• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Best" stock for precision 223 ar15?

AZIROC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2012
Avondale, AZ
I havent put together a rifle in a while and decided to go for a 223 wylde ar15 build. **I have all different size ar's from 7.5 - 20 inch but my 20s are more just your A4 types. parts arent exaxtly "precision" level lol. I have built different caliber ar15 and ar10 type precision rifles in the past and for the most part, all the interals are the same as far as higher quality parts.

That being said, I've always kind of just stuck with the mapgul prs stock (rifle buffertunbe). I like the gen 1 and I have 1 gen 2 and it's just as good. I havent tried a gen 3 but I've heard it's about an inch longer in the LOP. I'm 6'3" so the LOP isn't going to really change anything. I did try a LuthAR stock once and hated it.

Im just seeing if there is anything "better" than the magpul prs stock that's out now.

Last edited:
Tagged for inspiration/ interest. I use prs on mine currently

I really like the gen3 prs stock. It works well for me on my CLE and another side charger I built.

I’ve had the Magpul PRS and actually prefer the LMT Sopmod stock. Reptilia has a new recce stock that I’d look at. With all the different mount heights I feel there’s less of a need to control that on the stock end of an AR.

Reactions: st1650 and simonp
“Better” is up to the user, but you Could try the Lmt dmr stock. It can be moved to any of the locking positions on the buffer tube and offers adjustable lop.
That would be my go-to. The cheekpiece is substantially girthier than the Magpul offerings.

I also like the Magpul SL-S with Arisaka’s buttlplate and bag rider.

I almost created this thread a week ago.
I then studied stocks between and what I have as available in Finland.

I found out these to be the main competitors:

Magpul PRS, has way too much LOP and not collapsible - which I want to make quick adjustments as winter clothing and different gear make huge difference. Also the heaviest of the bunch. Heavy is not a problem but why put unnecessary weight on your system..

LuthAR MBA 3 (not MBA1) claims it does not handle 338LM which made me doubt its build - I want a stock that is not prone to breakage, even if stupid shit was bound to happen. After all, 338 recoil is not THAT much. I can do that much damage jumping (landing on my face) out of a vehicle.

LMT DMR seemed very good option and would probably cost 500-650 here but would be a quality piece with good features. This was my number one option based on info I found. Unfortunately this was nowhere to be found and I could not make any clear wins or loses with this vs the B5.

I eventually chose B5 Precision collapsible stock, B5 CPS. It was on sale and got the short+cheek pad for 270, mediums had sold out already so I bought the bigger cheek pad in case the short one is too ..short. It just clamps on top of the old one and if I like it I will make it permanent.
It is lighter than PRS and collapsible, sturdy and adjustable.

It is waiting for me at the post office right now, really looking forward to fitting it.

Tbh, if the stock is not collapsible and robust, it is waste of time. PRS is quite bad in my eyes. Unless you always shoot t-shirt on, it has both too long LOP and too slow/cumbersome adjustment without collapse feature.

Last edited:
Magpul PRS.

I picked up a used rifle that has a (don’t laugh ) Ruger RPR stock on it and it works quite well.

Most accurate AR I have and I have a few

E7A00228-2824-4877-B3DE-A24CE65005A9.jpeg

I hated the RPR stock when I got my RPR, and replaced it with a gen3 PRS stock. I kept the RPR stock and it found its way onto an ar15 build. I found a guy in the huge RPR thread that was printing bag riders and once installed, all of my gripes about the stock vanished. That stock is now back on my RPR, and the gen3 PRS is on the ar15.

I picked up a prsLite recently, and am really digging it. But, it’s not your choice if you need a short lop, or quick adjustments.

I’m a bit surprise that the LuthAR stocks haven’t been brought up yet. They seem to be the closest competitor to the PRS. There are both fixed and collapsible versions. I have a fixed mba-1. Getting it set up can be a test of patience, but it’s pretty good once locked down. It would not be my choice for something that needed frequent adjustments.

For my money, the PRS wins for easy adjustability. The PRSLite wins for weight. The MBA-1 is fine, but it feels cheaper than the 2 above. If I knew someone with a RPR takeoff stock and a 3D printer, that would probably be my path forward…

Reactions: Jeff Gahler
Just ordered the Arisaka setup, looks good enough for my purposes.

I'm a big fan of the LuthAR MBA-2. Being 6'5" my ideal length of pull is 14.5" so it gets pretty close to that, its light weight, cheap and has a flat bottom to ride a bag.

Reactions: micmacman
I like the B5 precision stock the most. There really isn’t anything I don’t like about it in terms of quality and function. It’s a little ugly but I got over that pretty quickly because it works really well. It’s got some extra weight compared to something like a CTR but its not obnoxious at all. I honestly expected it to feel heavier.

