• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best way to convert CDL to 30-06 Heavy Barrel?

vferguson3006

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
Maine
I have the .223's and the .308's, I can't get it out of my head that I need a heavy barrel 30-06.
What's the best way to start if you already own a 700 CDL with a standard factory 30-06 contour barrel. Unfortunatly it's blued.
Anyone gone down this road, or should I start from scratch with a rifle builder? Thoughts on other options?
Thanks, JOE

Re: Best way to convert CDL to 30-06 Heavy Barrel?

Good barrel.$350. Fitting barrel $300. Truing Action $300. Better bottom metal $300. Good Stock...$600. Fitting and bedding $250. Good aftermarket trigger $250. Coating rifle $300. Incidentals (Such as bases, fitting and bedding bases...$300. About $3000 plus or minus. Just about what any good custom rifle costs. Sell the CDL and look for a real rifle already built...or pony up the costs. A custom action won't be much more than building from the CDL. JMHO

If just looking for a shooter, inspect the lugs, if both are bearing evenly, buy the rifle, shoot it. If it shows promise, add the desired whistles, and work up a load. If it doesn't, sell it and do it again. You can lose $50 several times before paying 3K for a custom gun.

Custom guns are very nice, but not necessary to produce a shooter. Just an alternative thought............

I went with a stock Rem 700 in .30-06. Had a Broughton barrel put on it and dropped it in a McRee stock.
6536.jpg

True Action, install premium quality barrel: ~ $600
Premium quality barrel blank: ~ $300-375
McCrees stock: ~ $700 I think

Figure you're going to be in for $2k by the time you just take what you have and rebarrel and stock it.

All that being said, I really enjoy my 30-06 with heavy bullets, it's a lot of fun to shoot and it nicely pushes the performance gap between the 308 and 300 WM without the expense of a magnum cartridge.

Thanks, for the reply.
The Broughton barrel, purchased direct?
How much work for the gunsmith, rechamber, cut and crown?
Do you know if the Broughton heavy varmit will drop in a HS LA Stock?
A lot of questions I know but my gunsmith has never delt with Tactical "type" rifles. Certainly qualifyied, just need to get him started in the right direction
Thanks again, JOE

I've gone this route a couple of times. First time for me I already had a Remmy VSSF that I bought used and just couldn't get to group well. I decided to make it my first project and sent it to one of the well known smiths that post here to square and true up the action, install a badger recoil lug, chamber in .260 Rem and rebarrel with a heavy custom barrel that he usually keeps in stock, tune the trigger, skim bed and install it all back in the HS Precision stock for around $1,000. A while later I invested another $1,000 with the same smith who added Badger bottom metal, base, rings and bolt knob, then cerakoted the whole package and pillar bedded it in a McM A-5 stock. It is now an honest .25 MOA stick and a real beauty.

I figure I saved maybe $700 - $1,000 by building it up this way versus buying a custom, and it was easier for me to handle financially. You generally save the cost of the action, 15% excise tax that is built into the cost of a finished custom and maybe get a little discount by getting your parts through the smith that is doing the work. YMMV.

Since then I've had two other old sticks built up into customs and I have my own .30-06 donor rifle waiting for that next build. Good luck with yours!