• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best twist for .300 WM - 190gr. Black Hills Match

dragoon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2007
Carolina Lowcountry
I'm putting together a rifle , using an AIC stock . I plan on using a 26" Rock Creek M-40 profile barrel . It will be threaded for the SWR OMEGA 300 muzzle can . My main load will be the Black Hills 190gr. Match , although I may handload . What's the best twist ? I've had conflicting opinions between 1:10 and 1:11.27 . I'm looking for long-range accuracy . Thanks in advance ...

Re: Best twist for .300 WM - 190gr. Black Hills Match

I shoot a .300WM with a 1/10 twist barrel. My primary loads use both the 190gr. SMK bullet and the 210gr. Berger. The rifle shoots both of these bullets equally well.

I know from personal experience that a 1/11.25 twist barrel will shoot the 190gr SMK with no problems, but I'm not so sure about its abilities with the heavier bullets and since the .300WM thrives on the heavier bullets I don't think that you should limit yourself if you're chambering for this cartridge. Who knows, you may just get the urge to shoot the heavier bullets someday. It'd be a shame if you couldn't take advantage of them, especially at long range.

Definitely 1 in 10 26 incher. A lot more versatility with different loads. Shoots light stuff well and heavy stuff even better.

Well, mine (Rock)was a 10 but the new one is 11.27, as 154's 163's, 190's an 197's do everything I need done no matter the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/10 </div></div>

+1

I have a 1/12 Schneider 25" barrel and shoot the BH 190's. I haven't had any problems with them at all shooting to 1k.