I have several MagPul and Luth-AR stocks and the MagPul PRS Gen 3 is my favorite. I have a Gen 2 and Gen 2 PRS, PRS Lite, Luth-AR MBA-1 and MBA-3 stocks. I'm not a big fan of the Luth-AR stocks unless I'm going for a very lightweight build. Yes the PRS stocks are heavy and a bit bulky, but they work for me.

I did have to use the Luth-AR MBA-3 on my Savage MkII that is in a Rigid Alloy chassis. I tried the PRS Lite but the LOP was too long for me.

I like the LMT DMR stock best overall when comfort and ease of adjustability are considered. It also feels pretty solid.
How long distance does it give from the end of the stock with LOP set at max to the front of cheek rest?

Mainly asking to figure out how well it can support the cheek, since many do not support it far enough and you get only partially supported cheek.

How long distance does it give from the end of the stock with LOP set at max to the front of cheek rest?

Mainly asking to figure out how well it can support the cheek, since many do not support it far enough and you get only partially supported cheek.
You're asking for the length from front of cheek rest to the buttpad with the buttpad fully extended? It has probably the most substantial cheek rest of AR-style stocks that aren't produced by someone who makes bolt guns.

If your LOP is that long the LMT can be adjusted along the bottom slots of the carbine receiver extension to move the whole assembly and the “base” LOP further out. It gets hilariously long if you wanted to do that.

You're asking for the length from front of cheek rest to the buttpad with the buttpad fully extended? It has probably the most substantial cheek rest of AR-style stocks that aren't produced by someone who makes bolt guns.

If your LOP is that long the LMT can be adjusted along the bottom slots of the carbine receiver extension to move the whole assembly and the “base” LOP further out. It gets hilariously long if you wanted to do that.
My wish is to keep LOP minimized and get maximum cheek rest distance from shoulder.

I aint no big guy but it feels like many stocks are designed for those who do not shoot squared at the target or some other type, which changes head position by quite a bit. Plus that I am spoiled by GRS stocks

I've tried several and I always go back to the magpul prs. It is kind of bulky and it's not one you can quickly adjust but for a precision AR, the PRSgen3 is the best for me.

Reactions: simonp
XLR & Luth-AR ahead of Magpul PRS for me. It takes too much forward weight to make up for the PRS for my favor.

Today I succeeded to make my B5 just like I wanted it to be.

I had bought the B5 cheekrest that has rubberized coating and also rises the cheekrest maybe further 0.25".

20230814_191629.jpg

I noticed it had the slot placement tab that fits on any of the slots on the B5 original cheekrest.
20230814_143452.jpg

I installed it a bit forward and the rifle felt great.
There was maybe .2" free space to the charging handle. If I remember right I measured this with the stock pushed all the way down, on the picture it sits on the first step.
20230814_143306.jpg

I added some tape to the underside of cheekrest riser so it takes out empty space and makes it fit on tighter, it stays in place by clamping force. It is not going anywhere after the tape fix but I might glue it on when I am certain this is where I want to leave it, so why not make it permanent.

Current setup gets me 13.6" LOP and 6.9" of distance from shoulder to front of cheek rest. With the stock pushed down you can go even around 13". This is ofc with the LOP setting maxed at the buttpad.

Extremely comfortable, stable and rugged.

I also made a wood spacer to fit the empty space that was created by extending the LOP screw to the max. Mainly to even out the underside that touches hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6.5SH
This will probably sound like blasphemy to most of you, but I don't care for the Magpul PRS AT ALL. I find the cheek weld to leave a lot to be desired, it feels relatively thin and rounded compared to my personal favorite, the good old fashioned B5 Sopmod. It has much faster back and forward adjustment compared to most PRS style stocks and a much better cheek weld too. I do recommend using a 2a buffer tube to eliminate any slop. This is also assuming you don't need a riser. If you do need a riser my favorite is the LMT precision stock that came on my MARS-H DMR. It has a great cheek weld.

Reactions: TheOE800
I almost created this thread a week ago.
I then studied stocks between and what I have as available in Finland.

I found out these to be the main competitors:

Magpul PRS, has way too much LOP and not collapsible - which I want to make quick adjustments as winter clothing and different gear make huge difference. Also the heaviest of the bunch. Heavy is not a problem but why put unnecessary weight on your system..

LuthAR MBA 3 (not MBA1) claims it does not handle 338LM which made me doubt its build - I want a stock that is not prone to breakage, even if stupid shit was bound to happen. After all, 338 recoil is not THAT much. I can do that much damage jumping (landing on my face) out of a vehicle.

LMT DMR seemed very good option and would probably cost 500-650 here but would be a quality piece with good features. This was my number one option based on info I found. Unfortunately this was nowhere to be found and I could not make any clear wins or loses with this vs the B5.

