• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best subsonic .300 Blackout commercial loading?

You will probably be shooting subs suppressed in a DI AR so "clean" is going to be a real challenge. That said I shoot FOG 300 BLK subs.

OFG

Excellent link and thank you!

The supersonic HPR 110 TTSX was loaded less than five miles from me here in Payson AZ. I built the .300 BLK test rifle for HPR, and this ammo shot so well in it I quickly bought 1000 rounds of this loading. It is my go-to load for this rig:

IMG_5961.jpg

HPR is temporarily "out of business" but is being again spun up by a new owner. Wish they'd apply their considerable talents next to a subsonic load for the .300 BLK.

I also noticed in the article that the subsonic Hornady 208 AMAX load was the most accurate tested. I've had good luck with this load in the accuracy department, but it is the single dirtiest burning ammo I've seen this side of the old Iron Curtain. Nice nickel plated cases though! Too bad all the powder doesn't burn in them.

But, as oldfatguy states, "shooting subs suppressed in a DI AR ... is going to be a real challenge." He is correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Docsherm
It really is worth the investment to reload for .300Blk.
Most definitely, especially if you are going to be shooting subs. Much cheaper to reload. I like Accurate 1680 because it shoots well super and sub and is cleaner than many others. That being said they're all dirty with a suppressor.
Vihtavuori is probably the cleanest powder but it's very expensive.

***EDIT:
"Very Expensive" is inaccurate. More expensive relative to other powders is what I should've posted. I get close to 350 rds/lb with Accurate 1680, so no powder is breaking the bank. Potentially, I would use less powder with Vihtavuori so maybe it would even out.

Last edited:
Reactions: yakstone
If your shooting a suppressed 300BlkOut, no powder is expensive when your your using 10.5-11gr of any powder. 650-700 lds/lb

Reactions: yakstone
I use the Hornady 208 gr AMAX. I hsve had no issues at all with it. It also groups much better then te 220 gr Remington OTM that I previously used.

Underwood offers a very clean and accurate subsonic load using the Lehigh 194gr ME. Lehigh’s version of the same is neither as clean or accurate in my experience. Two bucks a pop, so not cheap. Solid copper, good performance/expansion.
Underwood 300BLK 194gr ME

The Hornady 208 AMAX has proven to be a very accurate load for me in my suppressed .300 BLK, as well.

IMG_8162.jpeg

Admittedly, I only tried a few loads, but it was so good I stopped looking. But that bullet was designed for accuracy at supersonic velocities, not terminal performance at subsonic speeds.

It's my understanding the kool kids are now running Sig Sauer Elite Hunting 205 grain subsonic. Got some coming.

Now there's a bullet designed to work at subsonic velocity. Note that it is only a 1000 fps load, too, staying below 0.90 mach. 0.90 mach to 1.1 mach is a messy speed regime for airplanes - and bullets.

The Sig 205 looks good. Works in a regular PMAG too (no internal rib interference). Here in CA we have to use solid copper for hunting, so I’ve settled on the Barnes 110gr Black Tips and the Lehigh 194gr ME for handloads. The 194gr ME expands impressively well at subsonic velocities.

I have had good luck with Hornady 208 A-Max and Armsco which uses the 208 A-Max bullet. My favorite sub sonic load is the Hornady 190 Sub-X. It expands better and has enough penetration without over penetrating.I run it in my 8.5 SBR.
300 BLK SBR (2).jpg

I did not have very good luck with the Hornady 190gr Sub-X like ARx3 did. My Aero M4E1 upper/lower with a Ballistic Advantage 10.3" Performance Series barrel did not like to feed it very well, and I tried three different types of magazine including the P-Mag 300BO mags. My issue was the copper part of the bullet just past the flex tip insert would get caught on the feed ramps and would not chamber. This happened several times including once when I had a huge sounder cornered in a field surrounded by pig fence after they found an opening and could not find their way out. There I sat 10 yards from 20+ pigs with a rifle that hung up round after round... I was not impressed to say the least. They fed when there were only 5-7 rounds in the magazine, but once loaded with 10 or more not very well at all.

I tried filing the sharp edges of the feed ramps and while it did help some they would still miss feed every 5 rounds or so. With that being said they were pretty effective on the pigs that I did hit when it fired, but not much use being effective when they do not feed reliably.

Attachments

• 20190929_113300.jpg
    20190929_113300.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20190929_113315.jpg
    20190929_113315.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 126
I love the Hornady Sub-X. No issues feeding and get about 1-1.5" MOA.

Tried a box of Underwood loaded with the 194 gr Lehigh ME rounds and it was like a shot gun. 8" MOA with signs of instability out of a 16" DD barrel and a 12.5" Proof Carbon.

Have a box of 190 gr Maker Rex I'm going to try this weekend if I get my shooting bench complete.

I have the same exact problem as USP45 with Hornady 190 Sub-X in one .300 Blackout. And that gun has never malfunctioned with conventional bullets in several hundred rounds.

No problems with the Hornady 190 Sub-X in another .300 Blackout.

Last edited:
for hunting? the subx loading from hornady.

I have the same exact problem as USP45 with Hornady 190 Sub-X in one .300 Blackout. And that gun has never malfunctioned with conventional bullets in several hundred rounds.

No problems with the Hornady 190 Sub-X in another .300 Blackout.

I may do some more work to the feed ramps once I get home from deployment (whenever that may be now). They are just catching on the sharpish corners of the ramps as they try to chamber. Couldn't hurt to round them a little more and the rounds did seem to work well when they connected.

A bit off topic, but I have my 300 BO zeroed for supers, and the corresponding elevation with subs is at 35 meters, which is just about perfect. However, subs, as a rule, shoot 2 inches left of supers at 35 meters. Does this make any sense? Elevation differences are easy to explain, but why windage. Both loads shoot fine accuracy wise.