• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best value chronograph

czgunner

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2007
WY
Hey everybody, the piece missing in my reloading toolbox is a chronograph.
Can I get some help picking an affordable one? I'm back in school full time and the V.A. money isn't very good, so I'm looking to spend less than $200.
Is there anything decent in that price range?

you might pic up a used magneto speed for 200 maybe .

amazon has the sporter for sale 199. best of luck

Last edited:
Reactions: JAS-SH
Magneto Sporter!! For sure! I love my V3 but the sporter is just as accurate to my knowledge.

You can buy chronos cheaper but I would bet my bottom dollar they won't be near as accurate.

I run a MS on everything from rimfire, PRS, hunting rigs, and my ELR rigs and I have yet to need to true my data. Out to 2 miles my stuff lines up.

With having many years of great luck with the same unit and getting similar numbers from buddies units you would be hard pressed to get me to change my mind on it. I've ran some rounds through budget chronos and the speed may be 50 fps off and require truing. That requires ammo and a range. If I know I can get solid numbers from just a few rounds that accurate chrono will pay for itself. So in short, I'm a fan of the Magnetospeed stuff. On top of that they support the shooting sports and stuff pretty heavy so that's another plus.

Hope this helps!

What's with those little ones I see on ebay ?
They look like they would blow apart if you tried to send a rifle slug through one.
They look real cute for 50 bucks or so, but.....no way can they work.....

Stretch your budget for a MagnetoSpeed. Anything less and you’d be as close just guessing based on your load. 5-10 rounds down range at various distances is better than a budget chrono.

Reactions: RobertB
Does that Magnetospeed Sporter work with an 11.5" SBR that has a YHM suppressor mount? I'm guessing not with the suppressor.

I'm running a ProChrono DLX. $150 give or take. I can Bluetooth link it to my phone. It's actually a nice unit for no more than I paid for it

Planned on buying a LabRadar. But when the time came to pull the trigger on one they weren't in stock anywhere.

Mike

I'm back in school full time and the V.A. money isn't very good, so I'm looking to spend less than $200.
Is there anything decent in that price range?
Save up your money for now.

Most folks will be happy to run your speed for you at the range if you are a starving student and polite.

Many of us worked our way through school and we didn't have the budget for things like this, so be patient and focus on the long game.

A Magneto Speed or LabRadar are what you will want when the time comes. By then, maybe the Bullet Seeker or the AndiScan will be worked out better.

I hope they get other radar chrono's lined out. The LabRadar is frustrating. It's amazing when it works, but it misses too many shots and the app is still buggy (although the update was a vast improvement). It's also wonky when you're trying to chrono stuff in the pistol/rifle transition range.

They really need a v2 or something. They've sold a ton of them... it's like they've done almost nothing to update it since.

Does that Magnetospeed Sporter work with an 11.5" SBR that has a YHM suppressor mount? I'm guessing not with the suppressor.
yes and no. mine will pick up the rounds (high sensitivity) but the speed is very sporadic and not trustworthy. wish I saved for the bigger version so it would fit on the suppressor. I run the same setup/suppressor

Reactions: czgunner
I love the Labradar. I have a friend with one, and he let me use it when we were at the range together. He said I can anytime he is there. They seem to be popular. This is another range I go too last summer. I've been thinking of a Magnetospeed.

Call me old fashioned but I use a Caldwell G2, it Bluetooth links to my phone and the data is easy to manage on the app. Yes it's a pain in the dick to set up compared to others and it gets finicky after a half hour but it took a 22lr round to the rear box and it still works!

My Magneto Speed V3 has been great. I use it with my suppressors all the time. I use the MK mount but I had to re do all of the set screws to use bigger ones. The extention rod makes it fairly long (which it has to be to work on a rifle + suppressor ) and I couldn't get the mount to stay put without torturing the little set screws so much you couldn't get them back out. Once I drilled and tapped every one to a larger set screws size, it's been absolutely perfect. Never moves and is pretty quick and easy to adjust for different rifles now too. My V3 with mount stays in my truck and gets knocked around a fair bit and is still good to go. That's the only thing about the mount, you can't really put the V3 back in the case so you kind of have to carry the v3 and mount and the case but it really does work great and I don't have to constantly fool with it like some Labradars I have seen and hear about ect...

