• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best ways to remove cerakote?

G and R

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Central, OH
I have a set of NF ultra light scope rings that have been cerakoted. I need to remove the cerakote, I would prefer to get it off without damaging the original finish. Any ideas?

Re: Best ways to remove cerakote?

Good luck. You might try some type of striper but the only way I know is with a blast cabinet.

I would think the original finish has already been blasted away before the Cerakote was applied.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think the original finish has already been blasted away before the Cerakote was applied. </div></div>

I may just hit them with some krylon, I would think the cerakote would act as a priner for the krylon to adhere to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think the original finish has already been blasted away before the Cerakote was applied. </div></div>

I learned this the hard way with a pair of badger rings....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock_and_roll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I may just hit them with some krylon, I would think the cerakote would act as a priner for the krylon to adhere to. </div></div>

Just make sure you degrease them good before, krylon won't hold up like cerakote, but may be a cheap fix for yah.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock_and_roll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I may just hit them with some krylon, I would think the cerakote would act as a priner for the krylon to adhere to. </div></div>

Just make sure you degrease them good before, krylon won't hold up like cerakote, but may be a cheap fix for yah. </div></div>

Thanks for the input, krylon it is.