• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best thermal on the market 2023 with 640 or better resolution?

Salonashots

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2022
Bowie Texas
I have recently been looking into upgrading my thermal scope to one with 640x? sensor resolution. With all the option that are available now, are there any that stand out? I am looking for something that is light, clear contrast, durable, and around $5000.

I have recently been looking into upgrading my thermal scope to one with 640x? sensor resolution. With all the option that are available now, are there any that stand out? I am looking for something that is light, clear contrast, durable, and around $5000.
What do you plan to use it for?
Open terrain or wooded?
Long or close shooting or just for spotting?
N-Vision, Bering Optics, Armasight, Iray, Pulsar have 640 core systems around your price range.

Reactions: Salonashots
In that price range, a used nox35 or Reap-ir are absolute no brainers. Hands down, no questions asked, NOTHING compares in that price range.

And when you decide to try something else or upgrade, you can sell them for what you paid. Free trial of BAE core USA made thermals is a pretty sweet deal.

Anyone know why the resolution for such expensive thermal devices is so low. 640x feels like 1985 resolution especially even cheap cameras have 20-30 megapixel resolution. Just wondering. Ordered the Pulsar 50 Pro and wondering if there is a 1024/2048 monocular that will be announced soon.

Reactions: Maddog51
The sensor chips inside them are not CCDs like inside a digital camera, it’s a completely different technology and to date it has been much harder and more expensive to manufacture high resolution microbolometers.

how long do you think it will take them to get to 1080p? or 4k? In our lifetimes or 10-15 years? I just got into thermal imaging
video/photos and need more resolution.

how long do you think it will take them to get to 1080p? or 4k? In our lifetimes or 10-15 years? I just got into thermal imaging
video/photos and need more resolution.
iRay has a commercial 1280 system and there are some military systems like the FWS that I think have had roughly that resolution for a while. But they are still prohibitively expensive and have other issues too (the iRay costs 18k, is a battery hog, and only 30Hz refresh rate which is too slow for most peoples’ preference).

But it’s likely that in 10-15yrs there will be multiple 1280 or higher res systems on the market and probably with 60Hz and other improvements. Thermal really wasn’t popular in the civilian world 10 years ago but there’s been an explosion in civilian ownership which is driving some development, and military tech advances will trickle down into civ devices. KAC might start selling 10 micron thermals to the public for the first time, though not yet sure.

Reactions: stefan73