I’ve had a Labrador and a Magnetospeed… got rid of both. IMO they both suck for various/different reasons.

Turns out the shitty thrifty ProChrono DLX has a way better App than the expensive ones and gets the job done (for my rifles as well as my USPSA blasters).

I just use it like a tool to measure MV and ES/SD stats (which I then true up with a Kestrel/StrelokPro anyway)… which means I shoot my chrono rounds into the dirt (berm).

Under $200 with cheap ass Amazon tripod, examples of some of the stat sheets the App will spit out:

E239BA49-F426-4AD8-A9D6-ED8AF69A43BD.jpegF669EB30-B378-4D21-9BFC-A5418C65FB3C.pngDF9521EA-BD7B-42A1-9ED2-5E68AE61C50F.jpeg

I’ve had a Labrador and a Magnetospeed… got rid of both. IMO they both suck for various/different reasons.

Turns out the shitty thrifty ProChrono DLX has a way better App than the expensive ones and gets the job done (for my rifles as well as my USPSA blasters).

I just use it like a tool to measure MV and ES/SD stats (which I then true up with a Kestrel/StrelokPro anyway)… which means I shoot my chrono rounds into the dirt (berm).

Under $200 with cheap ass Amazon tripod, examples of some of the stat sheets the App will spit out:

View attachment 8014284View attachment 8014285View attachment 8014286
I got a new phone recently and the app won't work with it.

The workaround was simple enough... My old phone doesn't have service but the Bluetooth will still link up. I just keep my old phone battery charged and throw the phone in the bag with the chronograph.

I always get strange looks at the range the first time the voice calls out the velocity after a shot.

Mike

Reactions: CK1.0
I'm running a ProChrono DLX. $150 give or take. I can Bluetooth link it to my phone. It's actually a nice unit for no more than I paid for it

Planned on buying a LabRadar. But when the time came to pull the trigger on one they weren't in stock anywhere.

Mike
+1 on this. Measured mine against a LabRadar and was spot on.

Reactions: OkieMike
I bought the ProChrono DLX and used it today. It worked mostly great. With the bright WY sun, it got pissed and gave me nutty readings a few times. Any suggestions to deal with this?

I bought the ProChrono DLX and used it today. It worked mostly great. With the bright WY sun, it got pissed and gave me nutty readings a few times. Any suggestions to deal with this?

Chrono when it's cloudy/overcast. 😜

Seriously though, any optical chrono is going to be shitty in the sun. If you need to check speeds on sunny days I'd try clipping a big piece of cardboard on top of the whole contraption to shade it, or maybe try one of those pop-up canopies.

I had issues during sunny weather the other day... First time I've had that happen, but I was running it without the diffusers. Put 'em on and the problem went away.

I usually have more issues when it's cloudy.

CZ you might put some copy paper on the diffusers to help diffuse bright sunlight a bit more.

Mike

I’m in the market for a chrono as well and this thread has been very helpful. I have a CED Millenium (the original silver one) but someone shot the sensors a few years ago. Bought a pair of the M2 sensors but they don’t work with the old head unit. Given that line or chronos is over 10 years old, I thought I’d explore some new options with apps, etc.

LabRadar = too expensive

MagnetoSpeed = won’t work for my bow or handguns and not optimal for suppressors, among the other issues with hanging stuff on the end of your barrel

CED M2 - old, no Bluetooth or app, but a plus is I have a set of extra sensors

I’m strongly considering the ProChrono DLX at this point.

I’m in the market for a chrono as well and this thread has been very helpful. I have a CED Millenium (the original silver one) but someone shot the sensors a few years ago. Bought a pair of the M2 sensors but they don’t work with the old head unit. Given that line or chronos is over 10 years old, I thought I’d explore some new options with apps, etc.

LabRadar = too expensive

MagnetoSpeed = won’t work for my bow or handguns and not optimal for suppressors, among the other issues with hanging stuff on the end of your barrel

I say get one.

It's just a "dumb chrono" like worked great in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, etc until time suddenly stopped and "after Labradar" time began... however, the bluetooth/App make it very useful if you plan to use it more like a "data collector" than "range buddy" lol.

IMO the Labradar is more of a pain in the ass than it's worth, period.

