• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Temp insensitive substitute for RE-19

secondofangle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
Utah
I have a load for my 7mm Rem Mag that shoots lights out. 64 grains RE19 under a 162 AMAX. One hole. Problem is temperature sensitivity.

I have a lot of IMR 4350, and Retumbo and smaller amounts of several others that I could test.

I don't really wanna mess with something that works, but the Temp thing is kinda annoying.

Suggestions?

Load development in the winter = cold weather load

Load development in the summer = warm weather load

Just don't get the cold weather load confused with the warm weather load in the summertime.

You can have 1 charge you develop when it's hot out (90+). Then duplicate the velocity with a heftier charge when it's, say, 50 degrees out. There's your hot and cold weather loads. Varget ain't the answer for everything; I use mostly RL powders for high-power centerfire.

Hodgon H 1000 and Retumbo would be the powders to try if you're looking for temp stability both will perform great in the 7 RM with heavier bullets.
H4350 or 4831 will do the job, but you will not gain the velocity that you get with the slower powders generally.