• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best value in all around aftermarket ar15 trigger

texasplinker

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Kentucky Bluegrass
I am looking for an upgrade for my "16 ar15 trigger. I am interested in an all purpose trigger that is lighter, crisper and smoother than the standard milspec I have in there now. Primary uses: 3 gun and hunting.

I am interested in a good value trigger that gets me the features I am interested in with spending a fortune if possible.

Glad to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Re: best value in all around aftermarket ar15 trigger

The buck stops here.

Geissele.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pedro23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The buck stops here.

Geissele. </div></div>

Yep. Do this and don't look back

Geissle first choice. Jewel runs a close second(easy install,easier adjustment and not as expensive as the Geissle)

Thanks.
The SSA and sd-c look interesting. As does the s3g, though some have said the reset may be a bit short for all around use. Specific thoughts or recommendations?

I don't have an SSA to compare to, but have the SSA-E. It's very nice if you like two stage triggers. Very light, and it's non-adjustable so not much to mess up. If you decide to go with a Geissele look here for group buys.

Geissele Have on my LWRC MA3 sweet!

Your requirements of 3 gun and hunting = Geissele S3G

Since your post is in a precision orientated forum, I'll assume your not just looking for a modest improvement in feel from say a standard crappy mil spec type single stage trigger. Rather your buying this trigger to actually see real world gains in accuracy/precision. If this is true, and you want to make absolute certain that when you do spend your money on this future trigger it will last your entire lifetime....your options are limited to Geissele's uber reliable, and highly refined 2stage offerings. Specifically the following triggers:

I'm ranking my opinion in order from best to less best...

1. SD-E $220
2. SSA-E $220
3. SD-C $200
4. SSA $170
5. GSSA or formally known as the S2S $125

(give or take $10 on the listed prices above)

Besides all the GA trigger models, I've owned and used 3 KAC 2stage triggers, 2 LMT 2stage triggers, ALG Defense's ACT, and then various stock triggers that have come with rifles I've bought.

My list only includes triggers that have proven themselves to be truly reliable in hard use environments, and with high round counts on them. Please note however that older <span style="font-weight: bold">KAC triggers</span> have had significant problems, many of which surfaced in combat conditions in SR-25 rifles. Over the last cpl. of years they seem to have had the problems worked out of them, and have a really nice feeling pull that to my naked touch feels almost exactly like SSAs/GSSAs do.

DSC00215-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">LMT 2stage triggers </span>really don't allow you to have that pinpoint control over breaking a shot, and overall it's just not a refined unit like a true precision trigger should be. That said, they are built to last a lifetime, and generally speaking are significantly more useful than a crappy single stage stock AR trigger.

DSC03304-1_zpsa3495971.jpg

So that brings us to the <span style="font-weight: bold">Geissele triggers</span>....

Once you buy one, it's no bullsh*t for life. These triggers don't break in, and will maintain their initial trigger pull feel for their lifetime's. In the unlikely event one does goes bad or has a flaw, their backed by imho unbeatable CS.

The money you spend will actually yield dramatic results whether by the narcotic like effect you feel every time you pull it, or by the actual measured gains in accuracy/precision. So many things you buy to add on an AR these days are mind pondering to say the least....most of them never yield benefits that can be easily felt or measured. With a SD-E or SSA-E trigger, you'll know instantly where your $220 went. An awesome feeling trigger is the gift that keeps on giving in my book.

They're flat out precision triggers, have amazing feeling pulls, and are boringly predictable in their staging, and second stage wall/break. Those two are so far above the other options in my eyes that it's really hard for me to recommend anything else.

25z5phu.jpg

*** The SD-3G is a whole different animal...and in terms of feel, it will no doubt blow you away, that said it's not a practical trigger in the least. It's for gaming, as opposed to SD/HD or hunting purposes.

I recently swapped out an old mil-spec trigger to an SSA-E that I bought here on a group buy, and it's a night and day difference. It's all around a better trigger, and breaks nicely.

Check around, you can often find these on sale, or on a group buy. Palmetto State Armory has the SSA-E on sale very often, for $199 shipped.

I am going to dissent here...I've never been in favor of a two stage trigger for 3 gun or any type of hurry up shooting...just personal preference...nothing against all the Geissele love here...they just don't make a single stage trigger (or didn't last time I checked).
JPE for me. On the other hand...there are people whom I trust with my life who swear by SSA. Odd man out once again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: southpaw68</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am going to dissent here...I've never been in favor of a two stage trigger for 3 gun or any type of hurry up shooting...just personal preference...nothing against all the Geissele love here...they just don't make a single stage trigger (or didn't last time I checked).
JPE for me. On the other hand...there are people whom I trust with my life who swear by SSA. Odd man out once again. </div></div>

You need to check out the Geissele S3G

Good comments all! Thank you! Keep em coming.

