• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Thermal under 2K.

Texaslongshot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2018
I am asking this for a friend. I have an IR defense that i bought 4 years ago and had researched up pretty hard back then but since then i have just used mine and not thought about it. I know the technology has changed a lot since then. Can I get a recommendation on the best thermal in the 2K and under price range. It will be used for varmints and hogs. Thanks

Pulsar Core rxq30v is considered to be a decent entry level scope. Been out since 2017 I believe so it has a record. I did read something about it possibly being discontinued this upcoming year tho. That could be here say. Downside is no focus

Flir had competition with the pulsar but left the civilian market last January

You could step up to the bearing optics Hogster R25 for a couple hundred more

Best bet for decent thermal (like a used pulsar apex) would be in the px section. They come up in the 38 and 50 models under $2000. However you don’t get any warranty.

I’d suggest looking into the hogster. Small unit, can be used as a monocular and has great image quality compared to the others in that price range

I owned the Pulsar Apex XD38A and was happy with it. Paid $1300 in the px. Used for a while then sold to fund my AI

Recently picked up the Hogster R35 from night goggles. Been so busy I haven’t had a chance to play around with it much yet

ATN has some cheaper ones but have heard some horror stories about them. I did own an ATN Xsight II NV scope for a while and it was decent

You could always get a scanner like AGM Asp Micro TM160 for ($500) or ($1300) for the 384 model and run a Sightmark Wraith NV scope ($500) with a decent IR illuminate on the weapon as well

If you go on YouTube check out the “late night vision show”

They’ve got some really good reviews of thermals/NV. They recently did a review of the best pics for under $2k and the Pulsar Core was the only one left they recommended. Next best option was the R25 Hogster for a bit more

I typed all this up assuming your looking at a scope and not a monocular

The Pulsar got stiff competition with the hogsters coming in. Supposedly some newer stuff coming in 2021 for the $2-$3,000 price point. That honestly seems to be the sweet spot for useful entry level thermal

Last edited: