• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors bet 1911 ccw...

Re: bet 1911 ccw...

One that will run for 500 rounds without choking.

I got lucky with a Colt Combat Commander that will do that. I hear that I was VERY lucky.

For the definitive no-shit 1911 info, check out http://www.10-8forums.com

Unless you are LE, Mil or Industry you won't be able to post, but you can read a ton of good info from folks that bet their lives on their 1911's.

In my experience Kimbers are OK but for the price I would suggest a Spingfield Loaded over the Kimber the ones I have encountered have run great and you can put the extra money towards ammo

I've owned a BUNCH of them and have liked my Springfields and Ed Browns best. However, at this point I only own Springfields.

As I'm not a gambling sort, I'd never buy a Kimber - just too much luck involved with finding a good one.

I would, and occasionally do carry the two Kimbers I own, but both have proven reliable and all the MIM parts are in the spare parts box.

I would take a look at a Dan Wesson Bobtail. I think they are the best value in 1911's right now and they are super tight like a custom but are still reasonably priced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Perryguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Define "best". Find a 1911 that you like and practice. </div></div>

Agree. Best can be from personal taste (everything from metals to forming processes, barrel length and type options, sight options, finish, to the question of LPI on checkering or if to have it at all). To give you an example, Rock Island Armory. They're roughly 1/2-1/3 the cost of a Kimber and roughly 1/2 the price of a Springfield Armory Loaded but they shoot well and almost always run right straight from the box. If there is a problem, Ivan or Arnel will not only make it right they tend to go the extra mile and give the owner's gun an extra bit of lovin' before returning it to them. Never heard ANYONE complain about there CS.

i like my springfield 1911 light weight. its still plenty of weight to be toting around but less than a kimber I have had. It also likes 185gr bullets alot and shoots them at point of aim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Beggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
To give you an example, Rock Island Armory. They're roughly 1/2-1/3 the cost of a Kimber and roughly 1/2 the price of a Springfield Armory Loaded but they shoot well and almost always run right straight from the box. If there is a problem, Ivan or Arnel will not only make it right they tend to go the extra mile and give the owner's gun an extra bit of lovin' before returning it to them. Never heard ANYONE complain about there CS. </div></div>

No offense but I would not trust my life carrying a Rock Island. I know several people whos RIA guns choked right out of the box due to poor tolerances/fit/QC. Sure the company will make it right, but thats not gonna help when my gun jams in a gunfight. If you are looking for a CCW piece, you want something with 100% reliability. In my opinion, the best option would be a new production Colt Series 70.

Ironically enough the most reliable 1911 I have ever owned is an old box stock (except for sights) Norinco. It rattles like a box of nails but it takes any ammo and any mags with no problems and is still chugging along after 5k or so rounds without a single FTF or FTE.

"World's finest close quarters combat pistol and king of feed way stoppages" Ken Hackathorn

I've carried an Ed Brown version of Combat Commander (Kobra carry) for years. The slim profile of a 1911 makes it easier to conceal than a Glock.

I concur with 'shooting4life' above. The Dan Wesson bobtail is pretty nice. I have an early model with the external extractor, runs like a champ and is a little easier to carry.

Was fussy with a Chip Mccormick 10rd powermag, but it runs full tilt with the Tripp and Wilson mags.

Not a great comparison - but it runs 150% better than my ex Wilson CQB.

If you look for an Ed Brown - keep an eye on First Stop Guns in Rapid City SD. At times, they have unloaded new EB's for excellent prices!

just some ideas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Beggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
To give you an example, Rock Island Armory. They're roughly 1/2-1/3 the cost of a Kimber and roughly 1/2 the price of a Springfield Armory Loaded but they shoot well and almost always run right straight from the box. If there is a problem, Ivan or Arnel will not only make it right they tend to go the extra mile and give the owner's gun an extra bit of lovin' before returning it to them. Never heard ANYONE complain about there CS. </div></div>

No offense but I would not trust my life carrying a Rock Island. I know several people whos RIA guns choked right out of the box due to poor tolerances/fit/QC. Sure the company will make it right, but thats not gonna help when my gun jams in a gunfight. If you are looking for a CCW piece, you want something with 100% reliability. In my opinion, the best option would be a new production Colt Series 70.

Ironically enough the most reliable 1911 I have ever owned is an old box stock (except for sights) Norinco. It rattles like a box of nails but it takes any ammo and any mags with no problems and is still chugging along after 5k or so rounds without a single FTF or FTE. </div></div>

None taken. I've seen Colt's, Springfield Armory's, Kimber's, and custom jobs choke right out of the box too. Sorry but I don't trust any gun right out of the box. Not a Glock, not a SIG, not an HK, not even a revolver. You prove you're fit for carry.

I'd like to know what you're calling poor tolerances/fit/QC? Are they Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, or RRA? Nope, but I haven't ran across one that's out of Ordinance Specs.

Below is only the first five pages in this forum on a page search asking the same freakin question. WHEN THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO STOP CONDESCENDING TO LAZINESS???

If you have less than a few thousand posts, plese USE THE SEARCH ENGINE and quit making so many double, triple, quadriple, quintuple etc threads on th3e same dang subject! Jeez O' Pete! The rest of you, QUIT SUPPORTING ALL THE DOUBLE UPS BY ADDING YOUR $.02!!! Find the original thread on the subject and post there AFTER you read through it...yeah, it's like that!
grin.gif

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1196521#Post1196521

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1182987#Post1182987

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1149971#Post1149971

Now if we could just get rid of the FIFTY pages search results of people complaining about others not using the search function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Beggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'd like to know what you're calling poor tolerances/fit/QC? Are they Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, or RRA? Nope, but I haven't ran across one that's out of Ordinance Specs. </div></div>

What do you mean by "Ordinance Specs"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now if we could just get rid of the FIFTY pages search results of people complaining about others not using the search function. </div></div>

LOL.

