• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best XTR for the money? (Under $900)

Best XTR for the money? (Under $900)

• XTR II 5-25x50

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • XTR II 4-20x50

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • XTR III 3.3-18x50

Votes: 39 83.0%

• Total voters

m6z

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
Joplin, MO
Best XTR for the money? (Under $900)

I've got an ARC Nucleus PRS rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor that needs glass.

Get the XTRIII

The II lacks the glass needed to take advantage of the extra magnification. I’ve had several XTR II. The 3-15 is decent. The 5-25 really suffers on the top end

Reactions: Yondering
Coming from someone who has both XTR-II 5-25x50 and XTR-III 5.5-30x56 scopes... The XTR-III definitely is a few steps up from the XTR-II. Not a damn thing wrong with the XTR-II in the sub-$750 category (especially while they're on sale for $569), but if you have the extra cash, jump to the XTR-III. The glass and mechanical quality are a noticeable improvement.

Reactions: diggler1833
XTR II 4 20 sucks ass,complete garbage.

No it isn't. Ran three different versions in PRS for years. And I know of a half dozen others. They were flawless. You can drive nails with those things without breaking them.

You'll find people not wild about the glass, but you'll find years worth of positive comments about the scopes reliability. It was a near impossibility to find someone who had a tracking issue with one.

They're a great optic for their price. And the market agrees. They are still popular and still selling after being on the market for a decade.

Reactions: Gohring65
Spend the extra money on the xtr3, in my opinion it is a huge step up in glass quality over the 2. I have owned 3 5-30’s and a 3-18 xtr3. Plus now have 3 xtr pros.

Anyone that’s says Burris is trash is an elitist, brand whore, or never given them a chance.

I really like all of the xtr’s I have owned and planning on buying a few more xtr3 3-18 for hunting rifles. I would pick the 5-30 for match shooting but between your choices the xtr3 3-18 would by far be my pick.

For reference I replaced my 6-24 Kahles gen 3 with my first XTR Pro and feel I made an upgrade.

No it isn't. Ran three different versions in PRS for years. And I know of a half dozen others. They were flawless. You can drive nails with those things without breaking them.

You'll find people not wild about the glass, but you'll find years worth of positive comments about the scopes reliability. It was a near impossibility to find someone who had a tracking issue with one.

They're a great optic for their price. And the market agrees. They are still popular and still selling after being on the market for a decade.
Guess i got a bad one. My 3 15 is great to use but my 4 20 sucks ass looking through. In fact last time i went to the range i was gonna shoot a rifle that had my XTR II 4 20 on i ended up just putting it in its case. I'm sorry i can't for the life of me try to explain what the fuck is wrong with it im sure its fine otherwise, but just thinking about using it gives me a migraine.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Spend the extra money on the xtr3, in my opinion it is a huge step up in glass quality over the 2. I have owned 3 5-30’s and a 3-18 xtr3. Plus now have 3 xtr pros.

Anyone that’s says Burris is trash is an elitist, brand whore, or never given them a chance.

I really like all of the xtr’s I have owned and planning on buying a few more xtr3 3-18 for hunting rifles. I would pick the 5-30 for match shooting but between your choices the xtr3 3-18 would by far be my pick.

For reference I replaced my 6-24 Kahles gen 3 with my first XTR Pro and feel I made an upgrade.
I agree with everything else you said, but i strongly disagree on that last one... I have 2 of the newest Gen K624i's and a new K318i, and both have phenomenal glass and mechanics. I've also become a huge fan of the turret parallax adjustment. Really helps slim-down the width of the scopes, which is nice for hunting and fitting in tight-fitting gun cases. JMO.

Reactions: Baron85
I know what i have and what works for me. And I'm not going to bullshit anyone.
1000002988.jpg

• Love
I don’t remember the exact comparison. I wrote about it on here when I made the switch. For me personally I hated the paralax on top. I agree the kahles are top notch but I play the PRS game and the features of the xtr pro and the 1/4 mil reticle were a huge plus for me. If I remember correctly side by side I felt my pro had better resolution but that’s off memory and was splitting hairs. The turrets had much better feel on the kahles though.

