• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best way to get into .338 LM?

Tiny86

Private
Minuteman
So I have a buddy that wants to get a "big boy caliber." I tried to steer him towards 300 PRC going through the factors of ammo cost versus performance and so on ( he will reload so he claims he'snot worried about the cost). He's pretty dead set on .338 LM. There is not a doubt in my mind that this plays into his end of the world/zombie apocalypse scenarios because he briefly mentioned something about wanting anti-material.
Who am I to deny him his toys!😂

So what are some suggestions about getting into a large-caliber without spending crazy money? ( I know, I know.)
My go to was an rpr. But finding one of those in stock in .338LM has proven to be a significant challenge.
He's currently looking at the Savage 110 precision and 110 Elite Precision. I figured he was probably better off saving $500 bucks because he's not going to use the features in the Elite Precision's chassie. But he wants the SS barrel so he's leaning towards the elite Precision.

He's looking at spending about $2000ish on the rifle. Realistically it's mostly going to be shot at the range from the prone.
Glass will be a story for another day. So all that being said, what are people's opinions or suggestions? My knowledge in long range is extremely limited so I'm interested in hearing whatever you have to say about different brands or calibers, complete gun vs building.
Thanks!

Find a used rifle, especially if he's just dipping his toe in to all of this (I take it he's planning on starting reloading to shoot 338??), don't get a ton of money invested into it if it turns out he hates it. Yes, there's plenty of 30's that will scratch that itch and hold their own out to 2k+. Also worth reminding him that magnum powders have been pretty scarce for a good while now, and it might not be as easy feeding the thing as he thinks it will be.

That being said, the Elite precision is good value. The chassis on its own is a $1200 piece of hardware. Bummer it has a savage action in it 😂

Find a used rifle, especially if he's just dipping his toe in to all of this (I take it he's planning on starting reloading to shoot 338??), don't get a ton of money invested into it if it turns out he hates it. Yes, there's plenty of 30's that will scratch that itch and hold their own out to 2k+. Also worth reminding him that magnum powders have been pretty scarce for a good while now, and it might not be as easy feeding the thing as he thinks it will be.

That being said, the Elite precision is good value. The chassis on its own is a $1200 piece of hardware. Bummer it has a savage action in it 😂
Hell, my 7mm Does really well at 2000+.

The savage and ruger are probably the cheapest complete in the game packages.

You can find a savage target magnum for $800-900

I'd do Savage. Can barrel swap in your basement when the time comes.

Out of curiosity, why not consider the 300 RUM? I mean if you're going Magnum, might as well go ULTRA MAGNUM! :)

MD. what does he think, all the Dem's that run the state are going to turn into zombies or start one of the ANYTHING GOES weekends ?
To give him a feel for what he in into shooting full house 338L loads. get a 4ft. 2x4, tape a little foam on one end, have him get into a prone position holding the 2x4 like he would a rifle. Now get the heaviest sledge hammer you can handle, and hit the 2x4 as hard as you can.wait 20 sec. for time to reload, and hit the board again, repeat at least 10 times. Now ask him if he's having fun yet, and remind him that little "trip' cost him about $ 40.00

Reactions: nikonNUT
He already reloads so he will just have to get the dies. Good point about the powder, I hadn't thought of that.

As for 7mm or 300RUM, he is dead set on something bigger then .30 (those extra 38 thousandths is what stops the panzers!)

I'm all for the 2x4/20lb sledge idea! But hey if the dems do star one of those weekends a .338LM would be great!😁

Last edited: