• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best torque wrench for the $$?

BigBrother

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2007
New England
Hey all, I'm going through my second Wheeler torque wrench and am finding it too has lost its calibration.

Is there an actually high quality adjustable torque wrench out there that will give me the range (10-65 in-lbs) I need for my gun work?

Any "gold standards" out there?

Thanks!

Re: Best torque wrench for the $$?

I use a good old fashioned beam type.

1. No moving parts means no calibration.
2. Affordable.
3. No ratchets to wear out/slip/break/etc.
4. No springs to get weak/calibrate/move

Were not assembling connecting rods or heads. You just want suffucient tensile loading on the fastener/barrel.

I use a beam inchlb wrench made in the 60's. Works great.
So does my 20 dollar craftsman for big stuff.

Good luck

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snap-on dial type </div></div>

+1 for Snap on!! get the little guy.

I Love my Borka...The Tab Gear case is nice too!
If you get it from Borka, $3.50 shipping

LOBO 151

I like the $20 Harbor Freight torque wrench

Earlier this month I researched and tried to calculate the amount of max torque for a scope mount screw with a only a few threads engagement, I learned something.
The max torque for dry threads is almost the same as for lubricated with oil or grease.
But the max torque for waxed threads is about half as much.
It seems that oil and grease don't lubricate threads much.

So from what I learned about scope mount screws, I now wax my 7/8-14 barrel vise threads.

A buddy just bought a lever type wrench for about $50.00 that has multiple settings. From about 15-50 in lbs. I think he found it at brownells. I don't know the manufacture's name. I used it for my action screws. Most others I've seen with multiple settings are pretty expensive.

Watch the usual online auction sites for deals. There are a lot of tools be liquidated for cash right now.

The cool Seekonk preset T-handle wrenches pop up all the time - the key is in knowing which ones you want/need, and then keeping your eyes peeled.