These days with all of us carrying around Strelok Pro, A.B, Geoballistics, D40F, etc in our pockets (or still using a Kestrel if one likes to play Atari in a PS5 world), I see the chronograph as a tool that can be "left in the shed" most days.

I will break mine out one or two days when I've got a new barrel, and maybe here or there later on if I think I'm having an issue related to MV... but other than that, it stays stashed in the truck.

IMO chrono's are like borescopes around here... criminally overused and mostly misunderstood.

ETA: This is how small a Prochrono DLX and cheap little Amazon tripod packs (https://competitionelectronics.com/products/prochrono-carrying-case):

image0-6.jpegimage1-5.jpeg

Last edited:

LabRadar = too expensive

I won't blow smoke up your butt and tell you the DLX is the best thing going.

But for the money and what you get, it's going to be tough to beat.

Mike

Reactions: CK1.0
I say get one.

It's just a "dumb chrono" like worked great in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, etc until time suddenly stopped and "after Labradar" time began... however, the bluetooth/App make it very useful if you plan to use it more like a "data collector" than "range buddy" lol.

These days with all of us carrying around Strelok Pro, A.B, Geoballistics, D40F, etc in our pockets (or still using a Kestrel if one likes to play Atari in a PS5 world), I see the chronograph as a tool that can be "left in the shed" most days.

I will break mine out one or two days when I've got a new barrel, and maybe here or there later on if I think I'm having an issue related to MV... but other than that, it stays stashed in the truck.

IMO chrono's are like borescopes around here... criminally overused and mostly misunderstood.

ETA: This is how small a Prochrono DLX and cheap little Amazon tripod packs (https://competitionelectronics.com/products/prochrono-carrying-case):

View attachment 8060714View attachment 8060715
I have about 5 rifles I am developing loads for but currently in a ‘stop work’ scenario due to not having chrono data.

I won't blow smoke up your butt and tell you the DLX is the best thing going.

But for the money and what you get, it's going to be tough to beat.

Mike
What is ‘the best thing going’? (For something that will work on bow/arrow in addition to firearms. I’ll get that one.

Why?

My Labradar works for 99%+ of shots I take, and if you get a mount for a Magneto Speed, they are pretty quick and easy. Visual chronos have a whole host of issues with them (lighting, mounts, longer setup, issues shooting prone, accidentally putting an errant round through them), which is why both the MS and LR came out to begin with.

Reactions: Holliday
Why?

My Labradar works for 99%+ of shots I take, and if you get a mount for a Magneto Speed, they are pretty quick and easy. Visual chronos have a whole host of issues with them (lighting, mounts, longer setup, issues shooting prone, accidentally putting an errant round through them), which is why both the MS and LR came out to begin with.

Well, first you need the Labradar (that you can't just leave in your truck because it costs ~600 bucks), then you need a better base, then a real battery, then an extra bag to weigh down the base, then a trigger for it, then maybe a sight/red dot, then...

Sometimes I go to my club and see guys spend more time fucking with the Labradar than their rifles lol. YMMV.

I had one for a short time... nope.

Besides, maybe more of an "ethos thing" but beyond initial data I don't need a chrono. Once I know what a good SD is supposed to look like, the targets can tell me if my SD is holding up, and chances are I'll true my velocity/BC using the solver/App on a day-to-day basis anyways.

Reactions: Holliday
What is ‘the best thing going’? (For something that will work on bow/arrow in addition to firearms. I’ll get that one.

The reality is, the best chrono is probably all 3 for differing circumstances: old school/Prochrono DLX, Magnetospeed (easiest for fudds), and Labradar.

If you're willing to put up with some of the trade-offs, an old school chrono can be fine.

But, if you are chrono'ing all kinds of different stuff, and won't be able to have the range "go cold" as often as you'd need... then maybe the Labradar is exactly the solution for you... just remember you need the side-dishes for the entree to actually work correctly lol.

Reactions: Shrike
Well, first you need the Labradar (that you can't just leave in your truck because it costs ~600 bucks), then you need a better base, then a real battery, then an extra bag to weigh down the base, then a trigger for it, then maybe a sight/red dot, then...

Sometimes I go to my club and see guys spend more time fucking with the Labradar than their rifles lol. YMMV.

