• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best substitute for CCI BR2 primers with Varget?

One-Eyed Jack

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2004
Minden, NV
I'm running outta CCI BR2 primers in my "match" 308Win rifle and can't find any more. Is there a near substitute - a primer that will give virtually the same uniform performance and light Varget in the same way? The prettiest girl is taken, guess I'm now looking for the second best looker.

BTW, I just ran through all the suppliers I know and there are no BR2 primers available.

Re: Best substitute for CCI BR2 primers with Varget?

Jack,

I did a test at 300 yards with my varget/Lapua/Scenar load. Rem, CCI 200, and BR2 all had the same POI w/ the 5 shot groups. The Win. LR Primers were a little hot with my load. Rem primers had the tightest groups, and it was repeatable. HTH

Try the Wolf primers(Russian primers).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tack-Driver .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rem primers had the tightest groups, and it was repeatable. HTH </div></div>
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the responses. I have used Fed 210Ms in the past and found they aren't as tight as the BR2s. Looks like I should try to find some Remington large rifle primers, presumably the 9 1/2s, in addition to looking for the BR2s. Let's hope this craziness ends soon, before we all run out of ammo and have to throw rocks.

I think you will find that CCI 200's will be the closest match, and may work well enough to change your mind about the necessity for employing match primers in all your loads.

Since primers have become as rare as unobtanium, I have been doing my load development with 'standard' primers. Once the load is formalized, I will substitute equivalent match primers and test the loads side-by-side. The results are actually rather gratifying, and frequently, no performance improvement is obtained from substituting the match primers.

Maybe you'll have a similar experience.

Greg

My shooting pard just scored 5k BR2's about 3 weeks ago from some online source or other.

He stays on the notification Email alert system from damn near every vendor.

They were a little pricey, but he got them.

Components are still out there, just really hard to find.

Myself, I switched to CCI 200's to save my BR2's and damn if I can tell a difference with Varget.

I'm thinking of switching away from BR-2's simply because of price. I've got 1400 on hand with another 1k on the way, but even after the drought goes away, they are still $15-20 per thousand more than anything else. And from what I'm hearing, that extra $$$ doesn't get you anything above what "non-match" primers can do. I'm just grateful that I've got some.

FWIW I'll probably be switching to CCI 200's or WLR primers when its time to order more, depending on what my local retailers carry.

I am almost out of br-2 also, but know where some cci 200's are, so I guess I better pick some up.

I have been using CCI 200s for several years without issue.

me thinks....there are no discernible differences between the BR and the 200's

Re: Best substitute for CCI BR2 primers with Varge

The CCI 200 is the same primer; supposedly lower variation in production for the BR version.