• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best suppressor for my new MK18?

Re: Best suppressor for my new MK18?

I like the AAC m4-2000, I have several. The AAC mini4 is nice, but its more well suited for 14.5 and longer barrels. Surefire is nice, but cost several hundred more.

I have shot sub moa out of these cans for years. Even if they are not super tight on the mount. Some will have minimal play.

The SureFire SOCOM556-RC is what was selected for all of the MK18's in SOCOM.They chose the dark earth color.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PappaSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the AAC m4-2000, I have several.
I have shot sub moa out of these cans for years. <span style="font-weight: bold"> Even if they are not super tight on the mount. Some will have minimal play.</span> </div></div> that is the truth there. I have been disappointed by AAC/M4/2000. I tried it on a precision 223 but that QD mount never could stay snug and threw rounds all over the place. I ended up cutting the barrel and re-threading it 5/8 x 24 to put my 30P-1 Thunderbeast on it - now it works great. I am such a proponent for direct thread cans. I have tried two different QD's (AAC and Gemtech and was very disappointed). When you get a suppressor you are pretty much stuck with it for life so make sure you do your research and get the one that will work the best. And, yes, Surefire is more expensive but buy once cry once should be your motto. If it works - pay for it now or be frustrated later. That is your choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SureFire SOCOM556-RC is what was selected for all of the MK18's in SOCOM.They chose the dark earth color.
</div></div>
Then why is it I see nothing but gemtechs and old knights armament cans? Just saying its not across the board. Not even close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TGagnon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SureFire SOCOM556-RC is what was selected for all of the MK18's in SOCOM.They chose the dark earth color.
</div></div>
Then why is it I see nothing but gemtechs and old knights armament cans? Just saying its not across the board. Not even close. </div></div>

Life cycle replacement. They're fielding the SF's now.

title says BEST suppressor not cheapest, so surefire for sure. talk to chuck he'll get you square. you WONT be disappointed with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TGagnon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SureFire SOCOM556-RC is what was selected for all of the MK18's in SOCOM.They chose the dark earth color.
</div></div>
Then why is it I see nothing but gemtechs and old knights armament cans? Just saying its not across the board. Not even close. </div></div>

Life cycle replacement. They're fielding the SF's now. </div></div>
See now that makes sense but I still have yet to see a knights can wear out. Have had one get a bit louder when a baffle wore through but that was it. Something tells me though they aren't going to be bringing excess into this country so newer items will be unit issue not issued in country so much.

yes but when was the last time you saw a knights can on a scale! those things are stupid heavy!

Only reason I am a fan of a knights is that we destroyed a HK 10.5 inch from shooting it hot and the knights was still going strong when the HK upper failed. This isn't to say the HK upper wasn't nice but it was already on its last leg and we had the ammo and needed the practice. Whoever says they can make a rifle barrel with forever life hasn't met boys with limitless ammo. Wish we could have gotten a stag upper just to do that exactly.

During the development of our SBR can, we wore out a Sabre 7.5" upper and the can was still going strong. SBR's and F/A are very hard on uppers. For the suppressor you "just" have to pick the right materials and put it together right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PappaSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the AAC m4-2000, I have several.
I have shot sub moa out of these cans for years. <span style="font-weight: bold"> Even if they are not super tight on the mount. Some will have minimal play.</span> </div></div> that is the truth there. I have been disappointed by AAC/M4/2000. I tried it on a precision 223 but that QD mount never could stay snug and threw rounds all over the place. I ended up cutting the barrel and re-threading it 5/8 x 24 to put my 30P-1 Thunderbeast on it - now it works great. I am such a proponent for direct thread cans. I have tried two different QD's (AAC and Gemtech and was very disappointed). When you get a suppressor you are pretty much stuck with it for life so make sure you do your research and get the one that will work the best. And, yes, Surefire is more expensive but buy once cry once should be your motto. If it works - pay for it now or be frustrated later. That is your choice. </div></div>

How about the new AAC SR5 can with the 90 tooth adapters?

The other consideration is whether you are building a clone or not. If you are building a true clone, then the choice has already been made for you. It is either a KAC for a Mk18 mod 0, or a choice between a KAC or a Surefire SOCOM556RC for a
"mod 1" (actually technically a M4 CQBR-you know, the one with the DD Mk18 RIS II rail).

If you decide Surefire pm Kudu22 on here. He can point you in the right direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MBC223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you decide Surefire pm Kudu22 on here. He can point you in the right direction.</div></div>

+1 Kudu22 is the man...

P.S. I love both my SF cans... tight, stay tight, prety much no zero shift.

I want to get a surefire at some point but I will say I have been very happy with all my AWC products. PG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes but when was the last time you saw a knights can on a scale! those things are stupid heavy! </div></div>
The system weight of KAC is ~5 ounces heavier than surefire (can and mount). KAC has kind of a "it's so ugly it's beautiful" thing going on. The cans really are rough looking.

Surefire on the other hand really makes a nice looking can.

I have no experience with surefire, but the KAC can's work great. The NT4's extra weight and perforated girdle help lower operating temperature for very impressive durability.

I've used the NT4, the M110, and SR25 suppressors. The basic synopsis of the companies suppressors is that they all work well and that says a lot about the people who designed them.

Over the summer I went to a course and shot a DPMS SASS rifle (no can) on a particular qual at 100 yds (a deceptively tough qual for the range) I got a minimum 90% on a 4th attempt. The DPMS gun was low grade- ditched two extractors in 300 rounds too- really surprised me. That gun had a walking zero as the gun heated up that made it a nightmare to shoot especially on the short range qual with the very small targets it offered.

10 days ago I shot that same qual with an old, fairly beat up SR25 and its can and scored a 100% first time go with the same model Leupold 10x optic despite the misconception that over the barrel suppressors are terrible for accuracy. The can is ~14.5" long, weighs about 32 ounces, is real ugly, but it's a great can in my book. Works as advertised. The whole rifle is KAC and it's an excellent system IMO. It certainly beats the hell out of the gun DPMS attempted to compete in the SASS program with.

Obviously Surefire did win the major contract these products were competing for. How government contracts break down is not something I know a lot about. I'm pretty sure it confuses the major players sometimes as well.