• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best sub compact carry weapon for lefties?

Painless300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2013
Rome, GA
Looking for some feedback from those of you who are lefties and what your go to sub compact carry weapon is. My favorite large frame is the HK VP9 but it’s just too large for a discreet carry weapon. Most of my gun knowledge is around long guns and will be taking some training and lots of practice to become more proficient in safety, drawing and getting on target with a side arm. Price is really not a factor in this decision. Any knowledge is appreciated.

My $0.02: G43. Simple ambi glock ergos. Thin, accurate, stock cc pistol. YMMV.

Not many good sub-compact options with lefty controls. I was in a similar boat and went with a Glock 43.

If not happy with glock you could look around for a HK P7.

Looking for some feedback from those of you who are lefties and what your go to sub compact carry weapon is. My favorite large frame is the HK VP9 but it’s just too large for a discreet carry weapon. Most of my gun knowledge is around long guns and will be taking some training and lots of practice to become more proficient in safety, drawing and getting on target with a side arm. Price is really not a factor in this decision. Any knowledge is appreciated.

CZ P-10C or P-10S

The 10C is Glock 19 size, the 10S is Glock 26 size

The magazine release is switchable from one side to the other and the slide release is ambidextrous. Being striker fired, there are no manual safeties or decockers to worry about from either side.

If you decide on either of those, get the Optics Ready version. Eventually you'll see the wisdom of a red dot sight on a pistol and with the OR version of either of those CZs you'll be ready.

Reactions: Jonny_
Thanks for the replies, I have a buddy with the G43 and just can’t get comfortable with it. I’ll certainly take a close look at the CZ’s. Has anyone tried the HK9 SK, It looks a little thick?

If you want to stay thin, consider a 1911 with an ambi safety and thin grips?
Like a DW V-Bob.

Lefty here: P365. You can reverse the magazine release button if you prefer.

Reactions: KML7201
CZ P-10C or P-10S

Ditto on this advice. Not only are they ambi pistols, they're excellent pistols. My P-10S just fits right; pointability and shootability is almost on par with a full-size. If you haven't shot a CZ before I highly recommend giving them a good look and feel. The P-10 line is feature full and there are plenty of aftermarket options available.

My P10C is not a subcompact. In fact, it’s very similar in size to your VP9.
I have both in optic ready and go back and forth.
If you seek something significantly smaller for carry than your VP9, a P10C is not the answer.
Although I don’t have one, the VP9SK doesn’t look that much smaller. But since you already have the VP9, maybe the SK version is worth a look?

You might want to look at your holsters, belt, and how you dress.

Someone said the VP9 is the same size as the P-10C. I went to handgunhero.com and confirmed for myself they are indeed the same size. I'm not a big guy and I can make a P-10C or P-07 disappear on me even under an untucked polo in the summer.

IWB holsters will make even large pistols disappear with only a very minor adjustment in clothing.

One more thing, if you're new to concealed carry you're very likely very self-conscious about printing. Nobody notices, trust me.

I'm a lefty and I carry a 365XL. For a carry weapon, the location of the controls (mag release, slide release) doesn't matter to me because I don't ever anticipate needing more than one magazine, and I don't carry extra magazines.

Very good points, mostly I wear jeans or kakis, untucked is my normal dress so you may have a good point in just trying to carry my VP9. What really started me down this road was I was asked to join the security team at my church. I never wear a blazer or jacket usually just a Patagonia pullover, sweater in the winter and polo in the summer, were pretty casual.
I was thinking about a holster tucked in the waistband in the back. Never used a holster other than on my hip in local competition that had a pistol stage in it. Any suggestions on brand and type of hoslster?

I wear pants and a polo or button up most of the time, sweater or a jacket in the cold; my church carry is the same as every other day of the week. P-10S in a JM Custom Kydex (Wing Claw 2.0), full sweat guard, no wedge. JM has a quick ship AIWB for a VP9; that will certainly do the job.