I eventually chose B5 Precision collapsible stock, B5 CPS. It was on sale and got the short+cheek pad for 270, mediums had sold out already so I bought the bigger cheek pad in case the short one is too ..short. It just clamps on top of the old one and if I like it I will make it permanent.
It is lighter than PRS and collapsible, sturdy and adjustable.

It is waiting for me at the post office right now, really looking forward to fitting it.

Tbh, if the stock is not collapsible and robust, it is waste of time. PRS is quite bad in my eyes. Unless you always shoot t-shirt on, it has both too long LOP and too slow/cumbersome adjustment without collapse feature.

Good friend of mine had a Luth on one of his precision AR’s. That is until the rifle fell over onto his garage’s floor and the bottom of the Luth shattered into several pieces. It was very odd for it to get damaged that much from the rifle just falling over.

Could’ve been a lemon, but ever since then, I just run the PRS. I have been interested in trying the Tacmod and/or XLR too. My only hangup is that damn black aluminum loves to soak up that summer sun.

This will probably sound like blasphemy to most of you, but I don't care for the Magpul PRS AT ALL. I find the cheek weld to leave a lot to be desired, it feels relatively thin and rounded compared to my personal favorite, the good old fashioned B5 Sopmod. It has much faster back and forward adjustment compared to most PRS style stocks and a much better cheek weld too. I do recommend using a 2a buffer tube to eliminate any slop. This is also assuming you don't need a riser. If you do need a riser my favorite is the LMT precision stock that came on my MARS-H DMR. It has a great cheek weld.
There’s always that one Subaru drive that buts into a discussion about off roading.

Haha I knew it wouldn't be popular, but I genuinely feel more comfortable and shoot better groups with a sopmod than a magpul PRS. It is what it is.
You do you, if it works. But, the sopmod doesn’t have anything that I’m looking for when I’m looking for a precision stock. I don’t need to adjust the stock quickly, but I do want finer adjustment than a 6 pos buffer tube allows. I’m not shooting in armor, and I have fairly long arms, so the short lop of a carbine stock isn’t a feature I need. I also want a flat bottom to ride a rear bag. And, because my precision rifles sport optics with 20x+ magnification and large objective bells, I DO need height adjustment. The weight of the PRS is an issue, but not a deal breaker on a rifle that is sporting a heavy barrel. The weight actually helps to balance the rifle out. And, as the PRS can be mounted on a rifle receiver extension, it is more stable than any collapsible carbine stock.

I’ve been playing with the prsLite and like it so far. But, it is a stretch to call it adjustable. I would call it “configurable.” What is the difference? In my mind, the former can be readily adapted to changing conditions. The latter is set up and used. And if changes are needed, so are tools.

I also have a luthAR mba-1. It’s the middle ground between the PRS and PRS lite in terms of adjustment. But, it just feels cheaper than both.

You want to talk about weird, unpopular opinions? I really like the Ruger RPR stock, and used it on a precision AR until I realized that I shot the RPR more, and it went back on that rifle…

Rifle length buffer tube fixed LOP, I run one of these:

For a Carbine Telescoping gun, one of these:

Fab makes a grip that I like better than an Ergo, and I have Ergo Grips in 70 % of my AR's:

Yeah, Optic Planet, But they at least stock this stuff and it hasn't been a two week drop ship nightmare.

What's best I couldn't say but I'm super happy with the Luth AR MBA-3 /Wiebad cheek pad on my .308.
I've since removed the rear slip on pad, it was screwing with my position & eye relief on the stock.
I've got it dialed in so I can get a cheek weld with my eyes closed and when I open them everything is where it should be for the shot.
IMG_1771.JPG

Reactions: simonp
I hated the RPR stock when I got my RPR, and replaced it with a gen3 PRS stock. I kept the RPR stock and it found its way onto an ar15 build. I found a guy in the huge RPR thread that was printing bag riders and once installed, all of my gripes about the stock vanished. That stock is now back on my RPR, and the gen3 PRS is on the ar15.

I picked up a prsLite recently, and am really digging it. But, it’s not your choice if you need a short lop, or quick adjustments.

I’m a bit surprise that the LuthAR stocks haven’t been brought up yet. They seem to be the closest competitor to the PRS. There are both fixed and collapsible versions. I have a fixed mba-1. Getting it set up can be a test of patience, but it’s pretty good once locked down. It would not be my choice for something that needed frequent adjustments.

For my money, the PRS wins for easy adjustability. The PRSLite wins for weight. The MBA-1 is fine, but it feels cheaper than the 2 above. If I knew someone with a RPR takeoff stock and a 3D printer, that would probably be my path forward…
Kinda like this?

Attachments

• 20230901_222606_HDR.jpg
    20230901_222606_HDR.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 63