• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best varmint rifle from factory?

long range newbie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2013
Oregon
I want a good varmint/ predator rifle that gets at least 3/4in groups at 100 yards. I want it to have 20-26in bbl with 1:8-9 twist (maybe even 10) I would like it to have a decent stock and be able to upgrade it later on. I also would like to keep it in the 1200 and below but I can go a little higher. Please post pics. (I want the caliber to be 223 rem)

I would get a Savage 10 Predator. I am very happy with all of my Savage rifles and all of them group under an inch @ 100yds. You figue around 600-700 for the rifle and that leaves you enough for a good scope and base.

I would offer.. best is subjective. Do you want a heavy rifle to call things in or a walking rifle?
What is the intended purpose/ bullet weight you wish to shoot?
I have a rem 700 xcr compact tactical in 223 with 1x9 twist. I shoot 53, 68, and 75 gr only. The 75 hornady bthp wrks well. Other 75 do not. I would look for a 1x8 twist. I also have plain sporter rifles in223 aswell as had a 223 that was a custom built pig( like 16 lbs before scope) which was just not want I wanted to use..
Based on budget . I would hold out for black friday at dicks.
get a rem 700 adl or bdl varmint ( after rebates the past couple of yrs they are under 375 new. ) in 223 they are 24 or 26 but that goives you the option for a cut/proper crown
pick a stock you like.. HS , bell and carlson , used or new about 250 try a used 5r or standard varmint styles, maybe a band c m40
ditch the xmark trigger.. add a timney(100) or watch for a tuned older pre xmark 700 trigger( 40-50) or a rem 40 x trigger(60+)
Buy Ptg bottom metal to upgrade to bdl style( 80-120) They are made well and you can reuse the adl spring/box etc with them, just have to trim mag box and remove the tab from action... to keep it freemoving between bottom metal and action.
get a harris bipod... used around 50-65 on ebay
buy a few brands of ammo... for factory cheap I run hornady as I like the brass to reload. They also make 223 in about any flavor you could want.

I wont suggest tactical rated items as this is a varmint rifle.. but would suggest warne base and rings, talley or leupold style for this rifle( under 60 and they are good)
optics are up to you, if it were me I would be looking at something along the lines of bushnell elite, nikon buckmaster, to stick to budget

Other option could be a used older rem 700 VLS if you can find one.. already had bdl metal, hs stocks, and good triggers
Good Luck

So far you have the best info, and I think I can hold out till black friday. I have about 150 hornady brass, got dies, but I would like to shoot 55gr vmax to around 70gr bullets. I also have plenty of harris bipods, got a milling machine and I've inlet a dbm before on a hs stock, they have a stock at my sporting good store too. My dad has said good stuff about warne rings and bases. I intend to use the rifle as a medium weight rifle for yotes and sage rats like in the 8-11lb range. My sporting goods store has the rem 700s with fluted barrel stainless steel and cheep plastic varmint stock, but they have like 1:12 twist.

Remington 700 Varmint, Varmint SF, and the VTR are really nice and accurate out of the box, especially in 22-250.

If I could find a tikka t3 varmint.... I'd get one but they are like finding a needle in a haystack. I don't even think they import them anymore to the us? correct me if I'm wrong.

Rem 700 is the gold standard, but take your time. Surf the auction sites and you'll find thousands of second-hand 700's tricked out just the way you want it.

And why 223? Maybe consider a caliber with longer legs. Check out MarshRat's 22-250.

Last edited:
well never really shoot 200yards plus its dense brush here and I can always take out the 260 or something bigger if I need more umph for the wind or distance. I might consider another caliber

Every Savage I had/have will out shoot any Remington I ever had / have out of the box. Get on their site and look at the gunfinder section, sort by features you want, and pick one.

Just to throw one more option at you, check out the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard. Mine more than meets your accuracy requirements and is well within your budget.