I had one for a short time... nope.

Besides, maybe more of an "ethos thing" but beyond initial data I don't need a chrono. Once I know what a good SD is supposed to look like, the targets can tell me if my SD is holding up, and chances are I'll true my velocity/BC using the solver/App on a day-to-day basis anyways.

Yes, very unlike the DLX chronographs which float in the air, don't require batteries, carry themselves without bags, never give errors, and can't be hit by improperly lined up shots.

You don't need a fancy sight (you can literally use a straw, if you even need it), you can use cell phone batteries if you want (or just use AAs), you don't need a trigger unless you're shooting suppressed 22lr or something.

The labradar isn't perfect, but you're overdoing it a bit on the downsides. It is bigger than I wish, and the app was garbage for a while (it's much better these days). It occasionally still misses shots if it gets blasted by a muzzle brake. But it also gives much more easily accessed and useful data than anything else.

Hopefully the newer radar chrony's coming out put some pressure on them to innovate a bit. It could definitely use a v2.

Well, first you need the Labradar (that you can't just leave in your truck because it costs ~600 bucks),
I use a photographic backpack for all my spotting optics related gear (spotting scope, LRF, eyepieces). The LR goes into the laptop pouch on the front. This bag never stays in the vehicle, and always comes with me when I shoot. No special case, no fuss, no muss.

then you need a better base, then a real battery,
A $10 battery you get on Amazon. I keep a couple in my bag all the time for a variety of uses. One is the solar charged variety.

then an extra bag to weigh down the base,
I don't find that I need this. I use a small $20 tripod with a mini ball mount.

then a trigger for it,
I don't use a trigger - works well without unless you're at a crowded range.

then maybe a sight/red dot,
Never needed one. Visual sighting works.

then...

Sometimes I go to my club and see guys spend more time fucking with the Labradar than their rifles lol.
Not sure what they're doing wrong, but it ain't that tough to set and forget.

Besides, maybe more of an "ethos thing" but beyond initial data I don't need a chrono.
It depends on what type of shooting you're doing. At <1k yards, that's correct. Most of my shooting is ELR at 1 mile+. I run the Labradar every time I go out because 20 fps starts to make a difference.

Once I know what a good SD is supposed to look like, the targets can tell me if my SD is holding up
At 100, SD is immaterial. In the 600-1k arena, depending on the cartridge, conditions, and rifle, it you can sometimes tell if your ammo is not behaving by group. At 2k how do you know whether it's you, the environment, or the rounds? At more than that, I want every bit of info I can get, because any variance in anything is important. So, unless I'm in tough conditions or a difficult shooting position, I set up the LR to take one of the variables out of the equation.

Reactions: spife7980
Guys, I'm not trying to argue with anyone, if you like the Labradar and it works for you, great.

Yeah, the Prochrono DLX has its drawbacks, it's also ~$150 lol.

Hopefully the newer radar chrony's coming out put some pressure on them to innovate a bit. It could definitely use a v2.
The one that Frank showed somewhere here on the Hide (I can't remember the brand - was international, I believe) looked really interesting. Basically, cylindrical and looked to be about the size of a Redbull can. He showed it set up on a small tripod near the barrel.

At 100, SD is immaterial. In the 600-1k arena, depending on the cartridge, conditions, and rifle, it you can sometimes tell if your ammo is not behaving by group.

I take issue with this ^^^

I don't agree ...and who said anything about 100 anything? I didn't.

I don't care what my groups look like, at any range, until after I know what my gun is doing.

Half the time I shoot my chrono rounds into the berm, straight into the dirt.

The chronograph is there to measure my reloading skill more so than anything else. The consistency and repeatability of my ammo round-to-round is what I care about.

The way I look at it, the ES/SD numbers are just my grades on the test, then I go shoot. I can tell whether my ammo is behaving or not just fine, from 100 out to 1250 yards (that's typically as far as I shoot). Generally, my guns stay ~1/2moa laser beams of death out to 1250 yards. I pull the chrono out again if I perceive an MV-related issue and it's needed, but otherwise, it stays stowed.

I take issue with this ^^^

I don't agree ...and who said anything about 100 anything? I didn't.
Jeez dude, take a chill pill. I was mentioning all the regimes. 100 yards is one of them.

