• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best Tripod Head / Mount

ColBatGuano

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
I've been on a search for a couple of years to find the "best" head to mount my spotting scope. Until now I've been using a Markins M20 ballhead, which, while a great head for photographic purposes, leaves something to be desired because it is a "ballhead", which means one knob loosens the mount on all axis.

While at RIfles Only I saw that Jacob mounts his Spotter 60 on a Bogen 3030 3-way Pan/Tilt tripod head. That is a good solution but the handles stick out a ways and I wanted something that would save a little space when traveling (the 3030 is no longer available new, but can be found on ebay -- the current comparable model looks to be the Manfrotto 804RC2, $79 at bhphotovideo.com).

I ended up getting the Manfrotto 460MG from B&H for $120. The load capacity is 6.6 lbs, but note that number is aimed at camera users who need more stability than spotting scopes for taking long exposure images. This head is lightweight (magnesium) and relatively compact compared to a pan/tilt head.

This head gives you three axes of adjustment and works really well for spotting on the line.

I'm using the 460MG to mount my new Vortex Razor HD 85mm spotter. The glass is very good and I recommend this scope. A ranging reticle eyepiece is available as an option and I have one on order. As you may know, having a Milradian ranging reticle makes it very easy to call corrections for shooters using a Milradian reticle scope.

You can see the head here on Manfrotto's site:

460MG

If you need a tripod I recommend looking at the Large QD Tripod with SSP-1 from Precision Rifle Solutions -precisionriflesolutions.com - as it includes a platform for supported shooting, giving you added value over a tripod set up just for photography.

I'm not employed by any of the companies mentioned above.

Re: Best Tripod Head / Mount

Really Right Stuff makes the best ball heads you can purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Textrips</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really Right Stuff makes the best ball heads you can purchase.</div></div>

Err...no disrespect but that's almost certainly a subjective opinion if you have not compared them side-by-side to the Markins. Comparing load capacity to weight the Markins is lighter. Markins machining is extremely well done. I would say they are comparable and you can't go wrong with either.

That said, based on my experience, ball heads and spotting scopes are a poor mix. Pan & Tilt or Geared tripod heads are the way to go for spotting scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What tripod you using? </div></div>

I use a Gitzo GT2531, Gitzo GT2540T, Manfrotto 3221 and the small tripod from Precision RIfle Solutions. I've had the large from PRS but gifted it to a buddy.

The Manfrotto is what I usually have a spotting scope mounted on, as the weight is negligible compared to all the other gear going to the range, and the aluminum is less of a worry than the carbon fiber. The carbon fiber pods are mainly for photography. But the GT2540T packs really small and lightweight so that goes to training or comps that require air travel.

Had RRS made carbon fiber tripods when I was in the market I would have looked hard at those for the Made In USA benefit.

No disrespect but RRS is most trusted head you can buy. Photographers that spend a lot more on gear than anyone's most expensive rifle with the most expensive glass use these heads over anything mentioned above.

It's a spotter, RRS is complete overkill... honestly even a Gitzo is overkill and I am all about higher end stuff. For a spotter, Giottos are great, Manfrotto certainly and most use the pistol heads, either vertical or horizontal mounting ones.

There is no reason to spend over $750 on a component for a spotter, and that Spotter 60 you saw was probably mine, I have that, plus 3 other Zeiss spotters and a Leica, including the now discontinued Zeiss Mil Reticle eye piece which was $500 alone. But spotters can use a good heavy tripod, carbon fiber works best in high winds like the Tower at RO, which the Giottos worked great, you beat the snot out of them and don't sweat the bruises.

RRS, is seriously silly for this application unless you have a lot of money to burn. Most use a Manfrotto 55 or 190.

Lowlight, why the 'carbon fiber works best in high winds' ?

Most carbon fiber are a carry-weight to support-weight ratio since they carry more structurally. But they don't do the job of stability any better. Many were developed for backpacking with 4x5 + gear which outweigh all but the largest spotters.

I have no problem with ball heads, even with the spotter, have a couple of gear heads too, but I'm very proficient with tripod use from photography basis before.

