• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Best Value Ballistic Helmets

I've got two ballistics two bumps and a night cap.

The most recent ballistic has a re-padding job that I really love ... soft, bouncy all a round padding that makes my other helmets feel like they might as well not have any pads !!

I used to load my helmets up with lots of crap. Lights and magazines and spare batteries ... as well as the NV/Thermals on front. One shooting buddy advised against this and warned about "neck compression" ... I've been wearing "heavy" helmets for 8 years now ... and upon reading about "neck compression" I do not have any of those symptoms (I'd probably be dead if I did :D ) ... but until I learn more about the subject, I decided to lighten up. I was already carrying a gerber recon 3 lumen RGBW light in my pocket anyway ... and often carry a Petzel RW head light as well. So I'm well stocked for admin lights regardless. The illum on the head was nice, but now a days I've added ELIR-3 illums to my relevant stoners, so don't need both.

But I have re-read German's thoughts on the "cost/benefit" (weight cost/ballistic benefit) ... and find it very interesting !! There certainly have been several cases I read about where the ballistic helmets made a difference, but if those cases are truly "one out of a million" ... then the extra ounces are probably not worth it. Though having a bump with the best possible padding and shroud would still be desirable. I do put comms on half my helmets and keep the other half of the comms in separate headsets. They can actually be worn under the helmets, though having comms on the helmets seems easier/faster to don.

The night caps work for single tube/single thermal (or maximally a 14 + coti) but I can't get NC to work with duals .. the weight of the bridge and the two units on front cannot adequately be balanced by counter-weight on the rear, due to the lack of solid platform. I still get "motion" when moving ... with the NC ... when I go beyond 14+COTI ... YMMV

Reactions: Ironman8
Like I said, no skin off my nose one way or the other.

These sub forums are for discussing the various sub topics.

Lecturing about other people being weak, or how you still train with real weight at near 50 just smacks of virtue signaling about how hard you think you are. <shrug> Perhaps virtue signaling was too harsh, would bloviating been better?

Look, the reason the content and members here are generally a step above the average is for several reasons, but the primary ones are:

1. They typically don't tolerate fools or bullshit.

2. They tend to be a collection of quiet professionals.

To be sure there are exceptions, but by and far, most members (male and female) tend to say their piece without a need to chest thump. Perhaps that wasn't your intent, but (to me anyways) that was how your comment came off (be glad it isn't 5 or 10 years ago, or you'd have gotten the "OAF" treatment).

Like I said, say your piece, speak your mind...just don't be too much of a dick about it. Take that sort of behavior/urge, and air it out in the pit (that's why the boss put it there).

P.S. You're not the only 50 year old still lifting heavy. There's a few of us here...
Fair enough.
To be clear, I wasn't chest thumping. Maybe if we were face to face you could read that. Words on a screen tend to be interpreted by the reader a certain way. Possibly I should use an emoji, they do translate things better.
My point was this, folks like us have to be an example for others. If not who will?
I will admit that I should have worded it differently, point taken. Typing on this phone tends to irritate me and I'll shorten my message, sometimes to my detriment.
To your point about silent professionals, I agree sir. I enjoy the folks on here.
I also thought they would get the meaning of my post.
I'll clean it up, thanks.
Keep your powder dry.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Really?
My life is over now?
Lost all meaning and value because our mod got onto me and I disagree with his wording?
Not really a big thing to me man, I promise I'll survive.
But thank you for asking, it means a lot.

you missed the part where none of us gave a fuck about your childish rant. While your doing all that training, best balance in some mental stimulation. It’ll do ya good. 😘

@WillHugh I have a Revision Viper P4 high cut incoming for me to try out from a new friend of mine. If I like it, he may sell it to me. Any experience with Revision? How is their suspension system? Seems like it’s different than what’s mostly out there in the market.
I don't personally have any experience with their helmets, but they've been making them for the military for a long time, and it looks like that helmet is supposed to be their latest and best offering. Suspension and padding systems are a pretty personal thing so you'll have to see how it fits you. Everyone around here seems to love the 4d pads so you could always upgrade to those if you love the helmet but are having trouble with the fit.

@TheGerman said it better than I did in my first post, but a ballistic helmet might not be the best option for a number of reasons; that being said, you're fortunate that someone's lending you one to try, so you'll know exactly how it works for you. Some people seem to think the lightweight ballistic helmets balance better with nods than bump helmets, so who knows. Good luck, and let us know what you think of the helmet!

you missed the part where none of us gave a fuck about your childish rant. While your doing all that training, best balance in some mental stimulation. It’ll do ya good. 😘

Since you simply couldn't let it go.

Obviously you missed the point where I simply do not give a fuck what you think.
So. Try to catch it this time.
I
Don't
Give
A
Fuck
What
You
Think

Do you get it now?

Run along now.

I have so many different ballistic helmets, you’d think I was a Hydra — Team Wendy (pre-2016), Ops Core Maritime, Revision, Chinesium, Mtek, 3M, and soon-to-be Dutch. If I were motivated, I’d do a comparison review, but I have a feeling that’s been done already somewhere. Probably on YouTube.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Sorry guys, looking through this thread and all I see is a ‘ULM’ reference to a Dutch helmet. Can anyone share any additional info on this?

Just got this and a hole in my pocket......the Caiman from Galvion.

Attachments

• 804EC86E-D501-47BB-8B87-3FBADC61FFD8.jpeg
    804EC86E-D501-47BB-8B87-3FBADC61FFD8.jpeg
    676.6 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: jb313
My buddy is a big time Ops Core fan and he was given a Revision helmet to test for this SWAT team. He is getting one for a bump helmet and would've replaced his Ops Core if the team Sgt would've got the Revision helmets instead. I personally, have never tried one, but he usually doesn't talk that well about something unless he truly likes it.

I have little knowledge of helmets. I decided with how things have been that having some head protection against physical objects like rocks and bottles, with some handgun protection, might be useful. I grabbed a used Mil helmet off eBay for about $150 and I'm going to grab some Ops Core pads/harness.

I think a helmet is almost the last thing I'm going to grab if something happens, and will probably never be used. Maybe it will. Because of this I didn't want to spend $1,000 on it.

When it comes to helmets and cost, I think the old motorcyclist saying comes to mind: "How much is your head worth?"

That being said, a bump helmet satisfies the majority of protection that a ballistic helmet is usually faced with. Unless you're getting shelled, or having grenades tossed in your direction, the ballistic properties of a helmet are largely unnecessary for any civilian. And if it does come down to a civilian needing that protection for those reasons, I'm sure there'll be plenty laying around to scrounge from, and outfit yourself with one.

JMTCW...

When it comes to helmets and cost, I think the old motorcyclist saying comes to mind: "How much is your head worth?"

That being said, a bump helmet satisfies the majority of protection that a ballistic helmet is usually faced with. Unless you're getting shelled, or having grenades tossed in your direction, the ballistic properties of a helmet are largely unnecessary for any civilian. And if it does come down to a civilian needing that protection for those reasons, I'm sure there'll be plenty laying around to scrounge from, and outfit yourself with one.

JMTCW...
Been busy doing things.
Now that I have a minute, nightcap?
I've seen a lot of people liking them, and a lot not liking them.
Since I haven't used one, I'm wondering if they fit snugly, re: don't flop around or need readjusted frequently?
I'm looking for a light NV mount and this might be the ticket.
Even if it reminds me of a high dollar welding cap. :)