• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best way to check scopes zero

Soups1978

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
Huron twsp, MI
I have a ior scope that caught some collateral damage. Basiclly fell over and dented the bell. My question how can I make sure it's holding it's mark? Would I have to buy some time of rest/sled? Use factory ammo? Shoot 50yrds? I'm I stuck with a expensive paper weight. Oh yeah I bougt it used no box no papers. Thanks in advance

Re: Best way to check scopes zero

Go shoot it. Run a box test and tracking test on the elevation up to atleast 10 mils or 40 moa.

Assuming it's zeroed now...

Go shoot it, see if it moved. if it did, adjust it. If it didn't don't.

either way, run a box test and see if it tracks well, then, I guess I would run the elevation all the way up and down, then the windage all the way left and right, see if it returns to zero. If it does, you're in the clear.

C_K

C_K

+1 rob01 & chris k it's the onley way to find out, now do you have a place to shoot not many public ranges around by us.there is washtenaw but you have to be a member to use the range.

I'm sorry should have went more in to detail. I have shot it and I can't get my rifle to group well with the damaged scope. Bought a new nightforce and my group tightened up greatly. Now it could have been me(I'm not the best shot) wind,ammo etc. Was wondering can the human aspect be taken out to make sure it's just a blemish and not internal damage. Plus had anyone delt with ior cs? Heard good and bad. I can take pics of dent buts it's just bell no cracked or scratched glass thanks

I've never had to send anything back to IOR, but have heard that it has improved GREATLY from the past. Something about having a CS center in the US or something...not sure of the whole story.

I did have questions for them once, and talked with Val over the phone. Very helpful, very informative. It cant hurt to give them a call and tell em what you have going on.

C_K

You need to use the same exact parameters as you did with the NF. Same rifle, ammo (hopefully premium), rest, etc. A couple of ten shots groups with each at a minimum. Testing both during the same session - if it's possible to swap scopes at the range, would be a small benefit.

Test the IOR as stated above. That way you have something to tell their CS when you call and not just say "my scope's broke".