• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best way to get a Rockset Flash hider off?

poison123

Gunny Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Jul 17, 2009
    US
    So I rockset a Blackout flasher hider on to my oldmans rifle awhile back. I want to switch it out for a muzzle break I've got sitting around.

I've so far got the barrel locked down in my barrel vice and I'm trying to wrencher the fucker off on the two bullshit spots they give you for that flash hider. Every time the wrench slips off and screws off just a little nugget of the wrench spot.

Any ideas on how I can get this son of a bitch off?

Re: Best way to get a Rockset Flash hider off?

I believe Rockset is softened by soaking in water over night.

Friend of mine used a heatgun to get the rockset to give up a little. Give that a go. or some acetone, which can wick into the threads easily to break it down.

Onyx

+1 on the water- soak it, try it, repeat.

Kroil, acetone or soak in water all will help breaking the bond. Since its designed to withstand high heat I would soak it in your fluid of choice before throwing heat on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe Rockset is softened by soaking in water over night. </div></div>
    this

I usualy sit them muzzle down in a glass of water for 12-24hrs

Yup got it soaking in water now. Gonna try to get it off tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

Flathead screwdriver in the prongs and leverage...

Soaked in water for 24 hours no go. F'ing wrench just can't get a purchase on to it.

I'd try the flathead if I wasn't paranoid about breaking the prongs off and then being completely screwed with the brake.

Soaking in water overnight has always worked for me on several occasions.

pipe wrench if you don't care about the flash hider.