• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Better ammo with a round nosed bullet (not Eley EPS) for CLE Upper?

TimK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Woodland Park, CO
www.timkulincabinetry.com
I've always been an Eley guy, but my new Compass Lake upper won't feed any Eley ammo that uses the EPS bullet. Round nosed bullets only. I've been through their lineup and haven't found anything that really performs in this barrel. I'm seeing 1 moa ish at 100y.

I've tried Lapua Center X and SK Standard plus. Both because I had them lying around. Neither shot well. I'm not familiar with the other premium .22 brands. What's out there that might have potential and uses a round nosed bullet?

RWS R50 http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=CategoryBody&c=APRARW

SK Pistol Match, Rifle Match, Biathlon Sport, from the same machines as the Lapua lineup

CCI is worth a go. Rimfire rifles (as you will be aware) have no respect for ammo purchase price. I remember a Master Grade shooter who fed his Anschutz 1413 with Winchester Premium Target (yellow box) made in Australia because it worked best in his rifle. He outshot plenty of good shooters using Eley match and Tenex.

You can try cheap ammunition, but no rifle can make crap ammo shoot accurately.
There are no magic rifles that turn junk cartridges into match quality ammunition.
If you get lucky and find a batch that comes off the assembly line with minimum defects
amazing things can happen. There is a reason that cheap ammo is cheap...minimal quality control.
At 25 yards most rimfire can hit what you aim at.
At 50 yards time of flight, wind and gravity begin to take their toll.
At 100 yards the majority of rimfire ammunition is unable to maintain 1 inch groups.
At 200 yards you'll be lucky to produce 2 inch five shot groups once in a while with 22lr.
The 6x5 rimfire thread that jbell has been hosting, has more than enough target results
to illustrate just how difficult it is to produce decent results with cheap ammo.
Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? No.

Reactions: Lsmart95