• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best value rings, mounts, etc. ?

Swan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
San Diego, CA
Decided on Remington 700 sps tactical .308 and the Millett TRS 4-16x50.
What about the best value rings and mounts, and any other recommendations? This is for mostly target shooting, for now. Maybe some future training courses as well.

Re: Best value rings, mounts, etc. ?

Use the 'search' function. Set the date range to 'newer than one year'. Keywords should be the oh-so-novel 'best mounts, best rings'. Start reading.

Swan, I dont know whats the going "best deal" for bases, but I do know that I have 4 rifles with burris extreme rings on them, and have used them for over two years with zero problems.
For the cost, they are some great rings!

+1 on the XTR rings. They're very stout and a good bargain. Mate 'em up with the EGW base for a very good and economical setup.

Cheers... Jim

My vote goes for TPS Base and rings. About $125 for both base and rings. My experience with EGW is rather poor. I had a base that had significant gaps between the base and the reciever. Granted bedding the base would have fixed it but I felt much better by getting a TPS base that fit nice and tight. I think the Burris XTR rings are rather poor as well. When I torqued the crossbolt nuts they just kept turning until they stuck out a 1/4" to 1/2" before they torqued properly (45 in/lbs). Apparently the bolts kept drifting until it bottomed out on the opposite end. It worked but really looked out of place. I never had issues with TPS stuff. Good budget gear. Seekins is gtg as well but is more expensive than TPS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I torqued the crossbolt nuts they just kept turning until they stuck out a 1/4" to 1/2" before they torqued properly (45 in/lbs).</div></div>

The torqued specs for the Burris XTR rings is 65 in/lbs to 100 in/lbs which is more than most other rings. I have torqued them to the max with no problems. I mount them all the time and never have any problems out of them. They are very durable oversize rings that put less stress on the scope because of their wider clamping surface area. I have them on all of my rifles. They are excellent for the price.

The EGW mount and XTR rings are an excellent lower cost setup.

GC

Burris rings are much cheaper than other tactical rings, and the anodized finish does not look as good under a magnifying glass, but all the function is there.

Are you buying jewelry for your ego, or tools for your tasks?

I ran a EGW base with Burris tactical rings and was real happy with them. I have since upgraded to Seekins rings mainly cause I upgraded optics so did the rings at the same time.

The Burris are probably the best bang for the buck and will treat 99% of the people using them well.

Value...I LOVE Warne QD Rings. They are made of steel, are affordable, and allow you to use the same scope on different rifles without stripping the threads.

Blow a good chunch of change...Leupold Mark 4 Rings.

Blow all your money and then some...Badger Ordnance.

I think I am gonna go with the Burris XTR rings and probably EGW base. Trying to keep the whole project as economical as possible without losing quality... although Seekins rings/mounts are a possibility.

Anyway what height rings do I need for the Rem700 sps tac and Millett 4-16x50?

The search function is a great tool. That being said Burris xtr rings and an EGW base have worked great for me in the past.