AKA urban camper.

Arizona, New Mexico and Utah are great options.

Reactions: TheDalmore
You could try and hunt California.... but you probably couldn’t bring any guns out here, or shoot real bullets for that matter. And you may contract something from a homeless person, AKA urban camper.

Arizona, New Mexico and Utah are great options.
I used to live in California. Now I try to avoid it as much as possible. It’s a shame what the idiots in charge have let happen.