• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best value base rifle for a “build”?

Leveraction35

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2022
Pennsylvania
I’d like to “build” a new coyote/bobcat rifle for next year. I use the term lightly… a trigger swap and stock of choice are in the plans. I’ve had very good luck with my current 223 using 55gr Frontier HP Match being easy in fur. It would be hard for me to leave the 223 because of that…my current rifle is a Savage Axis which is phenomenally accurate but there is very little aftermarket support for triggers and stock upgrades, so it’ll be a gun for the kids now

My list of “requirements…
—Bolt Action
— ~ $500 gun budget, used is ok too
—decent aftermarket support so I can swap triggers and stocks
—60° bolt for clearance between optic and gloves
—threaded barrel is preferred but not a deal breaker

Some guns on the list are
—Howa 1500 and Mini
—Ruger American series
—Tikka T3 and T3X (little over budget but that’s ok)
—Weatherby Vanguard
—recommend some others too

I’m sure they are all just fine. Ultimately I’m looking for feedback on bad experiences with any of these so I can narrow my list

Here’s my Ruger ranch 556. Top and bottom groups at 100 yards using hornady 55 hp steel match
IMG_3767.jpeg

Reactions: Leveraction35
I know this isn’t in your budget but I recommend the aero precision solus barreled action from pva arms for $1000 it has a 60 degree bolt throw yeah it more money but in the long run you can swap barrels easily so say this season you want to run 223 then next you can run 223ai.

I know this isn’t in your budget but I recommend the aero precision solus barreled action from pva arms for $1000 it has a 60 degree bolt throw yeah it more money but in the long run you can swap barrels easily so say this season you want to run 223 then next you can run 223ai.
I’m always open to suggestions, thank you 👍

I’m always open to suggestions, thank you 👍
The reason I recommend that is because all the other ones on your list aren’t 60 degrees the ruger is 75 and the tikka is 45 so technically the solus is the only one that meets your requirement.

It shoots awesome. However it sounds like a zipper when you operate the action. But it does take ar mags. So theoretically you can run a Magpul D60 if you want
That was one of the reasons I never bought a ruger I just couldn’t get past the zipper sound of the action it bugged the shit out of me. 😂

The reason I recommend that is because all the other ones on your list aren’t 60 degrees the ruger is 75 and the tikka is 45 so technically the solus is the only one that meets your requirement.
Bad wording on my part, I should have said 60° or less. That would be ideal…Then I was told about the Bolt knob extenders so I put the Ruger, howa and Weatherby back on the list too.

Reactions: Ty21
I’d like to “build” a new coyote/bobcat rifle for next year. I use the term lightly… a trigger swap and stock of choice are in the plans. I’ve had very good luck with my current 223 using 55gr Frontier HP Match being easy in fur. It would be hard for me to leave the 223 because of that…my current rifle is a Savage Axis which is phenomenally accurate but there is very little aftermarket support for triggers and stock upgrades, so it’ll be a gun for the kids now

My list of “requirements…
—Bolt Action
— ~ $500 gun budget, used is ok too
—decent aftermarket support so I can swap triggers and stocks
—60° bolt for clearance between optic and gloves
—threaded barrel is preferred but not a deal breaker

Some guns on the list are
—Howa 1500 and Mini
—Ruger American series
—Tikka T3 and T3X (little over budget but that’s ok)
—Weatherby Vanguard
—recommend some others too

I’m sure they are all just fine. Ultimately I’m looking for feedback on bad experiences with any of these so I can narrow my list
There’s a guy in the Px selling the Solus actions for a hair over the $500 budget

Save a little more and start there and build.

Bighorn Prefit from the Px
Trigger from the Px
Bravo Chassis from Px

It’s doable if you are smart and watch the Px and can up the budget

I gotta play with one my kid brother has the 300blk version and it’s a great farm rifle
It’s a great coyote rifle. If you’re after lightweight, short and quiet when suppressed it’s awesome. It’s not a tikka by any means but not priced as one either.

