• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Best way to ship frozen meat across the country?

McNamara0851

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2014
We’ve been discussing freezer beef in another thread. A member from California inquired about getting a 1/4 from me and having it shipped. I’m willing to do it for him just for shits and giggles. We are checking around to see what the damage will be. Total weight will be 150#+. Who has shipped meat through a carrier after a hunt? (not on an airplane while traveling). What are some implications that I need to be concerned about? I’m aware that it will be expensive. I know I can call fedex and get a quote, but I’m looking for advice and avenues from people who have done it. Are there carriers that specialize in this? What would the members of the hide do? Please refrain from telling us how we are dumb as shit. We are aware. We know there are calves closer to California than Illinois. Thanks in advance.

Maybe try contacting some of the speciality
Meat suppliers like buffalo for example, and
Pick their brains.
I am trying to plan a hunt for hogs and did some research on packing frozen with dry ice in coolers, my hunt would be about 1300
Mi and a few days to get it back.
Dosen't exactly fit your situation.
For what that is worth.

I just had 150#s of Elk shipped from new mexico to California. They packed everything in to igloo coolers pre frozen and added dry ice to each cooler. It was around $280 for shipping costs plus the price for the coolers.

I just had 150#s of Elk shipped from new mexico to California. They packed everything in to igloo coolers pre frozen and added dry ice to each cooler. It was around $280 for shipping costs plus the price for the coolers.

Pre freezing the coolers helps a lot. Also, make sure there is minimal air space in the cooler and have layers of insulation stuff above the dry ice.

Tape the coolers closed and keep them out of direct sunlight.

I've done 2000 miles like this over 30+ hours (non-stop) and everything was still solid as a rock.

Walmart coolers are probably cheaper though but check to see if shipper requires them to be boxed. The place where I still keep an office ships/receives a lot of coolers w/ water samples/ice. A few years ago UPS started requiring coolers to be in cardboard boxes. They negotiated an exemption and not sure if it's still a requirement or what other carriers require.

I've used fedex. Used Styrofoam coolers and cardboard boxes. It will be at least 200. Probably be 2 boxes.

Plastic Igloo coolers from Walmart. Works best if meat is frozen already if so you don’t even need dry ice. Pack in there with some newspaper at the end of the day and find out what the latest your fedex can get an overnight package and pack it just early enough to get it out of freeezer packed and to fed ex. When shipping wild game we usually measure it out the day before so we know exactly what the cooler weighs and print labels. Screw the lid down with some drywall screws and send it on it’s way. This works great for checked in luggage on flights also but make sure you pre measure your weight including the cooler so you stay under 50lbs. I know it’s off topic but used to send motorcross bike engines all over the country the same way worked great. Pelican case for suspension also kicks ass.

I have shipped several elk. Cost was high but don’t recall exact amount. Long while back. I do recall thinking it was not worth the cost.

I have shipped several elk. Cost was high but don’t recall exact amount. Long while back. I do recall thinking it was not worth the cost.
I told you how we do it but kinda agree with this post it’s pricey to overnight a cooler of meat. Always try to fly southwest on hunts away from home so I can get 100lbs in my two checked in coolers and another 30-40 in my back pack carryon. Then I send my bag and bow case back ground shipping. Saves a ton Of money that way

The igloo coolers from walmart. I put ice in them. Went on a week long bear hunt, ice still in them at the end of the week. I would freeze them. drop dry ice, and ship it 3 days. You will be fine.

The igloo coolers from walmart. I put ice in them. Went on a week long bear hunt, ice still in them at the end of the week. I would freeze them. drop dry ice, and ship it 3 days. You will be fine.
+1 that’s what my father In law does when he goes to Alaska for salmon fishing. It’s pretty expensive. He’s definitely not saving money to eat the fish he’s caught. Even if you take the actual trip cost out of it. But it’s Alaska, might be cheaper if they don’t have to put it on a plane.

just get it hard frozen and add max amount of dry ice in a cooler ship on a Monday so no sit in warehouse over a weekend shipped elk from CO to Maryland fed ex for like 100 bucks several times always shows up still hard and frozen.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Great thread and something I never took into consideration when hunting out of state. Hopefully I’ll be referring back to this post in October

Reactions: Simonsza1