I estimate about 80 percent of the threads (on any forum) are dupes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Beggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'd like to know what you're calling poor tolerances/fit/QC? Are they Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, or RRA? Nope, but I haven't ran across one that's out of Ordinance Specs. </div></div>

What do you mean by "Ordinance Specs"? </div></div>

Sorry, should have been "Ordnance Specs" not "Ordinance Specs". Should have proof read.

Ordnance Specifications are the tolerences that the 1911 and its components (including material metallurgy) must meet. They are the specified materials and the minimum/maximum dimensions that parts must meet in order to be <span style="font-weight: bold"> workable </span> and the guidelines that all parts, dimensionaly wise, must adhere to or they are considered to be off-specification commercial parts (think Colt specification parts to some degree). The tolerances can often, but not always, be tighter or superior materials used instead, but they set the basic guidelines.

Simple example, take the slide stop. The standard slide stop pin is .2005"-.0020" (there are no National Match dimensions, but most hold them to .2005"-.0005"). In other words, it can be from .1985"-.2005" and meet standard Ordnince Specifications. Where this starts to come into play is tolerence stacking. The standard cross pin hole on the barrel link is .2045"+.0010" (National Match is .2030"+.0010"). A .1970", out of spec, cross pin mated to a .2060", out of spec, link makes for a really sloppy set up and is not optimal for barrel lock up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I estimate about 80 percent of the threads (on any forum) are dupes. </div></div>

Exactly, it's like going to walmart at any time of the day, you are guaranteed that no matter how dead it is there, they won't have enough checkers to get you checked out in less than 15 minutes. You can get upset about it, but it's just wasted stress, better to accept it or go somewhere else. I'm constantly amazed but the number of people that get pissed off in walmart....they knew it was going to be that way long before the left the house, yet they still go there, and still get pissed off.

Every forum on the internet is that way, cycling, hunting, knives, guns, cameras, etc. etc. it's never going to be any different. Especially when the search works so poorly in the first place. The "search" button should just send you to yahoo.com with the box for domain restriction already set to www.snipershide.com because the built in forum search is a joke.

That and just because someone asked the question before does not mean that someone else who didn't post an answer then does not have anything meaningful to add. I doubt many people are using the search to go back and answer old posts. Not to mention products and trends change, a company that was great 2 years ago now might be turning out junk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
EddieNFL said:
Every forum on the internet is that way, cycling, hunting, knives, guns, cameras, etc. etc. it's never going to be any different. Especially when the search works so poorly in the first place. The "search" button should just send you to yahoo.com with the box for domain restriction already set to www.snipershide.com because the built in forum search is a joke.

That and just because someone asked the question before does not mean that someone else who didn't post an answer then does not have anything meaningful to add. I doubt many people are using the search to go back and answer old posts. Not to mention products and trends change, a company that was great 2 years ago now might be turning out junk. </div></div>

I agree completely, I think ragging on people to use the search function when it hardly works is not a very good practice. I know I have searched for things on this forum and could not find the information I was looking for, but I did not want to post the question because of all the "use the search function" posts that I assumed would follow.

I have found an increase of first time gun owners posting on forums (more a problem on other boards than it is on this one) over the last year and a little more patience is sometimes in order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wouldnt a m-9 be better anyway? </div></div>

Better than what? The grip is too big for most hands and it's double action. What is good about that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wouldnt a m-9 be better anyway? </div></div>

Better than what? The grip is too big for most hands and it's double action. What is good about that?
</div></div>

Agreed. If it's gotta be a 9mm there are better choices.

1+ on the Dan Wesson. Best 1911 I have and I have 6 mostly colts. The Colt Gold Cup is/was the worst.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Below is only the first five pages in this forum on a page search asking the same freakin question. WHEN THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO STOP CONDESCENDING TO LAZINESS???

If you have less than a few thousand posts, plese USE THE SEARCH ENGINE and quit making so many double, triple, quadriple, quintuple etc threads on th3e same dang subject! Jeez O' Pete! The rest of you, QUIT SUPPORTING ALL THE DOUBLE UPS BY ADDING YOUR $.02!!! Find the original thread on the subject and post there AFTER you read through it...yeah, it's like that!
grin.gif

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1196521#Post1196521

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1182987#Post1182987

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1149971#Post1149971 </div></div>

Switch,

You are a good man. I normally start off my posts with "Yet another here is my favorite pistol" thread. Other forums I post in delete the dups and reprimand the offenders.

None the less, I have posted, here is some advice on Kimbers:

SIS = all steel gun heavy at the end of the day.

CDP = a better choice. Use the search function to find my patented kimber pre-carry treatment to greatly reduce chances of malfunctions.

+3 on the effectiveness of the search function. most are not idiots who write the dups, more or less frustrated at the amount of time spent trying to find what you want - that matches.

either way, at least there are members who still openly respond without the bs...

The best working .45 I ever carried was a Remington Rand, USMC issue during the 80's. It always shot those fmj's right where I aimed them, and it fit real good on that USMC spec chest rig...yeah, I was winger, so what, that job kicked freakin ass!