• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision best way to mount PVS14 behind day scope

ker2222

Minuteman
Sep 3, 2004
Hastings, MN
Pretty new to night vision hunting--hogs and varmints. Currently running a pvs14 behind an eotech. Works fine out to about 75 yards. I am wanting to add a little magnification to my nv capabilities.

Ideally I would like to be able to attach the NV behind a 1-6 variable power scope. What is the best way to do that? I have seen a couple of adaptors. Does anyone have any experience with any of them?

Or, is it just a dumb idea? Would I better off adding the 3x lens to the pvs14?

Someday, a dedicated thermal scope will be the solution and the pvs 14 will be for scanning and what not but that is a far way off. I appreciate any help and advice

3x USGI magnifier screwed on to front of PVS-14 behind EOTECH ...

epohR9fh.jpg

==
Another way, using Night Optics day/night adapter ... on the rear of the day scope ...

cmEfIqOh.jpg

==
But, the BEST way to use a PVS-14 behind a day scope, IMHO is "not at all" at least not for shooting. Too much recoil risk. I had to replace 2 PVS-14 tubes in first year due to recoil ... I don't use them on guns for shooting any more in in past 4.5 years I've replaced zero pvs-14 tubes.
:)

I do mount them behind day scopes, per above, for co-witnessing lasers and illumiators.

==

I hope these pics are visible.

==
If you want to shoot with a pvs-14 ... get a head mount for your PVS-14 and a laser for your rifle ...

hVgeChIh.jpg

Reactions: Dan M
3x USGI magnifier screwed on to front of PVS-14 behind EOTECH ...

epohR9fh.jpg

==
Another way, using Night Optics day/night adapter ... on the rear of the day scope ...

cmEfIqOh.jpg

==
But, the BEST way to use a PVS-14 behind a day scope, IMHO is "not at all" at least not for shooting. Too much recoil risk. I had to replace 2 PVS-14 tubes in first year due to recoil ... I don't use them on guns for shooting any more in in past 4.5 years I've replaced zero pvs-14 tubes.
:)

I do mount them behind day scopes, per above, for co-witnessing lasers and illumiators.

==

I hope these pics are visible.

==
If you want to shoot with a pvs-14 ... get a head mount for your PVS-14 and a laser for your rifle ...

hVgeChIh.jpg

I would agree with this to a point. 5.56 recoil should not hurt a good PVS-14. I’m sure that is to a point. What that line is, I don’t know. I have no problem putting one on my 5.56 and hunting hogs or coyotes, however I would not mount one and run 4-5k rounds thru it.
F1FFCE87-691C-4092-AF81-CC6340A3610D.png

Now, how to get a company to believe that a failure was due to 5.56 recoil, and not a drop or fall of some sort, I don’t know. That is nothing against Vic or anyone else, but I don’t want the warranty hassle myself.

Here is how I use to run mine.
8D2A103A-1816-4FEB-8B68-DA0EB81953ED.jpeg
E1065CDB-2AE8-4689-A1FA-B3ECA55B0CEE.jpeg

I used mine on a large mount that stays attached to my tube. There is enough room for me to run a 3x magnifier behind it if I want to.
A231721C-0E3C-4DF2-A32F-A5FEBF764853.jpeg

It does work, but from what I have seen, it works better with an EOTECH than it does with my T1.
For mounting it on a magnified optic, I use a camera mount.
ED62E591-CD64-471C-8331-30BE907BED45.jpeg

This mount is made so you can attach a point and shoot camera to the optic and take pictures thru the scope. It does however have enough adjustability to allow you to mount a PVS 14 on it.
5B564E0D-1F9C-4466-9C81-501754F7721D.jpeg

I would not run anything more than a 1-6 with this setup as it drastically reduces its use. The 14 in this scenario can only amplify that amount of light which passes thru the lenses on the scope.
As WIGWAMITUS stated, it’s best to have a clip on in front of the day optic as it amplifies all the light it can get before transmitting that amplified image down thru your day scope, greatly increasing what power you can run your optic at.

However, I understand that a clip on is not in everyone’s budget, and if you can’t afford one, run what you already have and go for it!

I will see if I can take a few pics for you of the difference between a 14 with 3x magnifier, the razor set on 3x with the 14, and what the razor 1-6 looks like with a clip on at the same settings.

The best way is not all but you can purchase an Aimpoint swivel mount and the corresponding ring for it that goes onto the PVS14 from TNVC and move the scope forward on the rail. Mounting your 14 behind a magnified day optic works best if the day optic has a parallax adjustment and a larger objective I'd go 40mm or bigger good glass will be very critical as well. You're giving the light more lenses to travel though and thus the 14's image will be dim but much sharper than it would be with a clip-on because the 14 is viewing a higher resolution premaginfied image vs a clip-on which is zooming in on the back of the MCP and thus degrading resolution but is much brighter and a setup that's better on equipment overall. You will need a good illuminator as well. The image will get worse as you dial up the magnification and eventually become unusable with a good illuminator and quality glass out of a 24mm objective you may only get 3-4x with a 40mm objective and adj. parallax you may get 8-12x. I've shot 700 yards with the following combo 3-18x44 VX6 w/side parallax/SPIR IR lluminator. I know you didn't mention long range however it is a working setup but I look at it as something I can do if I absolutely have to but I don't do. Again it's not the best route to go and aside from recoil also consider that you're focusing magnified light into your 14 there's a magnifying glass effect going on there. Be very careful not to point the 14 at any light source at all when it's behind the scope things you wouldn't worry about while the 14 was head mounted can damage it while it's behind the scope. Probably best to just keep the 14 on your head or look at rifle mounting as a temporary solution while saving for a clip-on or a dedicated thermal scope.

Using a 1-6 Vortex Razor I mounted my 14 in front of the scope. Much better resolution and no strain on my neck from having everything mounted to far to the rear. I just used a cheap GI PVS-14 mount. I can go to about 3x before the focus goes out.

I know mounting a 14 in front of a day optic causes issues with accuracy
, but when I did it just to play around, I never could get things in focus.

i run one of my 14's behind an eotech and I have the 3x magnifier. My 14 is the RC model which is higher recoil rated. Keep in mind that the 14 was NEVER designed to be weapons mounted. It was to be helmet mounted and used with lasers. And it is very accurate used in theat fashion.

I know mounting a 14 in front of a day optic causes issues with accuracy
, but when I did it just to play around, I never could get things in focus.
19dsniper. That's weird, When I tried to mount mine behind the scope I could not get it to focus. I have PVS-26's and other front mounted scopes at work and they do just fine.

after listening to all the advice here and from other users I went ahead and bought a laser....lol

I did pick up a 3x magnifier too to run behind the eotech and see how that works too but I am going to run the laser and helmet set up most of the time. I'll be starting a new thread for opinions on best zero for offset laser.