• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best way to get sand out?

Remsen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2006
Northern California (occupied)
I have some pretty fine grained sand inside the works of some magazines and other parts (luckily, not the rifle itself) and it seems to be a particularly sticky variety that's taking a lot of time to get out. Does anyone have a miracle cure for getting sand out or is elbow grease the best way?

Re: Best way to get sand out?

You could try an air compressor, but if it's that real fine stuff, I think you'll have to pull them apart and use a brush.

A barber's shaving cream brush, toothbrush, and Canned air (electronics cleaner) worked the best for me when dealing with desert sand/dust. Canned air was not "recommended" due to the possibility of moisture being deposited but I never had any associated issues.

if you find an easy way, let me know cause my old lady has some stuck in her ... well, it should be a pearl by now, thats all im gonna say

i bought some mil-surp cetme mags and used brake cleaner and held them upside down ish while pressing the mag down on a ruler to depress the follower, then hosed the inside. some i washed in hot soapy water, then let them dry in front of a fan before hosing them with remoil.

thats just me. if its sand, water wash it, just dry and oil it after. unless its a scope or whatever

they say air could force dirt into your stuff