• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes best way to rezero

cowboy25actual

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2009
ok ,this is the deal theres no way to be cool ,or sugar coat this,,cowboy has jacked up his scope,because hes a stupid gear monkey,,my scope took a small tumble off the john deere gator,scuffed up the bottom of the tube,,i took steel wool and got the scrape smooth,the scope was remounted re adjusted and got on paper,i got a new rail and burris extreme mounts,i bore sighted it with a leaopole, mech bore sight the magnet one,i shot at a 100 yrd,,,i dug a nice hole down and to the right,,off the paper,,,came back to the house my rail was loose,and i had my tail tucked,,i got thread lock now,aclohol,, for cleanning screws etc,,how do i get my scope reset to my mech zero,so i can remount,torque proper etc,and get back on paper,,luckly im blessed with my own range,,so know one saw my humiliation,,,,well i thought i heard some coyotes laughing ...im not giving up...

Re: best way to rezero

You don't need to find your scopes mechanical zero to get on paper.

Just take out the bolt, look down the bore at something 100Y away, then adjust your scope until the two meet.

Rijndael is correct. You can usually get withing a few inches of your point of aim by using this method.

best way to re-zero.....

after you bore sight as suggested above:

Shoot, twist a couple knobs and shoot again..... repeat until your zeroed.

On another note. What scope are you using that lost zero after the lil mishap?

You can re-zero your scope by counting the total clicks from one end to the other and setting them to the halfway point. So say 80 clicks one way. Count 40 clicks. The other method is to use a fixed rotating point as in two v-cutouts in a shoebox. Turn the scope whilst peering at the reticule. It should remain on the same point of aim, otherwise dial the reticule untill this is acheived.
The scope can now be mounted. The scope mounts must now be used to bring the rifle on paper and not the dials. peering through the barrel can eliminate the need to fire the rifle to establish point of barrel and scope. This means mountswith windage and elevation adjustment must be used. The scope will now be mounted being close to mechanically zeroed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 8shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can re-zero your scope by counting the total clicks from one end to the other and setting them to the halfway point. So say 80 clicks one way. Count 40 clicks. The other method is to use a fixed rotating point as in two v-cutouts in a shoebox. Turn the scope whilst peering at the reticule. It should remain on the same point of aim, otherwise dial the reticule untill this is acheived.
The scope can now be mounted. The scope mounts must now be used to bring the rifle on paper and not the dials. peering through the barrel can eliminate the need to fire the rifle to establish point of barrel and scope. This means mountswith windage and elevation adjustment must be used. The scope will now be mounted being close to mechanically zeroed. </div></div>

What!?

He doesn't have rings and mounts with windage or elevation adjustments.

There is NO reason to return that scope to mechanical zero. Bore sight the rifle and then zero it on paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 8shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can re-zero your scope by counting the total clicks from one end to the other and setting them to the halfway point. So say 80 clicks one way. Count 40 clicks. The other method is to use a fixed rotating point as in two v-cutouts in a shoebox. Turn the scope whilst peering at the reticule. It should remain on the same point of aim, otherwise dial the reticule untill this is acheived.
The scope can now be mounted. The scope mounts must now be used to bring the rifle on paper and not the dials. peering through the barrel can eliminate the need to fire the rifle to establish point of barrel and scope. This means mountswith windage and elevation adjustment must be used. The scope will now be mounted being close to mechanically zeroed. </div></div>

What!?

He doesn't have rings and mounts with windage or elevation adjustments.

There is NO reason to return that scope to mechanical zero. Bore sight the rifle and then zero it on paper. </div></div>

Ok ,then maybe the question was to complicated for me. If the mounts cannot adjust then you are all correct and the mechanical zero of the scope before mounting is a waste of time.

The only other advice would be to mark the scope and the position of the rings with magic marker or something similiar before taking the scope off and then putting it back the way it came off in order to attain the current zero or point of aim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 8shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can re-zero your scope by counting the total clicks from one end to the other and setting them to the halfway point</div></div>

Actually, this is the click zero, not the optical zero.

Nearly all scopes have phantom clicks at one end, or both. The turret clicks and the reticle doesn't move. It's generally not equal at the top and bottom. Because of this, your click zero is not likely the optical zero (reticle perfectly centered).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 8shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can re-zero your scope by counting the total clicks from one end to the other and setting them to the halfway point</div></div>

Actually, this is the click zero, not the optical zero.

Nearly all scopes have phantom clicks at one end, or both. The turret clicks and the reticle doesn't move. It's generally not equal at the top and bottom. Because of this, your click zero is not likely the optical zero (reticle perfectly centered). </div></div>
+1
You really need a boresighter (collimator) to measure reticle travel and then dial to the midpoints.

That said, it would seem that the OP just needs to boresight, then final zero with live fire.