If I was able to have all my scopes kahles and they had a 1/4 mil reticle it would have been a tougher decision. My kahles had the left side windage and I would reach up and adjust it trying to adjust paralax and bone myself.

I don’t remember the exact comparison. I wrote about it on here when I made the switch. For me personally I hated the paralax on top. I agree the kahles are top notch but I play the PRS game and the features of the xtr pro and the 1/4 mil reticle were a huge plus for me. If I remember correctly side by side I felt my pro had better resolution but that’s off memory and was splitting hairs. The turrets had much better feel on the kahles though.

If I was able to have all my scopes kahles and they had a 1/4 mil reticle it would have been a tougher decision. My kahles had the left side windage and I would reach up and adjust it trying to adjust paralax and bone myself.
Yeah, there's no comparison between the turrets... The Kahles has some of the nicest I've ever twisted, hands-down. They only scope I own that competes in the turret department is my newer ATACR F1 5-25x56.

I've owned an original 3-12 XTR, still own a 1-8 and 3-15 XTR II, a 5.5-30 XTR III (US made), and an XTR Pro.

My two XTR IIs are not all that impressive in the subjective "glass quality" department, but they have both seen A LOT of use and have maintained mechanical zero. The 1-8 is on my backdoor/ranch rifle and will probably never move from that spot unless I manage to kill it.

I really like my III too, although being one of the earlier US scopes, it is unnecessarily stiff and has sharp edges beyond what is really acceptable. Throw levers are a must on these. I paid $1,100 for mine when the illuminated IIIs hit the market and will continue to say that I got a bargain because it compares very well in that glass quality department with most scopes that are under $2K.

My Pro is a touch better with the glass and mechanics (actually, much nicer to twist the turrets on). Unfortunately I guess they've had some bad examples slip out lately, but mine is excellent. Lucky me.

If you can get the XTR III for under $900, I think it is a very solid option. Again, you'd probably have to spend $600 more somewhere else before you'd really notice an improvement.

If you can get the XTR III for under $900, I think it is a very solid option. Again, you'd probably have to spend $600 more somewhere else before you'd really notice an improvement.
I'm about half a RCH from pulling the trigger on an XTR3, but I'm looking at a bit under 1300.........am I missing something for 900ish??????

I'm about half a RCH from pulling the trigger on an XTR3, but I'm looking at a bit under 1300.........am I missing something for 900ish??????

When I bought mine the US made ones were closing out. It was about $900 for the 3.5-18 and $1,100 for the 5.5-30.

If you're military, take a look at Expert Voice.

Reactions: Lightning8

But if you prefer the SCR2 MIL reticle (which I do) they are about $1,100 or so when you add it to cart.

Reactions: diggler1833
I had a 3.3-18 XTR3i and now have a US made 5.5-30. Contrary to the norm I find my US model to be easier to turn the magnification on, to have better turret feeling but less audible clicks (still very audible and nice) and much better parallax knob. The parallax and mag ring on my illum model were very tight. The aggressive kneeling on my US model is just that, but isn’t terrible, and with a throw lever would be kind of a non issue at least on mine.

I find the SCR reticle way easier to see than the supposedly thicker illum SCR2 reticle. I think an SCR2 5.5-30 would be great on a bench rifle, and an SCR 3.3-18 would be a good hunting or crossover optic.

