• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Suppressed Ammo

mahlv

Supporter
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2018
I have a seekins 224valkyrie, started running suppressed with a thunderbeast .223 can on it. This is the first ‘higher end’ AR I’ve owned and it’s definitely a blast. My issue with it is it gets dirty as hell pretty quickly. Probably 200-300 rounds I start having cycling issues. I can adjust the gas block a little and get it to come around, but each step of the gas block only lasts 50ish rounds if that. I’ve since ditched the can, and still have the same good time, but with ear-pro.

I’m sure different ammo will be dirtier than others, and there’s really not many factory ammo options for the Valkyrie, but I’m going to get deeper in the AR world with a 556/223 and maybe even a 300blk. What have you guys found in regards to factory ammo for .223 and 300blk being less dirty than another? Thanks for any insight

I don't think there is really anything you can do. The rifle is going to get a lot dirtier when running suppressed. It's just the nature of the beast. I'm not sure how long people run their rifles without cleaning but I wouldn't go 200 rounds without cleaning especially. You take care of your rifles and they'll take care of you.

BTW, you should still wear ear pro. If something goes wrong and the can comes flying off you're not going to be liking the results to your hearing. Someone had that happen to him on a hunting trip while he wasn't wearing ear pro. It wasn't a pleasant experience for him. Besides, even with a suppressor your rifle may just barely be hearing safe. It may not sound all that loud but in reality it still very loud. Just don't think it's worth the risk. But it's your hearing.

Thunderbeast cans are nice and quiet and accurate, but are have high back pressure for semi autos and get guns dirty faster. If you want to run suppressed all the time. You may want to look into a flow through can like Thermal Defense Solutions, OSS, or even the internal ported cans like Surefire. They are better for semiautos.

Reactions: mahlv
Thanks! Didn’t consider that at all, but makes sense.

200-300 rounds?!? I have an Omega that is high back pressure and I run a hell of a lot more then that without any issue in .223.

Suppressor back pressure issue more so than an ammo issue.
Single base propellants burn cleaner, generally speaking, than does double base extruded and ball powder (double base) is the dirtiest.
Majority of the factory ammo for 224 V and 223 Rem are loaded with a ball powder. 99+% of the reason being ball powder meters faster in automated machines.
I avoid ball powders as much as possible, much prefer a single base, extruded powder.

Gas guns, LaRue TranQuilo has been the lowest back pressure can I’ve used. Easy to go 600+ rds w/o cleaning or adding lube to BCG / bolt.
LaRue TranQuilo, in my experience, doesn’t need to have an adjustment to gas block, buffer weight change or spring change between can on / can off. Really been impressed with how little the TranQuilo changes operation of system and how long rifle runs w/o fouling causing failure to function.

200-300 rounds?!? I have an Omega that is high back pressure and I run a hell of a lot more then that without any issue in .223.
Friend has an Omega, quite a bit lower back pressure than a TBAC. Omega is also a 30 cal can, not a 223 can so that helps also.

Friend has an Omega, quite a bit lower back pressure than a TBAC. Omega is also a 30 cal can, not a 223 can so that helps also.

I have not compared the two side by side. I could though if I wanted to swap the brake out.

I assembled my upper with an adjustable gas block and put the suppressor on. It runs fine with the can on but with the can off the BCG doesn’t even get close to moving. I’m gonna have to go up quite a few clicks in the gas block.

I thought that was very surprising to see it work well with the suppressor and not even close with it off.