It sounds like I need two or three more rifles just to drop triggers in.
smile.gif

Any word on upcoming group buys? Or killer holiday sales?

I just put an ALG combat trigger in my S&W and it is a big improvement.

* * * Geissele * * *

I run SSAs on my two. Did not see, or in this case "feel", the need to run anything else. There are many models to choose from that may fit your requirements a little better. I have never needed Geissele CS, but have read posts there is none finer and "no question replacement". When this man puts his name on a product, he stands behind it.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRP173</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your requirements of 3 gun and hunting = Geissele S3G </div></div>
Agree...but he said value. I run a SD3G and a DMR in my precision rig. IMO they can't be beat.
For a value trigger maybe a RRA, they may wear a little faster but for $95 it's not a bad trigger.

I say value for the money would be a good old Chip McCormick. They are great single stage triggers for a lot less than a similar drop in from Timney. The "best" overall trigger in my opinion is the AR Gold. After shooting an AR Gold, I will never buy anything else.

As you can see, I'm a single stage guy, but the Geissele offerings are the shit when it comes to two stage.

FWIW, I have shot the S3G, National Match, SSA-E, Jard adjstubale, Timney, POF, Chip McCormick, KAC, Rock River NM, and reworked factory triggers.

Based on opinions here and what my buddy's are using I am ordering the SSA. Thanks for everyones input.

Short of dropping the coin for one of the many Geissele options, IMO the best "bang for the buck" trigger is one worked by Bill Springfield. Just ship him the one from your rifle and a check for something like $40-65 and let him work his magic.

http://triggerwork.net/

The ALG trigger is better than the Springfield. Feels cleaner and crisper.

I had three Springfield triggers in the early 2000's. Two had issues- One would fire after releasing the trigger after the shot... The other got really gritty after a few hundred rounds. Basically got into the non-hardened metal. He replaced one, the second I didn't even ask. I didn't want an unreliable trigger. Bill S is a good guy but there are better options out now. ALG is made by Geissele.

BEST VALUE is a RRA 2 stage match trigger. Have heard some stories that they "go away" after a certain round count but mine never have. I also like the Gieselle SSA-E. They cost twice as much as the RRA and feel exactly the same!

Geisselle SSA-E is my favorite followed by RRA 2 stage. For blasters I like a tuned mil spec trigger Geisselle sells one for 40$.

If you go with the geisslelle 3 gun trigger try before you buy. It felt funky to me.

Have heard of RRA 2 stages going bad after 3-4k rounds, I have one with that round count on it and it is starting to feel a bit mushy...so might be true...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texasplinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">out of curiosity, how does one pronounce Geissele? </div></div>

I think it is supposed to be Guy-issle but I always pronounce it Ji-zell because it sounds cooler.

Bill Springfield tunes your AR trigger. He's done 4 of mine and I very happy with them. About $60.00 and his turnaround is quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill Springfield tunes your AR trigger. He's done 4 of mine and I very happy with them. About $60.00 and his turnaround is quick. </div></div>
I will second that, had Bills triggers in my rifle for several years cannot complain about them whatsoever

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texasplinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">out of curiosity, how does one pronounce Geissele? </div></div>

Guys-lee

We just picked up a few triggers from SMI to try out and I just put one in a customer's rifle that I'll be completing and Finishing on friday (waiting for buffer tubes).

It is a single stage accurate and consistent 3.5# pull and the design is very well thought out. Only uses one J-spring on the hammer, while the trigger has a recess machined on the bottom that fits a spring which keeps it very consistent. Comes with a threaded adjustment dowel that lets you take up 99% of the slack before having it break.

This trigger is ALMOST as good as my old school TUNED Rem 700 triggers which is saying something. If you concentrate really hard, you can still feel the slightest creep before it breaks but it still feels great. For the price range it is definitely a great value. Only time will tell how it holds up but from the design and quality parts, I don't see it changing at all over a few thousand rounds.

http://www.hellscanyonarmory.com/index.p...ger-system.html

Mike

Let me start by saying I am a bigtime trigger snob. I was fortunate enough to try almost all of the popular triggers side by side at Rainier Arms. I have to say Geiselle is tops in my book for AR triggers. Each one is completely different from the next, great quality, and they have the largest selection of variants. Their 3gun is unmatched and stands out among any other AR trigger in my opinion --you'd have to feel it to understand. Wilson makes a nice one too, but the Geissele trigger is damn near full auto if you are quick enough (or hold the rifle with a weak grip) has nearly zero take-up or over-travel, it feels more like pushing a button on a new DVD player than pulling a trigger. Shooting accurately, smoothly, precision shots, that can be a bit more difficult in my opinion using the 3gSD I have because the pull is so damn short. But you can get used to it. If I were to use it for hunting AND 3gun, I'd look at a regular two stage. They say the 3G is a two stage, but you won't be able to tell, I can't anyway.

