• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best way to test loads on a rifle

Exodus343

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2013
SoCal
I am wondering what is the best way to test reloads on a precision rig?
bipod, sandbags, shooting rest etc etc

which gave you guys the best accuracy and stability?

I use bipod with rear bag. Just like I shoot when not testing loads.

Common sense says the more stable the platform, the better the results. If that means heavy front rest and rear bag, do it. I'd bet because of a pulled shot or 2, or a slight gust of wind, most of us have walked away from a handful of "Loads of a Lifetime".

That said. I use a front rest for hunting guns, bipod for the rest of them.

Last edited:
Bipod and rear bag are good enough for my needs. I use what I typically shoot with...though, I do use a bench and then try prone as well.

thanks for the replies, now to add another question
is it ideal to test loads on the bench or on prone?

I too also use a harris with a rear sand bag, and can anyone recommend a GOOD rear bag?

Lead Sled with bags. It removes even the slightest possibility of your anticipation of recoil and most of the influence of your body. You can almost just touch the rifle at the trigger.

Lead Sled with bags. It removes even the slightest possibility of your anticipation of recoil and most of the influence of your body. You can almost just touch the rifle at the trigger.
LOL! If you read this quickly you almost miss the sarcasm.