I really like my AIWB JM holster. Bravo concealment is pretty good too. Milt Sparks makes good holsters. There are more options, opinions, and reviews out there on holsters and belts than you can shake a stick at. Just make sure to get a quality holster and wear a quality belt and you'll be fine. You'll be given tons of input -- not until you actually carry for a while will you develop your OWN likes and dislikes. Just like every other piece of gear, there's only so far that other's input will go, you have to use it for yourself to determine what works and doesn't.

I would look at buying a fairly middle of the road holster from one of the more recognizable names and use that for a while. After you've gotten comfortable (or uncomfortable) with it you can make a better informed decision on specific holster aspects. I.e 1 belt clip or 2? Wedge or none? Belt loops or Discrete clips? Etc...

Is there a particular reason you want to carry in the back?

Very good points, mostly I wear jeans or kakis, untucked is my normal dress so you may have a good point in just trying to carry my VP9. What really started me down this road was I was asked to join the security team at my church. I never wear a blazer or jacket usually just a Patagonia pullover, sweater in the winter and polo in the summer, were pretty casual.
I was thinking about a holster tucked in the waistband in the back. Never used a holster other than on my hip in local competition that had a pistol stage in it. Any suggestions on brand and type of hoslster?

You sound like you're fairly new to concealed carry. Maybe I'm wrong but the questions you're asking and the assumptions that you seem to be under do point that way.

I've been carrying every day, virtually everywhere, for the last 14 years. I've learned a thing or two in that time...…..

Your VP9 will absolutely disappear under a properly sized garment in an IWB holster as long as you select an appropriate holster and appropriate belt. Polos tend to be a bit more clingy than square-cut button down shirts worn untucked. With a regular (not fitted) untucked button down shirt I can conceal a pistol the size of a VP9 in a pancake belt holster with ease. Leather pancake holster work better than the kydex versions because leather molds to your body and will pull the pistol in tight (assuming you have a proper belt).

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT carry a pistol on the small of your back. First of all, it's the slowest position to draw from. Second of all, it's going to suck when sitting down. Third, if you have to go hands on with someone and you end up on your back, you will lose access to your pistol. Fourth, if you fall on your back or get taken down hard that pistol is going to hurt you.

AIWB (appendix inside the waistband, basically between your centerline and your 1 o'clock if RH) is the fastest draw and very concealing if done well, but I'm told it takes quite a bit of trial and error to get right. I have a thread on that here since I'm considering it.

For someone like you I strongly recommend you stick to strong side carry for now and experiment with AIWB as you get more comfortable.

I have no idea of what kind of support gear you have so I'm going to make the recommendations based on my own experience. YMMV.

Since you almost never conceal with an open-front garment, you don't need a dressy belt. You need an effective belt. I haven't found a more effective belt than the Ares Aegis. It's comfortable, infinitely adjustable (very important) and extremely stiff where it counts (the most important aspect).

Get yourself a high quality pair of leather holsters. If you read the internet you'll get the impression that no one uses leather any more. Not so. Leather is king over kydex when it comes to both IWB comfort and OWB concealability. Kydex lasts forever and is cheaper, which is why it's so popular.

I have had leather holsters from tons of people. Of those I've used, TT Gunleather and Nelson Holsters are my favorites. From those two brands, here are my top pics.

IWB:

OWB

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonny_
You sound like you're fairly new to concealed carry. Maybe I'm wrong but the questions you're asking and the assumptions that you seem to be under do point that way.

I've been carrying every day, virtually everywhere, for the last 14 years. I've learned a thing or two in that time...…..

You're VP9 will absolutely disappear under a properly sized garment in an IWB holster as long as you select an appropriate holster and appropriate belt. Polos tend to be a bit more clingy than square-cut button down shirts worn untucked. With a regular (not fitted) untucked button down shirt I can conceal a pistol the size of a VP9 in a pancake belt holster with ease. Leather pancake holster work better than the kydex versions because leather molds to your body and will pull the pistol in tight (assuming you have a proper belt).

