• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best way to clean a FN Fal gas tube?

LibertyOptics

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2004
Kalispell Montana
www.libertyoptics.com
Hiders,

The question pretty much asks it all. I love the FAL platform but still haven't mastered the cleaning of the gas tube. Do you use a bore snake, rod and patch (give jag and patch size here) or some other way to clean the gas tube?? I could ask this question at the Fal Files but decided I'd rather hear from guys who really know
grin.gif

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Re: Best way to clean a FN Fal gas tube?

From the front a short rod with patch holder and enough patch for a snug (not to much)fit.Spray some GM carbon cleaner or I prefer the Slip 725 let it soak. Now spin the patch as you go in and out.This is not necessary all the time.I actually suspect it's never needed but this way works.

Re: Best way to clean a FN Fal gas tube?

As per Rhodesian Army.

Scrub front part of gas tube with chamber brush
Use issue pull through (fits in grip along with lube and chamber brush), with 1½" patch (our issue patching came as a roll with red lines to remarkate where to tear it for correct fit. For the gass you needed a slightly bigger patch). Pull back and forth.

Scrub piston clean with 'scotch brite' pot cleaner (green square of slightly abrasive material designed for cleaning kitchen pots)

Of course, somebody would always try and use a double patch...and it would go in easily but then...especially if the tube was a little corroded inside...Have resorted to pouring in a little methylated spirits and setting the 4x2 and the remains of the pull through on fire!

On my own personal F.N.

Scrub front of gas port with chamber brush (still have at least a dozen that I was issued). wipe out freed crud with a loose patch on a pistol rod (9mm loop and standard sized patch). Clean piston with scotch brite