I've got a Savage 12 LRPV Left Port. I like it a lot.
Comes with a HS Precision fiberglass stock.
Target accutrigger. I'm at 10oz but can go down to 6oz.
Single shot but left port option helps keep things moving along.
1/7 or 1/9. Mines 1/9 but was the only option when I got it. 69gr stabilizes very well.
New ones may be slightly lighter as the barrels are now fluted and may be a slightly different contour.
It's almost 14lbs ready to go so it may be heavier than you would like.
Solid 3/4 min or better.

I have shot another Savage 12 Varmenter Low Profile in .204 (available in .223 1/7 or 1/9)
Laminated stock, I liked.
Detachable box magazine.
Lighter than the LRPV by 1lb.
Standard accutrigger.
Seemed to be slightly more accurate than my LRPV but could be my bud just knows how to load for his rifle.
Shooting his made me want something in .204. Light recoiling, flat shooting, easy to shoot.

Any Savage with an Accustock will need replacing. That stock is terrible.

Last edited:
How long will it remain stock? I don't know many guys (especially on this site) who can leave anything stock for long. If you can admit your eventually going to mod it then decide how much and how far. If you think you will end up with nothing left stock other than the action...and don't like to do the work yourself then consider the Remington or Tika. If your a tinkerer and like to start and stop your mods as funds permit then definately Savage. They are the barbie dolls of bolt rifles like the AR is the barbie doll of semi autos. Mix and match parts and simple to do on your own. You can start with any Savage 10-12 and go up from there. Lots of excellent pre-fit barrels, bolts, bolt knobs, stocks, chassis... you name it.

For Coyotin walkin and stalkin I use an AR. For sittin and long range whackin I use this. Savage 12, McGowen 22-250 1:8 twist barrel, XLR Chassis. 1K yards...no problemo.

image_zps0c9d1054.jpg

got a 204 ruger rifle already with 26in bbl but want another rifle to call "my own" and I've never owned a savage center fire but I have a couple rimfires and they are amazingly accurate at 100 yards.

saw this when you first posted it and I got to say that thing is a keeper ;) . One day I'll have to give a savage rifle a try. Its hard for me not to get carried away with rifles but sometimes I wish I would of kept them stock just for a little longer. I want to build a custom 223 but don't want to spend the money.

When buying a varmint rifle, it is a good idea to buy new, or calculate the price you'll pay for a used rifle by assuming you'll need a new barrel. I know there are a lot of guys selling off their once in a life-time >1/4MOA rifle with less than 50 rounds down the tube because they want to fund their next "build", or they need the money because their wife needs breast implants, etc. But in real life, varmint rifles get fired a lot, and usually with fairly hot rounds. Don't forget the time-to get barrel, time for smith to fit barrel. Savage has a decided advantage in this dept., as you can put a new tube on your self.

When buying a varmint rifle, it is a good idea to buy new, or calculate the price you'll pay for a used rifle by assuming you'll need a new barrel. I know there are a lot of guys selling off their once in a life-time >1/4MOA rifle with less than 50 rounds down the tube because they want to fund their next "build", or they need the money because their wife needs breast implants, etc. But in real life, varmint rifles get fired a lot, and usually with fairly hot rounds. Don't forget the time-to get barrel, time for smith to fit barrel. Savage has a decided advantage in this dept., as you can put a new tube on your self.

Yup, they get hot, a lot.

the good thing is my barrel smith doesn't take long to make and chamber/ fit the barrel to my action (about 1week)

Last edited:
I have a 24" heavy barreled ar that I use for shooting squeaks in the southern part of the state. I snapped it together myself. I can confidently hit rats at three hundred with 40 gr v max's and 26.5 gr of H335. I put a new scope on it last week and at the range hit six out of nine in a one inch circle (actually nine one inch circles per LL's suggestion of multiple targets rather than a group) at two hundred. Not counting glass I have about a thousand into it.

I've never really used and ar I've literally only shot 5 shots out of an ar in my whole life, and they were all suppressed with an acog. or if you count a nemo arms watchman then 10. I've never even owned one :(

Last edited:
The most accurate factory varmint rifle I've ever owned was a Cooper M21. It shot consistent .3" 5 shot groups at 100Y. Buy used to get a good deal on one within your budget.