Reactions: Lightning8
I have an old 8 mil/rev 3-15 xtr2 g2b, and newer 3-15 g2b, 4-20 SCR and a 5-25 g2b and used to have a different 5-25 scr. I also have a 3.3-18 scr non illuminated and a 5.5-30 scr nonilluminated. The 4-20 XTR2 is just super clear and far and away my BEST XTR2. The 3.3-18 XTR3 nonilluminated is better, but not worlds better than the 4-20 xtr2... the 5.5-30 XTR3 nonilluminated is just so much more clear than any of my other scopes, it is just ridiculous. I guess since i got my 4-20 for $820, my 5-25 for $620, and my nonillum 3.3-18 XTR3 for $900, i would probably still go with the XTR3, but since the 4-20's are to be had at about 600 now at DVOR if you are at the right place at the right time, that makes it harder.

Reactions: Gohring65

But if you prefer the SCR2 MIL reticle (which I do) they are about $1,100 or so when you add it to cart.

Europtic is where I was looking.................5.5-30 with the SCR2 reticle, 1291.00$ Best price I found anywhere.

Guess i got a bad one. My 3 15 is great to use but my 4 20 sucks ass looking through. In fact last time i went to the range i was gonna shoot a rifle that had my XTR II 4 20 on i ended up just putting it in its case. I'm sorry i can't for the life of me try to explain what the fuck is wrong with it im sure its fine otherwise, but just thinking about using it gives me a migraine.

If you still have it, it might be worth it to reach out to CS. It doesn't sound like it's right.

I always felt like, based on the many I've seen, that the 4-20 was the sweet spot in the line up. Reach out and see if they can make it right.

I've been thinking about one of the XTR II 3-15 or 5-25 as well, vs PST 2 5-25 or the Optika6 5-30. Been leaning towards the Vortex because they are easy to deal with if (when) something breaks. Also once you get 900 or so you can find used Bushnell 3.5-21 that are built like a tank.

I've been thinking about one of the XTR II 3-15 or 5-25 as well, vs PST 2 5-25 or the Optika6 5-30. Been leaning towards the Vortex because they are easy to deal with if (when) something breaks. Also once you get 900 or so you can find used Bushnell 3.5-21 that are built like a tank.
I removed a Strike Eagle 5-25 for an XTR-II 5-25. The XTR-II had sharper glass and felt more solid. Not a fan of the PST2, Meoptas, or Bushnells. But the Vortex warranty and customer service is no-doubt impressive the few times I've had to deal with them. They went above and beyond.

Finally got an opportunity to open a customer service ticket on an XTRIII I dropped on some rocks last elk hunting season (2022). I wrecked the illumination parallax knob, but its still been usable, so I wasn't in a rush.

I filled out the online form with my personal information and problem. An hour later a I received an RMA for free shipping back to Burris via email and a slip to put in the box identifying my issue. So its on its way. So far, easy peasy.

This is the first Burris I've broken in over a decade of hard competitive and recreational use. I literally have owned or still own a couple dozen XTRs in various configurations.

I ordered the 5-25 the other day. It's on backorder...............I assume because I put a post on here about Euro Optic and the deal they have!!!;););););););)

Please explain why Meopta is problematic or you're not a fan of ?. I own more than a couple and I'll stack them up against MY IOR and Zeiss any day . Fyi : Meopta manufactures outstanding optics for some of the leading industries world wide and have for Decades .

https://www.meopta.com/en/

Reactions: Earnhardt
I ordered the 5-25 the other day. It's on backorder...............I assume because I put a post on here about Euro Optic and the deal they have!!!;););););););)

The 5-25 XTRII?
I've got one and have to echo other comments - the optical quality isn't great. In fact mine is so bad that above 20x it's nearly unuseable; I keep it set at about 16x to balance magnification against the poor optics. It also has a very tiny eye box where the image is mostly clear; outside of that it turns blurry. I got mine from euro optic as well, for $599 last summer, and while it tracks well, I honestly wouldn't consider buying another. It tracks well and is solid, but is so fussy to get behind and so poor optically that I'm pretty disappointed with it.

Thinking hard about the 3.3-18 XTRII though, based on comments here saying it's a big improvement.

