• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best value for a benchrest/reference scope?

pangris

Private
Minuteman
  • Feb 25, 2006
    I'm looking for a scope I can throw on various rifles for checking potential accuracy, how they like a load etc.

Available on the market today - is there a better deal going than the above SWFA for a 16-25X capable scope?

I'd guess by what I used to know that is the point of diminishing returns for a basic bench scope but I'm open to suggestions

Last edited:
    I have a old Leupold VX3i 6.5 -20 fine plex that i use, it's the efr? That you can focus real close for a 22.
    Anyway not sure what you are asking.
    Think Leupold named the new line VX-3, just a basic scope ,without all the tactical crap the people on the Hide has to have for it to be serviceable.

Apologies for not being more clear.

I'm not using it for anything other than academic range duty - testing how any given rifle works with any given load at 100 or 200.

I'm looking for a scope I can throw on various rifles for checking potential accuracy, how they like a load etc.

Available on the market today - is there a better deal going than the above SWFA for a 16-25X capable scope?

I'd guess by what I used to know that is the point of diminishing returns for a basic bench scope but I'm open to suggestions

Yeah a used SWFA they pop up for ~200 ever now and then. 12x, 16x, 20x, etc.

There isn't a SFP benchrest scope on the entire market better than the Athlon ETR or Heras 15-60x56 as far as bang for the buck in this genre of target scope . These are true jewels to look through and I'm not exaggerating.

Reactions: ozarak
    SWFA fixed power. I have a 20x sitting just for eliminating possible scope issues when something is not right. Awful glass, awful eye box. Solid and reliable.

Reactions: Maddog51 and BCP
    I appreciate the input - I ordered the SWFA 20X as I can live with awful glass, awful eyebox as long as it is reliable.

Who knows, once I get my data on the stuff I'm curious about maybe it will be for sale for here 🤷‍♂️