I bought my upper through model 1 sales. It has a 24 inch ss e r shaw barrel in a 1/8. it was cheap and shoots really well. You might consider just getting an upper like that for now and putting it on your lower. If you have a decent trigger (mine is an RRA single stage), you could just buy an upper and decent glass. I really love mine. If you are like me you will want a complete rifle but lowers are becoming available again.

The most accurate factory varmint rifle I've ever owned was a Cooper M21. It shot consistent .3" 5 shot groups at 100Y. Buy used to get a good deal on one within your budget.

Models 21 and 22 are turning out to be a bargain, even new at 1800. I was just shooting with a guy even older than me, 12rds in 5" at 500. He was doing well I must say. Model 22 in 6br.

Sorry, I misunderstood, thought you said you had one, had only shot it a few times. Also sorry you don't own one. Maybe you could solve both issues (not owning one, needing an accurate varmint rifle) in one fell swoop. The problem may be that once you have one you may need another, then another, then..........The first on I snapped together is a 16" that I like for three gun but I bought two lowers and couldn't have an unbuilt rifle. I also needed a varmint gun so I had a friend that is very knowledgable help me determine what I needed for an inexpensive kit. Once I tuned that 40 gr round for the rifle I was in business. My first group through it, sighting it in was six shots at a hundred that I could cover with a dime, and that was with a redfield revolution hunting scope. Just put a 3.5X10 siii sightron on it and, well, damn. Anyway, just a thought, good luck whatever way you go, shooting rats is so fun it should be illegal. Just as an afterthought, watching them practically explode at three hundredish yards, hide going one way, parts going others, well yeah, you need an accurate varmint gun.

Fn spr? Tactical coordination has me at 1200 or so if you want that type. Savage 12 varmint line is quite nice. I'd probably start there. I'd skip the Remington's.

Last edited:
I want a 223 AI was wondering if it'd work with standard tikka barrel without having to cut down? I got a smith but will it work?

I know there are a lot of guys selling off their once in a life-time >1/4MOA rifle with less than 50 rounds down the tube because they want to fund their next "build"

Uh...yah that's me. I have what's called "tactical OCD". It's really bad. I have a driving need to build rifles. Each one has to be unique and different. I have OCD BAD so it also has to be perfect. My safe is like a Hilton for rifles. They never stay long but all the guests are high end and cool. It also has a Spa where they all get custom Cerakote treatment before checking out. LOL Rarely do many of them even get fired more than 20 round function test before checking out. That's what happens when your mental and don't have the money to keep them all. :D

So always look to buy rifles from guys like me, the proverbial car from the ole lady who only drove it to church. There are lots of us on the hide. :cool:

As for AR's they make a killer all around Yote rifle if configured right. Mine is a Seekins Precision billet with an 18" Wilson Combat in 5.56 and Giessele SSA-E trigger. It's a sub MOA rifle out to 500 yards with 77SMK's. I always single load my first bullet with an 80g Hornady A-Max then load the 5 round mag with SMK's for Coyotes. I have hit 18" steel targets with my Amax round at 1,000. It fly's at 2850 only 350 FPS slower than my 22-250 round with the same bullet. Never doubt the effectiveness of a good AR for varmint hunting.

I agree with Sporter. Coopers are very accurate rifles, I recently sold a 22PPC Model 21 that shot 3-shot groups in the ones. I would also add Dakota to that group.

CZ 527 Varmint. All the CZ's I own drive tacks no matter what and they are a beautiful gun.

Sent from GS3 Synergy

Varmints:
For Walking - Tikka T3 Lite or an AR

For Calling - Tikka T3 Varmint or Sporter, Savage 12, ect.

I know if I were to get a system set up for walking/varminting, I'd probably get an AR in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC... I love how they shoot in the first 500

Does anyone make ARs in .204 ruger by any chance? that would be a little beast...

I am picking up a Mossberg MVP Predator on Saturday. Not sure how it will shoot as I don't know anyone that has one but I guess I will find out. Has a 20" barrel and is chambered in 5.56 NATO (223 rem).