That’s a great scope, I have one. You’ll like it. 👍🏼
A lot of your posts on here helped!! I also have a few other Burris scopes and they are great.......A 2-7 scout on my M1A 2 RT-6's and a Fullfield 4 on a .350 Legend for Michigan deer hunting.

I was considering the Zeiss S3 4-25, the newer one, but it was 500$ ish more. Didn't see 500$ better than the Burris, but I'm thinking either one would have been great! It's going on my .22 for NRL stuff, a nice upgrade from my Arken SH-4!

Reactions: FuhQ
A lot of your posts on here helped!! I also have a few other Burris scopes and they are great.......A 2-7 scout on my M1A 2 RT-6's and a Fullfield 4 on a .350 Legend for Michigan deer hunting.

I was considering the Zeiss S3 4-25, the newer one, but it was 500$ ish more. Didn't see 500$ better than the Burris, but I'm thinking either one would have been great! It's going on my .22 for NRL stuff, a nice upgrade from my Arken SH-4!
Owning both, you definitely wouldn’t regret getting the Zeiss S3 either. It’s for sure worth the $500 more, IMO, but $500 is a lot of ammo you can buy.

Can you drive a couple 16d nails and post a video?
I'd love to see that.. Hell pound a 10d then mount and shoot, if it tracks and holds zero I'll buy one for every one of my neked rifles

Can you drive a couple 16d nails and post a video?
I'd love to see that.. Hell pound a 10d then mount and shoot, if it tracks and holds zero I'll buy one for every one of my neked rifles

16Ds!! Go big or go home 🤣

I wish I still had the pics of one of my first XTRII 1.5-8's. That thing was a beast! I was shooting a ton of 3 Gun back them I wrecked that scope. It was scuffed, scratched and dented everywhere. Never broke it. Sold it for dirt cheap because it was so fugly.

I have a pair of the Japanese 8x now. Same deal, tough scopes.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
16Ds!! Go big or go home 🤣

I wish I still had the pics of one of my first XTRII 1.5-8's. That thing was a beast! I was shooting a ton of 3 Gun back them I wrecked that scope. It was scuffed, scratched and dented everywhere. Never broke it. Sold it for dirt cheap because it was so fugly.

I have a pair of the Japanese 8x now. Same deal, tough scopes.
I'm super tempted to try one of those xtr3 3-18 non illuminated clearance models on my 6.5 AR10, kinda leary still given the mixed reviews..
Do you feel there's a difference in glass quality between the older non illuminated and illuminated model?

I'm super tempted to try one of those xtr3 3-18 non illuminated clearance models on my 6.5 AR10, kinda leary still given the mixed reviews..
Do you feel there's a difference in glass quality between the older non illuminated and illuminated model?
They say the newer (illuminated) model is a step up in overall quality. But I don’t have any of the 3.3-18’s so no first-hand on that. My only XTR-III is the newer illuminated 5.5-30x56 SCR2 MIL.

I honestly feel like the illuminated version is kind of a GenII version of the optic. There's no difference in optical quality, It's the same glass sourced from the same location. But they smoothed out some rough edges on the knurling, and the mag ring and parallax is a little smoother on average. And I confess, I do enjoy the thicker reticle of the illuminated version. It's more versatile.

I had no issue with the thinner reticle for targets, but the illuminated model is a very good crossover.

I have the 4-20 on a RPR. The scr gets real fine on lower powers and the illumination is needed on low light shots against a dark background. Tracks great, tho....

I’ve had the complete opposite experience. I ran my XTRii 4-20 on my 700 PSS at sniper school, in 2015, and it was easily one of the best scopes in the class. A couple of years ago, I bought a newer version (silver ring) for another rifle and it’s just as good. The XRTii 4-20 at $800-900 is a more than fair price. On sale for under $600, it’s unbeatable bang for buck.

Have any of you ever tried driving a nail with a superbly placed shot ?. It Doesn't always go well :( ,I bent several nails and actually sheared one off once . Remember bullet is arcing when it contacts the nail head . ;)