• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best trimmer and neck turner

radmcg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Mobile, AL
Don't want neck turning war here just want to try it with and without as an experiment. What trimmer do you guys use and do you neck turn on it or recommend a hand held like sinclair 4000 etc? I have had a forester trimmer in the past and inside neck reamed necked down brass but never neck turned before. Is there one tool like the wilson/sinclair that does it all well?
AHA
Rad

Re: best trimmer and neck turner

Try the giraud power case trimmer, have had it for almost a year now makes trimming a breeze. Don't know how to make the linky hot but try www.giraudtool.com

Just kidding, don't think that is what you were really after. Guess thats why I read and don't post. But the giraud is a good case trimmer to say the least just maybe not a neck turner.

Hey Radmcg,I have several of both the Sinclair 3000 and the Forester neck turning tools and they both work ok.The Forester has a carbide tip cutter that i really like. This is probably a lath bit that can be eaisly replaced, if ever needed.The reason for owning several is that they are a real PITA to adjust and I usually ruin a few cases,so I buy one for each cal i turn for and leave it adjusted. A few bubbies have the K&M tool and they work good, also.As to case trimming,I use the Wilson,all tricked out as it comes from Sinclair.Plan to buy a Gracie or Giraud someday to use on the cals that i load a lot of. Hope this helps! Good Luck Lightman

I have the K&M neck turner. It's ok, but it would be better if it had more meat to it to dissipate heat better. My friend has the K&M and Sinclair 3000 and he's using the Sinclair exclusively now because it doesn't heat up as fast. If you let it heat up, you'll get thickness variation due to the mandrel expanding.

Thanks guys can't beat first hand experience. I would have never thought about the heat issue in a million years.
Rad

the best place to get information on this subject is www.benchrest.com. Once you get there go to Forums, then the gunsmiths corner Forum and search on Neck Turning. These are the guys that started all of the silliness associated with accuracy. Guys like Warren Page, Townsand Whelen, Harvey Donalson, Bob Hart, Mike Walker and a little later on McMillan, Shilen, and you can't leave out Palmisano, and indell the developers of the PPC. These guys have been arguing about neck turning for 50 years. You will ultimately come to the conclusion that unless you want to get into tight necked chambers and having your dies cut with the same reamer your chamber is cut with, turning necks is not worth it. My .308 is cut with a reamer that is slightly less than Saami minimum standard so that I can still use factory ammo and just clean up the high spots on my fireformed case necks. A blue printed action, good bedding job, custom barrel with a properly cut chamber should give you excellent accuracy out of a .308 without turning. There are a lot of reasons you should pick up a little accuracy on reloads the first of which is because your cases are fireformed to your chamber, and your finished rounds are more concentric, but without a fitted chamber, it is doubtful that turning necks will do much. Sorry for the long winded response. If you are a tinkerer go for it, just don'tend up like many benchresters that spend their cold winter nights sitting in front of the TV turning necks.

I don't neck turn, but I use the Wilson trimmer. It will inside neck ream, but not turn the necks. You can start out cheap with the Wilson, and add the wonderful goodies that Sinclair and others provide as budget allows. The base Wilson trimmer and case holders are quite low priced, and are every bit as accurate as the tricked-out setups from Sinclair, just not as convenient to use.

Andy

I'd second the Wilson Trimmer. I got mine from Sinclair with their stand and the "Shark Fin" clamp thing to hold the caseholder.

It cuts nice square necks, and lengths are dead nuts on. Its really a nice piece of equipment.

I really despise trimming so the next thing is the Power Adaptor for the Wilson or a Giraud.

HTH.

For neck turning, go with Sinclair products.