Personally I'm using Swaro's 65 on Vortex's High Country(2#'s carry, 5# support) as a cheap and compact field/scout setup. At the range I can use anything I want up to a Bogen 3051, but in reality been using 3001 or 3221 with geared 410 head.

Ultimately - working height - is the critical factor, especially if your tall, or want to get real low.

CF is more rigid and has less resonance when compared to Aluminum, so when the wind is blowing you have less vibration, especially, elevated on a wooden tower where the rubber feet, or lack of rubber feet are not there to help dampen the effects of the wind.

I have noticed it in more than one place, but especially when compared to being out on concrete, you have much less vibration transferring through especially in high wind. Less wind, not as much issue besides weight saving, but when the wind is blowing...

Composites are better than aluminum.

I bought one from platypus here on the Hide. PRS is his company. Don't know the brand and its painted now....he can help you with what I have. It is a trigger grip and it has been really nice. Also has QD top for quick on/off of your gear. My use is 100% as a tripod head for my spotter and range finder. I use it on his meddium and small tripods and it has seen hunting, wind, range, saddle bag use with no issues. It is a ball head but has and independent lever that allows panning after you release the trigger where you want it. It also will go 90* to allow use while prone. Here is his photo of it:
Update......I found the model in an old PM...Slik AE 1100

http://i52.tinypic.com/123upex.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/qx0yrl.jpg

I agree that RRS or Markins is overkill for the application we're talking about here. While certainly not the "best head", one of the best <span style="text-decoration: underline">buys</span> I've found for range spotter use is the Vanguard SBH-<span style="font-style: italic">xxx</span> line of ball heads. QD plate, bubble level(s), locking knobs, and under a hundred bucks. I use one of them with an old Manfrotto 3021 tripod (since replaced by the 055 model).

As a previous poster noted, the Manfrotto 3030 pan/tilt head also works well. I solved the "long arm problem" by making a shorty from a piece of 1/2" thinwall conduit.

Lowlight is right, a Manfrotto head and tripod is more than adequate. Spend your money on the glass.

w8vuio.jpg

bear2011014.jpg

Vector 21 on top of a Manfrotto 190CF and 222 head. It's a little heavy to pack around in the mountains, but a very solid setup.

manfrottotripod002.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Textrips</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No disrespect but RRS is most trusted head you can buy. Photographers that spend a lot more on gear than anyone's most expensive rifle with the most expensive glass use these heads over anything mentioned above. </div></div>

Errr....not willing to fight to the death over ballheads....but also too stupid to know when I'm in a no-win fight. I am very familiar with RRS, as well as Arca-Smith, and I have spent more on camera gear than my most expensive rifle...and I say...Markins is worth a look, particularly for landscape photographers. For me at least, it was the "most respected head I could buy."
wink.gif

Back to shooting-related topics: Echo Lima, I was very impressed with the scratch and drop-resistance of your Spotter 60. I think you were changing targets when I tested it.

The Spotter 60 I have, has taken its share of falls, I know I have dropped it too many times to count... not to mention the rides it has endured on the 4 Wheeler, being left outside in the rain, the wind, and sun... on high humidity days it was just easier to leave it outside and let it suffer a bit of weather.

I have also broken, on two different occasions my Zeiss 65 T* , under the same conditions the Spotter 60 has laughed at, and those were just the times I was using it. Who knows the suffering it has endured when people who didn't own it got their hands on it. You know how that goes.

I keep reading threads and coming across stuff new to me and looking it up - like the Spotter 60. But geez, the prices are to the point I'm waiting for someone to post a WTT offer of their shooting outfit for a house!

Check out the outdoorsmans.com... their stuff is awesome!!!

I have one of the early Acra-Tec Ultimate Ballheads and due to it's relatively low weight and open design I feel it's not too bad of a choice if you can get one reasonable used. No doubt about it's ruggedness, had it since it came out. Don't really like the geared heads, if I can pan I'm good.
I've got a great Gitzo, but never use anything but a shortest/offset Ray-Vin, or the 3/4 "sniper" model.
3 leg plastic UltraPod actually useful on Leica binocs.
Anything other than prone I'll use the Gitzo CF.