• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best way to modify a fiberglass stock

eodusa

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2008
I have a new bottom metal for my model 70, but I have to modify the opening on the bottom of the stock

The stock is a McMillan. What's the best way to open up the area and refill with acraglass?

Dremel? Chisel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless the new bottom metal **almost** fits as is, the correct way to do the work is to combine skill with a vertical mill.

If you need to dust off a few thousandths of an inch in a couple spots to get it to drop in, a Dremel will do just fine, but if you have to alter the shape or depth of the inlet for your new bottom metal - you need a mill.

It's about 1/16 around the width to get it to fit in depth is okay

Sander or carbide bit?

If it is a McMillan stock send it to them to have it inletted. Whenever they have the cnc machine set up for your stock, they will run it. Sometimes wait is only two or three weeks, longest I had to wait was 8 weeks.

If I was doing the inlet myself, I'd use a mill. Once you hand-jam it and get some wild looking wiggly show lines, you can't fix that unless you do a larger inlet

McMillan and Dremel should be mutually exclusive. I cringe to think of a $4 Dremel bit taking off across a $700 stock.

1st hand experience talking here.