• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best way to cut down shop humidity

Gustav7

Son of a Gun...
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Ohio (OH)
    So here’s my shop setup:
    34x80ft barn divided in half
    First half is walled and insulated with 2” insulated garage panels. 6” air gap between outside and the panels
    12’ Ceiling is done in the same panels, with about 8-10” of insulation blown on top.
    Dividing wall is 2x4’s with panels on one side and OSB on the other, blown insulation between.
    2, 10ft overhead doors.
    5 Single pane windows

The windows could be replaced with better windows for sure, but other than that, my goal is just to cut the humidity down for reloading and general comfort.

For guys who have done this, what route did you go? Window AC? Standing dehumidifier? Something else?

What’s the best value for performance?
    Any shop improvements I can make besides better windows?

I don’t need it super cool, so a dehumidifier would be fine but if there’s a legit AC option I’m not opposed.

I use a window unit in my 30x40 and it works great.

Reactions: Gustav7
    Keep an eye out for a deal on a whole house humidifier. They can run as standalone unit in a shop and pull 5-10gal/day out of the air. Even some of the smaller freestanding units from Lowes/HD/etc can pull 50+ pints but they don't move as much air with their small fans. Important will be how tight your shop is. If you have a lot of outside air exchange it's a losing battle.

ETA - it's 90deg and 70% humidity here right now but I've been comfortably in shop all day - albeit w/ two 5-ton heat pumps sucking my wallet dry!

Last edited:
    Mini-split does well for efficient cooling, but I had to run it pretty cold to keep the humidity under control in FL.

Stand alone dehumidifiers work well (in the space they’re designed to handle) at moisture control, but they also produce heat… which may be the opposite of what you’d like. It’s not a ton of heat, but when it’s already hotter than you’d like, it may be noticeable.

As mentioned, will depend on your rate of air exchange… which is why ACs work well inside (very little exchange), but not as well for garages (my scenario) and barns.

If you can seal that space well, a mini-split would likely make it as nice as your house.

So here’s my shop setup:
    34x80ft barn divided in half
    First half is walled and insulated with 2” insulated garage panels. 6” air gap between outside and the panels
    12’ Ceiling is done in the same panels, with about 8-10” of insulation blown on top.
    Dividing wall is 2x4’s with panels on one side and OSB on the other, blown insulation between.
    2, 10ft overhead doors.
    5 Single pane windows

The windows could be replaced with better windows for sure, but other than that, my goal is just to cut the humidity down for reloading and general comfort.

For guys who have done this, what route did you go? Window AC? Standing dehumidifier? Something else?

What’s the best value for performance?
    Any shop improvements I can make besides better windows?

I don’t need it super cool, so a dehumidifier would be fine but if there’s a legit AC option I’m not opposed.
    Retired HVAC engineer/contractor here, give me a PM and I can help you through a bunch of things.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the mini splits for sure. Ya Ohio isn't Louisiana but when it gets into the 90's with higher humidity, the concrete floors will start to sweat a bit. Reloading while constantly wiping sweat off my brow is something I'm going to attempt to do without. I've had some minor powder stickage on the real humid days too.

Retired HVAC engineer/contractor here, give me a PM and I can help you through a bunch of things.
    Appreciate it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the mini splits for sure. Ya Ohio isn't Louisiana but when it gets into the 90's with higher humidity, the concrete floors will start to sweat a bit. Reloading while constantly wiping sweat off my brow is something I'm going to attempt to do without. I've had some minor powder stickage on the real humid days too.

Appreciate it.
    The way I fixed it here in LA was to build a 11x11 shop inside one of the garages. I have A/C, heat and cable tv when I reload. A/C stays at 75 energy saver mode when I’m not in it. It removes all of the moisture, nothing will rust, and the best thing I’m not in the house while the wife watches Hallmark Channel. 👍😁

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
    I run a minisplit in my 50x50 shop. Worth it here in NC or it would be unusable in the summer hot/humidity months. Very efficient and keeps it 76 summer and 65 winter and never over $80-90 a month

Reactions: Expert684