I heard the Gen 2 models went up a decent amount though. I don’t remember what I paid for this one but I felt it was a steal when I shot it

Reactions: TheBigCountry
There’s a guy in the Px selling the Solus actions for a hair over the $500 budget

Save a little more and start there and build.

Bighorn Prefit from the Px
Trigger from the Px
Bravo Chassis from Px

It’s doable if you are smart and watch the Px and can up the budget
What’s Px? Sorry I’m new here lol.

Bad wording on my part, I should have said 60° or less. That would be ideal…Then I was told about the Bolt knob extenders so I put the Ruger, howa and Weatherby back on the list too.
All good man I was just being technical lol 😂 and I do agree with @TheBigCountry about watching px because there is always deals going on. And maybe save a little more and up the budget a little.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
I bought donor guns several times for builds. I would highly recommend just buying an action and build off of that!

I have zero issues spending the money for a tikka if the quality is that much different
Tikka is higher quality. How much the $$ difference is though I’m not sure. I know the Gen 2 rugers took a price jump and haven’t tried on of those

I have a hard time getting anything cheaper than a Tikka.
I’d maybe buy a CZ or Howa (90º bolt though) but every other rifle feels horrible in comparison, especially the plastic stocks and mags.

I have zero issues spending the money for a tikka if the quality is that much different
The Tikka would be your best bet since their quality is high and they have allot of aftermarket support for stocks/chassis and barrels. Ruger is ok for the price as they are a budget rifle that does shoot well, but they do not have the aftermarket support that Tikka has.

For 60 degree bolt throws, there are few rifle manufactures out there and most are expensive. So, I would look at some of the aftermarket actions out there and see who has one with a .384 (223) bolt face and use that as the base for a new rifle build.

A Weatherby Vanguard is made by Howa and is identical to the Howa 1500. Only difference is Weatherby has the option of their own very high quality wooden stock. I own one and absolutely love it.

Here's why I think it would be a great barreled action to put together what you want well within your price range.

*The barreled action only with no stock is available everywhere (Brownell's, etc...) for around 400 bucks in a wide variety of chambers.

*No need to purchase an aftermarket trigger. The one that comes with it is stellar on purpose. It's two stage and adjustable to 2.5 lbs of pull. I have mine set at 1.2 lbs by simply cutting one coil turn off of the tension spring in the trigger. It took me all of 30 minutes to do (plenty of YouTube videos to help out) and it doesn't affect the trigger sear engagement so it's not unsafe.

*I highly highly highly recommend the 22-250 chambered option for Coyotes (I can't emphasize this enough. LOL). It is a tack driver from hell. If you're going to take the coyote's hide, don't run a V-Max bullet through this rifle. Soft point or hollow point only. The V-Max with blow that coyote apart as 22-250's run in the 3900-4100 fps range. This also gives you the option of long range stuff (out to 500 yards easily) that the .223 or 5.56 can't handle. A 22-250 shoots crazy flat.

*The Howa 1500 22-250 barreled action has an option with a factory threaded muzzle at no extra upcharge.

*If you reload, you already have the .224 bullets on hand from your other rifle and if factory ammo is your thing, 22-250 is readily available everywhere with any bullet type you prefer.

I handled the 90 degree bolt throw by simply buying a 40 dollar aluminum bolt extension that bolts right onto the knob in 1 minute.

*A ton of aftermarket stocks and all kinds of other shit are available for the Howa 1500 action as it is very popular with people building rifles due to the factory trigger quality and overall quality of the barrel and bolt. It's top notch.

So basically, all you're going to need for your build is whatever stock you like to run and the bolt extension.

Did I mention make sure you get a 22-250? :geek: I'm telling you that cartridge is an absolute nightmare showstopper for Coyotes around the Globe. Groundhogs and Prairie dogs get turned inside out, no suffering involved.

• Love
Reactions: Leveraction35