• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Best way to carry a tripod when hunting without a pack?

david8989

The Tactical Texan
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
Bowie, TX
So me and my son day hunt from the truck for predators and deer, when in season. The grass at the place we hunt is fairly tall making a prone or naturally raised positional shot rare, at best. So we have been employing our tripods almost exclusively to make our shots. My question is this, what have you found is the best way to carrying a tripod without the use of a pack and where it is easily deployed? We typically have our rifles slung on our chest or back so slinging a tripod hasnt seemed like a great idea to me. I had thought about making some paracord belt clips to hang them from our belts but was looking for any ideas I may have overlooked. Thanks!

Arca lock the rifle onto the tripod, fold up the legs and put the tripod over your shoulder with the rifle attached

I run a leg through my bino harness and let it hang or run whole thing through harness horizontally and it works pretty well. Also use a sling but with a gun on they sometimes clash and make noise. Got the new smaller RRS one with a single point sling and will try it out.

Arca lock the rifle onto the tripod, fold up the legs and put the tripod over your shoulder with the rifle attached
So I started doing this on our last hunt and it worked but I hated having a hand tied up when I needed to glass

I run a leg through my bino harness and let it hang or run whole thing through harness horizontally and it works pretty well. Also use a sling but with a gun on they sometimes clash and make noise. Got the new smaller RRS one with a single point sling and will try it out.
Now, a single point sling with a large clip could possibly work 🤔

When the pig action picks back up I'll be putting 10+ hours and 20+ miles in per week again. Usually ill put in somewhere between 2-4 miles in a night, and I go at a normal walking pace (2.5 - 3 MPH) on ground I've covered before). I stop to scan at every pasture entry/exit, and about every 150 - 200 yards in between.

I simply sling my rifle across my chest and carry my Trigger Sticks in whichever hand feels best at the time. Super simple, but probably a setup that is designated to be used by 'poors' only.

I've had a couple buddies come out with much better (more stable) platforms that weigh as much as another rifle, and attach their rifle to it before we head out. Way more bulky, and they are frequently having to maneuver around tree branches etc... None of them seem to enjoy it after the first mile, and I don't blame them.

When the pig action picks back up I'll be putting 10+ hours and 20+ miles in per week again. Usually ill put in somewhere between 2-4 miles in a night, and I go at a normal walking pace (2.5 - 3 MPH) on ground I've covered before). I stop to scan at every pasture entry/exit, and about every 150 - 200 yards in between.

I simply sling my rifle across my chest and carry my Trigger Sticks in whichever hand feels best at the time. Super simple, but probably a setup that is designated to be used by 'poors' only.

I've had a couple buddies come out with much better (more stable) platforms that weigh as much as another rifle, and attach their rifle to it before we head out. Way more bulky, and they are frequently having to maneuver around tree branches etc... None of them seem to enjoy it after the first mile, and I don't blame them.
Your not wrong with your method by any means. My tripod is definitely on the heavy end but I'm a pretty big guy so the extra weight is worth it to me for the stability. It's just being comfortable walking with both a rifle and tripod hands free that eludes me so far, lol

Reactions: diggler1833
Short of just carrying it in your hands, I just can’t see how having two different things slung would be easy or quiet.

Perhaps something like HPG Kit Bag + Recon Harness?
Harness Link
Carry rifle slung patrol style and have tripod on the back?

I’d just carry a damned backpack. Haha

Short of just carrying it in your hands, I just can’t see how having two different things slung would be easy or quiet.

Perhaps something like HPG Kit Bag + Recon Harness?
Harness Link
Carry rifle slung patrol style and have tripod on the back?

I’d just carry a damned backpack. Haha
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm concluding, lol!

Somewhere out there is a sling for tripods. I’ve seen it. Just can’t remember who makes it.

🤷‍♂️

CD761-D55-93-E6-4-BD8-8245-776-A1-E71-EC53.jpg

I don't know how often you are stopping to glass, if its alot then just carrying it will be the easiest. If stop are longer in between than I strap mine to my backpack. It's the easiest way to get it out of the way. I run my rifle in front of me when hiking muzzle down so I got 2 hands free, if u are worried about being able to glass mount your binos onto the tripod and carry it this way , I do that alot also if stopping alot

Maybe like this….sorry, yeah I’m a smart Ass and couldn’t resist.

1629335967745.jpeg

I cover fairly long distances with my rifle and tripod.
Have tried several methods to carry.
Most commonly used today are the single unit over the shoulder carry as mentioned above or if carried separately I made a simple 550 para cord sling with double strand that attaches below ball head and other end slides up and down leg. It’s light, silent and fast. Pic up later.