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT carry a pistol on the small of your back. First of all, it's the slowest position to draw from. Second of all, it's going to suck when sitting down. Third, if you have to go hands on with someone and you end up on your back, you will lose access to your pistol. Fourth, if you fall on your back or get taken down hard that pistol is going to hurt you.

AIWB (appendix inside the waistband, basically between your centerline and your 1 o'clock if RH) is the fastest draw and very concealing if done well, but I'm told it takes quite a bit of trial and error to get right. I have a thread on that here since I'm considering it.

For someone like you I strongly recommend you stick to strong side carry for now and experiment with AIWB as you get more comfortable.

I have no idea of what kind of support gear you have so I'm going to make the recommendations based on my own experience. YMMV.

Since you almost never conceal with an open-front garment, you don't need a dressy belt. You need an effective belt. I haven't found a more effective belt than the Ares Aegis. It's comfortable, infinitely adjustable (very important) and extremely stiff where it counts (the most important aspect).

Get yourself a high quality pair of leather holsters. If you read the internet you'll get the impression that no one uses leather any more. Not so. Leather is king over kydex when it comes to both IWB comfort and OWB concealability. Kydex lasts forever and is cheaper, which is why it's so popular.

I have had leather holsters from tons of people. Of those I've used, TT Gunleather and Nelson Holsters are my favorites. From those two brands, here are my top pics.

IWB:

OWB

Yes you perceptions are correct, I have never carried concealed before, should have stated that earlier. Thanks for the advice, this is exactly what I was looking for. I will experiment with a couple of these and see which i like best. Thanks again for your help.

Uggh. It's a shame to need security at a church, but good for you to step up. What a world....

Although we have not had any indication of trouble we do have a few LE officers in our congregation and they are leading the team. I will be training with them and hopefully become much more proficient in this endeavor. It is sad that that the world we live in now requires this sort of preparation but unfortunately thats where we are. Just this weekend I saw where a California church had a stabbing after taking in a few homeless people. Just a shame.

Thanks for the replies, I have a buddy with the G43 and just can’t get comfortable with it. I’ll certainly take a close look at the CZ’s. Has anyone tried the HK9 SK, It looks a little thick?

I carry a VP9 SK and love it. I would not call it a subcompact though. It is G19 sized at least. Paddle mag release makes it good for lefties (I am right handed). It's a great gun and easy to shoot. I also have (and carry) a G43 when I need a smaller option. It is also a good shooter for me.

I carry a VP9 SK and love it. I would not call it a subcompact though. It is G19 sized at least. Paddle mag release makes it good for lefties (I am right handed). It's a great gun and easy to shoot. I also have (and carry) a G43 when I need a smaller option. It is also a good shooter for me.

This website makes it easy to show how big or small pistol is compared to another: https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/heckler-koch-vp9sk-vs-glock-g19

The VP9SK is shorter in both length and height compared to the G19. The VP9SK is likely much closer to the G26 in size.

The VP9 and the G19 are a lot closer dimensionally: https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/heckler-koch-vp9-vs-glock-g19 The the HK's grip + mag base is about 1/2" longer than the Glock's but that makes very little difference for concealment that can be accommodated with minor changes to holster location/ride/cant.

This website makes it easy to show how big or small pistol is compared to another: https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/heckler-koch-vp9sk-vs-glock-g19

The VP9SK is shorter in both length and height compared to the G19. The VP9SK is likely much closer to the G26 in size.

The VP9 and the G19 are a lot closer dimensionally: https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/heckler-koch-vp9-vs-glock-g19 The the HK's grip + mag base is about 1/2" longer than the Glock's but that makes very little difference for concealment that can be accommodated with minor changes to holster location/ride/cant.

Very Cool!