• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best wildlife binocs around $500

patriot07

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2017
Dallas
I currently have a set of Vortex Diamondback 10x42 and Minox BF 10x42 binocs. Both seem nearly identical to me in terms of clarity/resolution, ease of focus, and general level of quality. I'm happy with both, especially for the cost. I also have a Vortex Razor 11-33 spotter. But we're going to Smoky Mountain National Park this summer and I'm wondering if I should upgrade a bit for better wildlife viewing? If there was something in the $300-$600 range that was a big upgrade, I'd consider it.

If this is anything like rifle scopes, the $500 range isn't really that much better than the $150-$200 range, and I'm not too interested in paying for a small upgrade. I'm also not expecting Swaro quality at $500. Just wondering what's out there that would be an option.

Thanks in advance!

You might look at the Nikon Monarch 5 16x56. There are some on Ebay for right at 500. Mine came from Japan, it took a couple weeks, and there are no duties to pay on items under 2k or something like that. Not in the United States anyway. I have been impressed with mine, my other set are Steiner 10x42 Predators, so I don't have experience with some of the newer or higher end binoculars.

Reactions: patriot07
Check out the Bushnell Forge 10x binos. I've had them side by side with Swaros, and the Bushnells hold their own. Street price on the 10s is right around $500.

The 2018 version of the Vortex Viper HD 8x42 are outstanding - and you can find them for $489 (used to be $650 or so) at B&H. I'd buy another pair, even. I'm a bit of a glass snob. These aren't Swaro ELs, but they're damn good for that money.

ETA... they've proven good enough at matches to spot hits at 1200, see trace clearly out that far, and call wind via mirage. Not as much magnification as I'd like, but I've been able to see. For birding, they've been very sufficient.

I have the Nikon Monarch 7 in 8x42 and they sell for around $475. I used to carry a compact Bushnell to save on weight for hiking, but I like the Nikon so much that I'm willing to carry the extra weight.

For Nikon's optics line from highest quality to consumer: Monarch HG is the highest, Monarch 7, Monarch 5, then finally the consumer lines (various)

I keep hearing amazing stuff about the Bushnell Forge series for the $, IMO unless you have a solid rest you don't want anything over 10x.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I keep hearing amazing stuff about the Bushnell Forge series for the $, IMO unless you have a solid rest you don't want anything over 10x.

If anyone is going to the AI match at Altus this weekend, there will be sets of the 10 and 15x Forge binos running around. I will have both set up Friday at zero day and Saturday at the cookout for people to check out.

I'll take a look at the Forge.

Right now looking at ebay and local craigslist, there are a pair of the Cabela's Euro (pre-HD) 8x42 that are supposedly the same as the Meostar for $450, or a pair of Minox HG 10x43 BR for about the same price.

Doug has the Meopro 8x42 for $399 or the Meostar 8x32 for $699. Don't really want to spend $700, but that's probably the best option for size and performance.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Is the Meopro even going to be a significant upgrade over my Diamondbacks? I'm not really interested in paying $400 for "barely noticeable".

Watched some Cabelas Meostars go for $450 on ebay today, but they were 10x42 and I'm really wanting an 8x.

I had actually considered the Viper HD. Not sure how they compare to the Meopro, but the 8x32 is lightweight and the lineup in general gets pretty good reviews. Generally speaking, they're a hair more expensive than the Meopro, and I have a hard time believing they're better, so that's my hesitation.

I free hand my 16x, they are not bad. Its not hard to find a decent rest to use. I carry a tripod, but don't always get it out. There are a bunch of easy rests using bino's out of the car or in the field. The tripod is best though.

Might want to look a the Athlon line as well. The Cronus, Ares and Midas are the top 3 lines from Athlon. I looked through a Midas set next to the Vortex Kaybab and Razor. Midas was comparable to Kaybab, not even a contest compared to Razor - which was really nice. But I have a set of the Cronus on the way, their top tier. Will be interesting to see how they perform.

Ended up getting a deal a set of used meostars (cabelas branded), so I'm going to give those a whirl. 10x42 model. I'm sure they'll be more than adequate for my needs. Think I will probably put the Minox up for sale and let my wife use the Vortex Diamondbacks.