I guess the MVPs are supposedly a one trick pony, seen one guy out on the range with one, and it kinda flew the shots everywhere once it got to about 300... could be just his, but I've always heard it's a MOA or worse rifle

I have read several reviews and they range from great to average. Thought I would pick one up and see for myself.

my dad actually owns one and I must say they are phenomenal for the price I get .5 groups consistently and I killed a squirrel who was taunting me around my target >:) and It likes to shoot heavies surprisingly it shot from 70-80gr pretty well, but the 55gr vmax moly the best. Only thing I don't like is in ar mags you can only run really short bullets you can't touch the lands without needing to single feed bullets. I say it shoots all shots connected or in 1 hole (5 shots) My dad has the one with vertical grip and its very well balanced and preforms well. One downside is it tends to make the bullets jump out of the mag and so depending on length of bullet you have to feed them slow. Or even they will completely jump out of the action (mostly my fault) So I rate it a 8.5-9 out of 10. I would like it to have AI mags but I don't think they'll work. So I say best bang for your buck 223. I just would like to try something like a tikka.

P.S the squirrels rear end was only found with its hind legs and tail, and its intestine hanging out. I guess the 55gr? sierras worked very well.

Last edited:
I have the MVP and mine was shooting good but not what I thought it could do. Then I found a deal on a Jard 36oz trigger and now it shoots great. It will easily shoot sub moa if I do my part. The only thing I dont like is the way the rounds jump out of the mag. And I haven't noticed a big difference in shots after the barrel heats up. I like the fact that it's light and easy to carry around. I have the redfield battle zone moa scope on mine and love it.

I go after prairie dogs with both a .22-250 and a .223 Rem. The .22-250 is a Savage Model 12. Will shoot about 3/4 MOA. The .223 is an Underground Skunkworks w/ Rock Creek barrel and Manners stock w/ mini-chassis. As good as the Savage shoots, the .223 is more precise, especially as distance increases.

However, I score more hits with the .22-250. It's pushing a 52 grain HPBT at over 3,600 ft/sec. The .223 is shooting a 77 grain HPBT much slower (haven't chrono'd it). I don't have a range finder good enough to range prairie dogs at distance. Most of my shots are in the 150 - 500 yard range. Being off on my range estimation is less critical with the Savage than it is with the .223.

My point: .223 Rem is a good choice, but consider also the .22-250.

Also have a Remington 700 VSF in 308. It and the Savage are both sub MOA rifles (procured Remington before Freedom Group bought it). Don't have any experience w/ Tikka, Sako, or CZ varmint rifles.

I have a 22 250 and spent more time developing a good load than I did actually shooting it. If it were me i would have a 223 and 308 for my base guns.

Sent from GS3 Synergy

Yeah but they're like 2300 and I could get a tikka and deck it out for that price. (tikka t3 varmint 820, base 80, bolt shroud/handle kit 130, 750 for chassis, 40 for warne rings, and ~400 for decent scope). all adds up to 2220

My plan for a 223 was to get either Tikka Lite or Tikka Tactical. The lite because it is cheap as hell in comparison to the other Tikka's and the plan was to upgrade the barrel and true the action and threads and drop it into a KRG. What I've READ is that all Tikka's come out of the box with great accuracy. Tikka Tactical was if I had more money and wanted to keep it stock for a lonnngg time. It came with the features I wanted. Except the KRG chassis :p. Also remember, Tikka T3 in 223 is going to be using the long action. But it does have that shortened bolt throw. And there is an annoying AI mag problem. Easy fix (just file the edges) but still annoying. Personally I don't like when things don't fit clean.

My very first rifle was savage 10 PC in 308. Shot 1 inch at 100 yards. My best could hit barely under (definitely my limit and not the rifle's limit). Cheap scope, rings and mount made it roughly your price range.. little over. You're not shooting far.. save money on the scope.

tl;dr With a cheap scope the savage should win you over. You won't have to spend on truing either. :p

Edit: I have very little faith in any rifle owner here to NOT upgrade their rifle... So here's info to consider on the tikka for future parts. This is a very nifty Pros and Con article by KRG. Click on documents tab. http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/2shop.php

Last edited: