• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best under $1000

CharlieNC

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
I'm a bolt guy, don't know the semi's at all. I see major price drops and ready to get a basic unit for plinking and home defense. Buds Guns have many for under $1000. Looking for your suggestions for a good brand-model in this bracket.

I'm a bolt guy, don't know the semi's at all. I see major price drops and ready to get a basic unit for plinking and home defense. Buds Guns have many for under $1000. Looking for your suggestions for a good brand-model in this bracket.

NOTE: Home defense and Plinking are often considered opposing uses. If you are betting your life on a gun, many will point you toward the High End-Colt, Noveske, etc.

If you want an AR for general familiarity and to use for at the range (formal or informal) many will point you to some of the more basic units. An AR that is good for "fun" use and to be familiar with the platform is a gun in which a failure will be annoying, not life threatening.

All that being said, a basic Smith and Wesson MP-15 like this:

Product: Model M&P15OR Rifle

Is a good staring point.

Good Luck,

BMT

Note that the MSRP on that rifle will not be price at the gunshop.

Also, the rifle has no sights, were you thinking of a scope/aimpoint/or iron sights within that $1,000 budget?

BMT

BMT I will start with iron sights. Pink unfortunately in my PC city Wal Mart does not carry guns and with the high sales tax its hard to beat Buds and mail order.

The number one manufacturer carried by LE is bushmaster, not the higher end units.
Not because they are great, but they do work.
I carry a S&W M&P ORC, it was just a bit more than the bushmaster guns, but the quality difference was apparent. Little things like a properly staked gas key, etc... that were on the smith.
If I was going to do it all over, I would have chosen a flat top model with a fixed front sight (when I ordered my .300 blk upper, this is the route that I chose)

Methinks you would be hard pressed to beat this:
Core 15 100425 M4 Scout 30+1 223REM/5.56NATO 16" $610.00 SHIPS FREE

buy the colt 6920 and a good stand alone rear sight . add a quality light and your good to go for home defense and plinking at the range . the gun will come with a sling so spend some money on spare magazines and ammo . once you shoot the gun for a while you might want to change some stuff or maybe just leave it the way it is .

"The number one manufacturer carried by LE is bushmaster, not the higher end units.
Not because they are great, but they do work"

They were chosen because of price and nothing else!

I would consider a 6920 at their price point right now.

Your talking 900 or less which is a great price.

"The number one manufacturer carried by LE is bushmaster, not the higher end units.
Not because they are great, but they do work"

They were chosen because of price and nothing else!

As an armorer for not only my agency, but I also work on several of the other surrounding agency's and individual officers patrol rifles. The two brands I've had to repair the most have been Bushmaster, and Rock River Arms. They will all break eventually, but those two stand out for the most failures durring carbine training classes I've seen. Even DPMS and Stag's(One of my personal favorites cost Vs. Quality) have proven to be more reliable than RRA and Bushmasters. I'm not sure how Bushmaster has changed since they are now owned by the freedom group. I can hope it's gotten better.

Nothing will even come close to a 20" bull barrel rock river arms varmint 5.56 AR for under 1000 dollars... I got mine shipped from gunbroker out the door for 975 dollars....... and in terms of accuracy it will perform just as good if not better than rifles twice as expensive..... Never had an issue with all of my RRA rifles

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=428592133

Last edited:
Based on your input I compared the various models vs price and ordered a Core15, not the basic Scout but for a few more $ got the M4 in order to have the chrome lined barrel. All of the many reviews were sterling, and I think I have a nice starter for $650. I cannot afford to get the bug for the semi's like I have for the bolt actions! Thanks for your help.

Dude, for just 300.00 more (even less, depending on where you go), you can own a Daniel Defense.

If you don't have it right now, just save until you do.

DD barrels are known to be of very high quality, CHF units.

Dude, for just 300.00 more (even less, depending on where you go), you can own a Daniel Defense.

If you don't have it right now, just save until you do.

DD barrels are known to be of very high quality, CHF units.

I also recommend the Daniel Defense V7 or V5 as the best M4 for the money. You can get either for less than $1100 through Buds (make an offer).

I love my rock river arms and have seen plenty go for under 1k

Based on your input I compared the various models vs price and ordered a Core15, not the basic Scout but for a few more $ got the M4 in order to have the chrome lined barrel. All of the many reviews were sterling, and I think I have a nice starter for $650. I cannot afford to get the bug for the semi's like I have for the bolt actions! Thanks for your help.

You gotta laugh. The OP asks for an opinion, and before the thread is even up for an entire day, he buys a rifle "based on our input". A rifle that no one even suggested no less. Hell brother, we didn't even get a chance to offer any input.

No offense intended OP, but it's kinda funny.

/thread

Last edited:
Bird obviously you did not bother to look at the useful link provided by fdkay before you began your rant. Other good input too here and on the world-wide-web. Not a rocket science decision.