I will say - I'm actually really impressed with the Diamondback binos. They have good sharpness and contrast and they're really easy to look through. But I've heard the Meostars are on another level, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for all the help!

The meostars smoke the razor (made in China btw) which smokes the vipers ext.

In the sub 1k range I find the Zeiss conquests to have the best glass followed by meostars then the new Leupold bx4 and the meopros. Lots of good options out there.

I was, they look Terrible compared to quality binos. Even the razors are inferior to options half their price. Plus they are made in China. You can get euro or jap made optics for similar or less money that blow them away optically.

I think the Zeiss Conquests is where I’d look. I have a pair of the 8x32’s and the clarity is excellent.
Small package also. You could look at the 8x42 but I think you’ll find a better deal on the smaller pair. Found mine new on flea bay for a great deal. I think I paid about $600 all in

Reactions: Primus
Hawke Frontier ED 10x42. I've had a pair of these for years. For the price they will get you by and not break your budget. I think they are probably off of the same production line as the Vipers, not sure though. Still my truck binos to keep the others from getting bumped around.

I think the Zeiss Conquests is where I’d look. I have a pair of the 8x32’s and the clarity is excellent.
Small package also. You could look at the 8x42 but I think you’ll find a better deal on the smaller pair. Found mine new on flea bay for a great deal. I think I paid about $600 all in
I heard lots of good stuff about the Conquests as well. From what I've heard, the Conquests and Meostars are on pretty much the same level (some folks like one better than the other, but there doesn't seem to be universal agreement that one is superior).

I got the 10x42 Cabelas Meostars for $500, so they were hard to look past at that price. And coming from a Vortex Diamondback, I think they'll all look pretty good.

On the flip side, if I find out that the biggest difference is low light and that resolution during the day is really not meaningfully different (which may be the case, because I like my Diamondbacks), then I'll probably sell them and get something else cheap and call it a day. I'm not hunting at stuff 1,000 yards out, so having premium binos is a luxury for family vacations looking at wildlife, not a necessity.

All that being said, I could probably keep the Meostars for the next 30 years and never need anything better, so if I have to pay that kind of money to look through great optics for a few decades, it's really a pretty small price to pay for a better view of the world.

Reactions: Primus
My wife and I tested the 10x42 Cabela's euro (meostars) side by side with the 10x42 conquest HD 10x42. She liked the meostars better and I thought the conquests looked much better. They were so clear and crisp with great color rendering. Both of these are hard to beat for the price and are much closer to $3k binos than $500 ones.

Most people couldnt tell the difference anyway, they are that good.

Plus they are made in China.

My Viper HDs, and the Razors I've handled are both Japanese made. I look through stellar optics professionally, and without a doubt, the Viper HDs are far from terrible. They're not Swaro ELs. The Razors I've handled, however, are not far off. Not sure what axe you have to grind with Vortex, but...

My Viper HDs, and the Razors I've handled are both Japanese made. I look through stellar optics professionally, and without a doubt, the Viper HDs are far from terrible. They're not Swaro ELs. The Razors I've handled, however, are not far off. Not sure what axe you have to grind with Vortex, but...
If the Vipers had been cheaper than Cabelas Meostars, I probably would have gone with those. They're basically 2 levels above my Diamondbacks, which I'm sure would have been plenty good. But I've heard the Meostars are a small step above the vipers, and they were cheaper, so that's what I went with. But I agree that generally speaking, the Vipers seem to have a great reputation for performance and value.

Maybe the OLDER models but all the recent ones I have seen are made in CHINA, including the spotters.

You can get much better optics for similar or less money.

The AMG and Razor Gen 2 are another story, but they are the only vortex products worth owning IMO. IN every other market I can identify a better product that is cheaper.

I have a Razor 11-33 spotter, and the glass quality is really excellent and it wasn't that expensive, although I'll admit that I was surprised to find it was made in China. I've looked through one of the bigger ones quite a bit (can't remember if it was the 65 or 85), but it also had really excellent glass, but also made in China.

Even Athlon makes their high-end stuff in Japan, so I am a little surprised that Vortex would make any of their Razor lineup in China. Not surprised at all that the Vipers would be made there, but again, my Diamondbacks are as well and I think they're really excellent optics for the price. A far cry from the $150 binos from 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: davere