Have a nice day.

Jeez dude, take a chill pill. I was mentioning all the regimes. 100 yards is one of them.

Have a nice day.

I wasn't jumping all over you, sorry if it seemed that way.

It's just that what you said about the correlation between distance and standard deviation made no sense... SD's relate to one's "cone of fire" only, there's no real reason to chrono every round unless one has a magic chrono that tells the future.

I have both the Magneto Speed V3 and Sporter. The Sporter falls within your budget but you may get a used V3 for a reasonable price. One big difference between the two is the Sporter is only for muzzle breaks less than 2.7" and the V3 accommodates breaks up to 3" in length. I found that both chronos reported similar results however, the V3 has more features. Would recommend the V3 if budget improves if not, the Sporter will work fine.

The one that Frank showed somewhere here on the Hide (I can't remember the brand - was international, I believe) looked really interesting. Basically, cylindrical and looked to be about the size of a Redbull can. He showed it set up on a small tripod near the barrel.
Yeah, that's the Bulletseeker. It's $900. The Andiscan is 800 Euros. Neither appears to be in stock.

Not exactly putting pressure on Labradar to be better when they are already the default "high end" chrono, and these are both way more money and unavailable. It's a bummer. :-/

Not exactly putting pressure on Labradar to be better when they are already the default "high end" chrono, and these are both way more money and unavailable. It's a bummer. :-/

Yeah - the LR was the first of its kind and somewhat game changing, but with some relatively easy changes, it could be better. They should remove the screen and most of the controls, along with the AA battery compartment. Both are superfluous with lithium batteries and a mobile app. Keep a simple display to provide quick access to the previous shot, but that's it. This would result in a much smaller footprint and provide all the necessary controls in a user interface that's at the pinnacle of human interface design (mobile devices) rather than a few pushbuttons and a small, low-fidelity screen.

This would have a side effect of lowering cost as well.

I wasn't jumping all over you, sorry if it seemed that way.

It's just that what you said about the correlation between distance and standard deviation made no sense... SD's relate to one's "cone of fire" only, there's no real reason to chrono every round unless one has a magic chrono that tells the future.
The issue is that cone really isn't a cone, it's more akin to a bell of a brass instrument. The farther out you go, the more it "bells" out.

About a month ago, I was shooting my 37XC:

1675053300818.png

It was not a good day from the get go. My rangefinder wasn't even close to picking up the target. I had to walk about 600 yards out before I could get a reading. I then turned and got a reading off my Jeep. The problem was, I was walking downhill, and the target was up. So, I didn't have a linear distance - it was a shallow triangle. I had to make an educated guess and came up with 2400 yards. I took GPS readings from my Jeep's built-in when I picked up the target and calculated the distance when I got home. It was actually 2504.

That was variable #1 - and my next investment is likely a Garmin handheld.

The terrain is quite hilly and the wind, while relatively light, was shifting direction constantly.

That was variable #2.

I expect about a 5-6 SD with this load in this rifle. It was not that and I had a ~30 FPS ES

That was (unexpected) variable #3.

The first shots were painful. Just spotting them was difficult. But then, once I got on target, it was hell keeping consistent. I'd drop one low, adjust, then go high, adjust, not spot the next one, etc. What was causing these misses? Was it the bell effect? Was it the wind shifting to more head-on vs. side? Was it me not managing recoil consistently?

Without understanding what is causing the variations, you're just guessing. By checking the velocity each shot, that eliminates one of the variables. Without the chrono on each shot, I would have been chasing misses all day long. At like $4-$5/shot, I'm not too keen on doing that.

By contrast, last weekend I was shooting it at 1900 yards. Aside from the fact that the backstop was wet, clay-like dirt that just ate misses, the consistency was there - and 1900 with the 37XC is very different than 2500. I'm still learning the rifle and round, but it was clear that at this range it hadn't hit the bigger part of the bell yet, while (ammo issues aside) at 2500 it at least was starting to.

With the 2500 yard shots, once I got on target, the first variable (unknown exact distance) was eliminated. Wind is always there and variability can at least be somewhat reduced by anticipating it correctly. The variability due to ammo deficiency can only be somewhat overcome by looking at previous rounds.