The best trigger of them all, in my opinion, has to be the Geissele Hi-Speed. They list three of them, but the one I got had all three variants (or rather, the spring kits to change one to the other). It is also tuneable. You can get this trigger to do exactly what you want it to do, it has a lot of material cut out of it so it is lighter. While I can't get actual numbers, I'm under the impression that the Hi-Speed has the fastest lock time of any AR trigger with (I think) the AR Gold being almost as fast. The only drawback to this trigger is that it has very small set screws used to tune it. If this rifle is going to be dragged through mud and abused, I'd shy from parts that can come loose and get lost, especially those. In that case, maybe the SSA or some such would be better. But for pure performance, the Hi-Speed is it. Pay once, cry once, isn't it?

I don't own any Wilson triggers, but I've tried 'em. For the price and compared to Geissele, I just don't think they are worth it. But they are damn fine and may be someone else's favorite the way the Geissele is to me.

Now the best value has to be the RRA 2 stage. They don't always come ready to go out of the box though. Sometimes they will feel like one stage triggers and rough, but a VERY TINY bit of stoning will fix that and yield two perfect stages. If you want one that works perfect out of the box every time, get the Geissele. If you have a small Arkansas stone, you can make the RRA 2 stage just about as good as a couple of the Geissele triggers. Nice light first stage, small increase in resistance, then it breaks with nearly no over-travel.

As to the problems with RRA's failing, that pin can be replaced with a drill rod the width of the receiver and that fixes that. But in twelve years of use in a few different rifles, I haven't had any problems. It is my favorite all around budget 2 stage trigger.

The absolute cheapest decent trigger is to stone a mil spec trigger group; DPMS makes a decent cheap one I think. I can get 'em down to 4lbs., 4.5, but never been able to get one reliably lower without changing angles and specs. I like safe rifles and I know my limitations, so I don't get crazy or experiment. I only smooth out the connecting surfaces to a mirror polish. You'll notice mil spec triggers are basically cut and left that way. Cheaper ones (Oly) are made different and parkerized, so this won't work on them.

The good thing about Geissele is that you don't need to do anything to it. But for the price, you shouldn't need to.

X-treme shooting products. I have a Gisele but the X-Treme trigger has a crisper pull, and is wire EDM cut, not cast.

Agree with much that was said above. For bench, prone or any long range accuracy then the 2 stage SSA-E or SD-E are the best of the bunch. The SSA is good but heavier in the stages. The only difference is the SSA-E and SD-E is the flat trigger profile so whatever your finger likes. I have had them both and like them both but settle pretty much for the SSA-E for this type of shooting.

For fast 3gun then the 3G and DMR are the best. They both have ultra-fast and short resets for fast shooting. I have heard excellent things about the Wilson Combat triggers butr have not had an opportunity to use one. I did have a couple of Timneys and they are nice and crisp single stage triggers and a good value for the money. But the Geiselle is my huckleberry no doubt. IMHO an aftemarket trigger is the BEST money spent on an AR platform rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quietbullet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone know if any after market triggers for FN SCAR?</div></div>
Geissele makes triggers for SCAR and other popular weapon systems. Check their website. Be forewarned, SCAR triggers are higher than AR15/M16 trigger sets.

Kevin

I installed a JP Enterprises in mine if you don't need a drop in. Very happy with it and only $110. My .02

Another vote for Geissele. For an all purpose i'd go with an SSA.

I've had the Geissele SSA and SSA-E, and I've never had even one complaint about either. Absolutely Love them.

Yet another Geissele SSA vote here.

All my AR15 have JP triggers... and I have tried many including LMT, Giessle, Timney

Best bang for the buck i think is either the rra or lmt two stage. Ive found them online for around 90 bucks.

ALG seems more in line with the OP's question----I believe Giess. machines them---best for budget

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">his wife is also doing a "mil-spec" version that is under another name </div></div>

ALG Defense
1920 w. Marshall Street Suite b
Norristown, Pa 19403

Geissele Automatics
1920 W. Marshall Street
Norristown, PA 19403

The ACT + JP yellow springs is very nice for ~$70

Another vote for Geissele trigger have one in my AR 10 and it is by far the best trigger I have used

Another vote for the Geissele. Had one for a week now and love it. It's pretty comparable to my fathers RRA 2-stage, but just a little bit better break. Super predictable

For a budget trigger, RRA NM 2 stage. For a nicer trigger, SSA-E.

Another one for JP Ent. 3- Adjustments, I got the whole standard set up w/ speed hammer (It also includes 2 sizes of hammer springs.) about 3.5# with red/yellow springs. All under $100.

Now new information. I have put Geissele's in more than one of my guns.

But on a budget I agree with Bill Springfield option. Very reasonable, great service.

JB